My first homemade green juice drink - SHARE Metastatic ...

SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,645 members2,206 posts

My first homemade green juice drink

Hi Ladies!

I have been meaning to throw myself into the world of green juices and smoothies for a while now, but have not had a chance to get round to it yet, as I have been so busy. So after I got home from work I made some bounty bars (mounds for the benefit of my American friends!) and then I decided to make a green drink. My dad likes to visit a local farm every Wednesday, where he will bulk buy fruit and vegetables, then share them with me. I am often left wondering what to do with a dozen cucumbers and other things he brings home. So here's what I added to my drink:

10 grapes

1 tsp of hemp seeds

1 tbsp of green powder (wheatgrass powder (30%), pea protein powder (25%), barley grass powder (20%), spinach powder (15%), ginger powder (5%) and spirulina powder)

The juice of 1 small lemon

1 large Bramley apple

1 small 177ml (6fl oz) carton of apple juice

1 peeled cucumber

Can anyone offer me some tips on how I can improve the recipe for next time? I liked the taste, but I may omit or reduce the amount of apple juice I use, as the carton contained 19g of sugar. Would filtered water be better? What about something leafy, like romaine lettuce?

Thanks!

Sophie x

47 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Sophie

I juice

Half cucumber

2 carrots

1 apple

2 celery sticks

It’s really lovely..the carrot and apple give it a sweet taste

Maybe I should add some of that green powder..I don’t like it but maybe wouldn’t notice in the drink

Barb xx

I make my smoothie with almond milk. That way I don't taste the wheatgrass powder that my palliative care dr. Gave me. She says it's good for building platelets! Hope it works!

1 like

I just bought some almond milk too and will try it. Do you add anything else other than the milk and powder? Thanks.

Sandra

I add a banana, peanut butter, cinnamon and wheatgrass to my almond milk! It's really good. Just like a milkshake! Love milkshakes!

1 like

And spinach!!!!

That sounds really tasty. Thank you! x

Hi Marianne,

I use almond milk in my morning porridge and sometimes in my smoothies too. I like the mild flavour and how it does not overpower things.

Sophie x

Yes. It really forms a nice creamy base!

I need to get my notebook out and write down all these suggestions. I also made some bounty bars earlier, but they were such a mess to work with and make. They tasted good though. My sister-in-law had posted a link on Facebook about the three-ingredient recipe, so I thought I would give it a go. x

I looked up the recipe on line. Sounds so good with just 3 ingredients. Thanks Sophie

I must have done something wrong though because once I had mixed the coconut and condensed milk together it was so sticky that it was hard to form into oblong shapes. They were just shapeless masses! I froze them ages ago and only took them out today to coat them in melted chocolate. But I scorched the chocolate (ugh!) and I had to work fast, as it was hardening before I got to finish the batch. If you find an easier way of making them without the same problems that I had please let me know! x

I will let you know.

1 like

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your suggestions. I bought the green powder from Tesco's for £3. I couldn't taste it. I would say that the cucumber was the most prominent flavour.

Sophie x

Hi Sophie

Got mine from amazon and it’s vile

Barb xx

Hi Barb,

Sorry to hear that. I like this brand. Why don't you have a look in Tesco or Aldi? I like the new range of health food that's now available. My local Sainsbury's also has a really good range.

Sophie x

Hi Sophie. Looks good. If you use cucumber it has so much liquid I usually if I need to thin the juice just add water. I generally only add physical fruits and veggies so the sugars would be naturally occurring ones only. I also always add a scoop of my green powder as you did. My juice varies but typically 1 apple, 1 orange, kiwi, frozen raspberries, blueberries and/or strawberries, 1 carrot, 1 celery stick, handful of either spinach or kale plus the green powder. I also if I have it on hand add some a small piece of fresh ginger and turmeric root.

p.s. I wouldn't add lettuce as your leafy as it has very little nutritional benefit.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for that! I regretted adding the apple juice, as I know it would have been better without it. I want to keep things as natural as possible. I stocked up on a variety of frozen fruit recently, so I shall have to experiment some more.

Sophie x

I’d add live greens to taste. Kale, spinach or Swiss Chard

Thank you! I love all those greens, so that won't be a chore! x

Following!!!

Have been wanting to try this, bought some of the green powder and wow it is awful. Will try some of your recipes!

Hello!

Did you try the same green powder from Tesco? Sorry you didn't like the taste of it. I think because I added so many other ingredients it masked the flavour of the green powder. I found that the cucumber was the most overpowering flavour.

I put a post up a while ago about a recipe exchange. I would be happy to hear from you or anyone else who might want to exchange recipes, trade ideas or just chat about food in general. I am a real foodie!

Take care,

Sophie x

I drink a daily smoothie made from light apple juice, almond milk, blueberries, spinach (I freeze mine when I buy it) and turmeric. I really feel this helps to keep the counts up. Usually run between 3 and 4. Also, a daily serving of v8 helps if you get leg cramps. Round 9 of Ibrance and faslodex😊

Hi Fess,

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Do you thaw the spinach before adding it to your smoothie or is it OK to add it while it is still frozen? All the best with the Ibrance and Faslodex. I am on Letrozole, Zometa and Zoladex. The supplements I take include Adcal D3 (prescribed), Montmorency cherry capsules (my idea) and omega 3 vegan capsules (recommended by my naturopath).

Take care,

Sophie x

Hi Sophie. I throw bananas in mine for texture and use cashew or almond milk instead of juice. Many carton apple juices have sugar added. I use apples, lemon (rind and all!), spinach leaves. I add cinnamon. Each batch comes out different, but delicious. I throw in whatever I have at the moment! Faith

Hi Faith,

I agree with you about the apple juice. I'll omit it next time. Bananas are my new best friend at the moment. I like to make banana ice cream and smoothies with them. It's a good idea to just throw in whatever you have on hand in the kitchen.

Sophie ❤

Oh yes. I think you shared a banana ice cream recipe the other week online, or someone did! There is a great ice cream called, "Everything but the kitchen sink." It has everything in it. I feel like I can ca my smoothies the same except my smoothies are all healthy. I have gone extreme with my diet as I believe it says a part on healing. I ate healthy before DX, but I had more carbs because I could, and loved cheese and cream and butter.... i have always been slim so I could indulge in these and get away with it. Mow I have cut these items out because of the bad rap they get with cancer. It is a personal choice and makes me feel like I have control. I do believe eating healthy choices helps me handle the meds and still work full time. Good food gives me energy, although I wish I had more energy!

1 like

Yes, I did! It is one of Kris Carr's recipes. I love it and don't crave shop bought ice cream anymore. I have also made extreme changes to my diet. I eat less bread, carbohydrates, and less sweets (my weakness!) My oncologist never says so, but I'm sure my diet has played a role in how I have been able to tolerate the treatment and carry on as normal.

I truly believe diet plays a role in all this as well. Of course it does. Unfortunately many doctors don't speak of the correlation between diet and health as they did not receive this area of education at school. Think of other diseases like diabetes and heart disease that can be minimized by diet, even reversed. So why would cancer be different. Cancer is a harder disease to treat, no doubt, but every bit helps. There are several good films to watch about this on Amazon and Netflix. Have a good day. Running off to work and bracing for the extreme cold here in New York...

Hello again Faith!

I agree. Diet has to play a role in our health. As children, we are told to eat our fruit and vegetables and limit our consumption of sweets, chocolate and cake. As people develop other chronic illnesses like diabetes and heart disease they have to make changes to the way they eat, so I don't think it's any different for us. But with cancer it takes a lot of work. It is still doable! It just takes commitment. I have read a lot of cases of radical remission survivors and one thing they all seem to have in common is their change of diet. They reduced or eliminated processed food, and eat more plant based, nutritious food. I have never been a fan of steaks, burgers or hot dogs. I always preferred to eat healthily, but I ate too many sweets. So that has changed. I now eat a lot less sweets and I have learned to adapt recipes I like or make my own healthy confectionery.

I hope the weather is not too bad for you in New York. We have had some snow this week, but as the day has gone on a lot of it has melted and it looks like we may be back into the positive digits again.

Sophie x

It sounds good to me but yes I would not use the apple juice because of the sugar. I always add some spinach to mine as I think it adds a little sweetness. Depending on what else i put in I usually use almond milk as my liquid. Actually I drink 16oz of celery juice each morning. My friend referred me to the Medical Medium and it is something he recommends. I know some people think he is a quack but my son has also been drinking the celery juice as it is supposed to be really good for your gut which he has issues with and he has been so much better. I figure it can;t hurt me that's for sure.

Kim

I've not tried celery juice. I am up for that! I tried carrot juice and also beetroot juice when I was in Iceland recently and I must admit I didn't like either one. Maybe if I had mixed a few different juices then I would have felt differently.

Sophie ❤

Well I am not going to tell you its the tastiest drink but if you like celery its just drinking a bunch of celery. I don't mind it at all. The worst part is cleaning the juicer when you are done but I even have that down and get it cleaned pretty quickly.

Hi Kim,

I haven't bought a juicer yet. I have been making green drinks using my trusted blender (that I have almost killed a few times with my concoctions!) I like celery, so may give it a try.

Thanks for the tip!

Sophie x

Hi Kim. I have read celery is good for us too and cucumbers. Is the medical medium Andrew Or Anthony William's who just came out with a book about Liver Health?

It's Anthony Williams and the book is called The Liver Rescue and as that is where my cancer is I am trying to incorporate some of his suggestions. It's kind of overwhelming with lots of information so your head kind of spins but I am doing what I think makes sense to me and what I know I will do.

Good for you for taking control to help your body heal. The meds help, but I do believe we need to be proactive too and do other things to help our bodies heal. I was debating about buying the book you mentioned. I seem to have accumulated a small library on cancer and nutrition and positivity topics. It is a dead give away that something is going on if I have any visitors.

1 like

Oh funny because I have acquired quite a collection myself. You know, its the one thing that I feel I can control. Never put much thought into self-care other than to eat healthy and exercise which i still do thankfully. But some of the other things I have found very helpful. I don't know about you but I feel pretty good physically its just mentally I struggle sometimes.

Me too. I was feeling pretty good mentally and physically until they told me my situation. Physically I am fine except for some fatigue which again is partially because I still run around like I am in a race. There were a few periods where I felt achey but i think that was the medicine I was on. Letrozole. Now I am on Faslodex. Mentally I think sometimes I dont believe it. It is a wake up call. I do the best that I can. This is all we can do.

So true. And I saw a post that said it’s okay not to be okay. I try and remember that on the days I struggle.

Hi everyone, has anyone else tried coconut water in your smoothies? It adds some protein in your diet. I don’t like the taste by itself but with fruit you don’t notice it. I have to stay away from spinach and leafy greens because of digestion issues, sided effects of ibrance for me. Anyway, have a good day.

Hi Hokie,

I have not tried coconut water in a smoothie before. I see it in the shops all the time, but I have never bought any. With all the different flavour combinations of juices and smoothies there is really no need to buy a readymade one in the cafes and restaurants.

Sophie ❤

I don't like the taste of coconut water by itself. To me it tastes like sweat!! haha - but in a smoothie its good.

Sophie, I o lu

Try orange juice or apple cider . My experience is the lettuce or kale doesn’t chop up small enough to blend in?

Hi Kabe,

Thanks for the tip. I made another green smoothie today. I added a peeled cucumber, some canned spinach (no added salt), green powder, hemp seeds, a couple of kiwi fruit, black pepper, turmeric, and a little filtered water. I must admit it looked awful, but I liked the taste!

Sophie ❤

1 like

The other thing I’ll add is avocado - it makes the smoothie creamier/ thicker

I use rice milk - it works better for my digestive system 🙂

2 likes

Thank you! I love avocados. x

You may also like...