SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,104 members1,389 posts

Made it to Iceland!

Hi Ladies!

I got up at 2:00am today and caught the bus to the airport at 3:30am, took off at 8:15am and landed in Keflavik just after 11:00am. I'm glad it's the same time zone because I always suffer from jetlag otherwise! My husband and I had some lunch and are now relaxing in our hotel. Temperatures are below freezing (Yay! I love this weather so far) and it started snowing after we arrived. At this time of year, there are about six hours of daylight!

I was so excited to learn that there are infrared saunas, along with hot tubs and health/beauty treatments here in our hotel too. I plan to try the infrared saunas and see what I think before I decide if I want to buy one. I'll post some pictures after we get back next Monday.

Have a great day!

Sophie ❤

61 Replies
oldestnewest

I'm glad you made it to Iceland safely! So jealous, enjoy!

xo Jade

2 likes

Hi Jade,

Thanks! I'm enjoying myself in Iceland so far. It's just very expensive here.

Sophie ❤

Sophie hope you and your husband have the best time ever in Iceland! Love, Marianne My brother went to Iceland years ago and loved it.

Hi Marianne!

Thank you so much. It's been fun so far. I'm trying hard to speak Icelandic, but it's been challenging. I'll keep practicing!

Sophie ❤

1 like

You will have to keep going back there to practice!

1 like

You could be right! I love learning new languages, but I haven't had much success with Icelandic yet. I have written lots of phrases down though, so will persevere. I don't give up easily with anything in life.

3 likes

All those spas and hot tub!!! Lucky you

1 like

Thanks! I'm planning to get started tomorrow.

Sophie ❤

1 like

Wonderful Sophie. I'm so envious of you. Well not of the freezing temperatures and snow since I already have that where I live for free lol. But to the experience and adventure. Hope you love the sauna and spa treatments and find inner peace relaxing with your hubby. Enjoy!

Sandra

3 likes

Hi Sandra!

Thank you. I have always been a cold weather girl. I'm not having hot flushes! I lived in America twice and each time I lived in hot climates, which I struggled with. I find colder climates so refreshing and rejuvenating.

Sophie ❤

1 like

I think you should be called superwoman..all that travelling and getting up early!!

I’ll be very interested in the infra red sauna experience!!!

Have fun

Barb xx

1 like

I don't know about that, Barb! I'm not superwoman! I just do the best I can. Travelling has always been my passion, but it was put on the backburner for a while. Now I'm doing more to relax, have fun and travel.

I'll let you know how I get on with the infrared sauna experience. If I like it I might go back every day until we leave on Monday.

Sophie ❤

Good for you

It’s what you deserve !!!

Barb xx

Thanks, Barb! We're off on a city tour of Reykjavik after breakfast.

Sophie ❤

Pamper yourself, Soph. You deserve it.

Margie

1 like

Hi Margie!

Thank you. That's very kind.

Sophie ❤

Terrific! I’ve seen photos of that amazing large thermal pond. Enjoy!

Thank you! I'm going to the Blue Lagoon on Sunday.

Sophie ❤

1 like

I would never go on a cold vacation. I hate the cold. Have a great time.

Hi Barbara,

My dad is the same as you. He hates the cold and always looks forward to the summer so he can sunbathe and get out more. But my mum, brothers and I always preferred the cold. I find hot weather exhausting and uncomfortable.

Sophie ❤

It's funny, I hate the cold yet in summer give me my air conditioner. I don't like it to hot. But love to sit in the shade with warm bones and read all day. At the ocean I love the breeze but sit under umbrella all the time. I have the whitest skin and try to keep that way. 73 years old and hardly a wrinkle.

But like you some people love the cold and all its activities.

We are all different. Glad you had a good time in Iceland. I will plan a nice warm cruise as soon as I finish my 12 chemo treatments. Cruise port is in my town about 5 blocks away. So easy to get to and from. Probably May. Can't wait to be finished with Chemo. But so far second treatment and doing good. Did have joint pain day2-4 after but went away. Will see if it happens this week.

Barbara

Hi Barbara!

I'm glad chemotherapy is still going well for you and you are tolerating it.

A cruise sounds like fun. I've never been on one! I'm still in Iceland. I packed thermals and lots of layers, but I haven't needed them. It isn't as cold as I thought it would be. I leave on Monday.

Take care,

Sophie ❤

You take care also and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Barbara

1 like

So happy to read your post! I’ve never been there but it sounds perfect!! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!! Linda ❤️❤️

1 like

Hi Linda!

Thanks so much for the good wishes. I've wanted to visit Iceland since I was a little girl. There is very little pollution here, recycling is taken seriously and I like what I have seen so far. It seems that Icelanders have a very good quality of life.

Sophie ❤

Sounds so wonderful!! I think travel is so therapeutic and life-affirming! You are an inspiration, Sophie!! ❤️❤️

1 like

SOPHIE

So glad you have made it to Iceland safely! How exciting! Can't wait to hear more and see pictures! Iceland is on my buck list of places I'd like to visit. Be safe, have FUN!!!!!!!

Terri

Hi Terri!

Hopefully you will get to visit Iceland someday too. I am really pleased with it so far. The only thing is that everything is very expensive here.

Sophie ❤

1 like

Oh how lovely - I am "green with grudge" as a German friend of mine once said.

Have a wonderful trip

xx Iz

Hi Izzy!

Green with grudge! I love it. I should use that!

Sophie ❤

Have a lovely relaxing holiday! :-)

Thanks, Julie. I'm enjoying it so far. I tried an infrared sauna today. Wow! What an experience! My husband wasn't so keen, but I felt good afterwards.

Sophie ❤

I love using saunas but never tried an infrared one, was it hot?

It was very hot! It was 50 degrees Celsius!

Wow! Thanks for sharing Sophie, I'm thrilled for you and your husband.

Can't wait for your report on the treatments and pics.

Embrace every moment and fill your spirit up with all that goodness.

Looking forward to hearing about the infrared sauna.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I tried the infrared sauna with my husband earlier this afternoon. Honestly, I felt like a turkey roasting in the oven. The temperature was set at 50 degrees Celsius and we stayed inside for 48 minutes. I don't really like heat, so I just kept thinking about the health benefits. I felt good afterwards though, but I wouldn't want to use an infrared sauna every day. I took a shower, then got in the hot tub and lay in a recliner in front of a roaring fire. Hmm, I just don't know about buying one. I think it would be hard to keep it up.

Sophie ❤

1 like

Wow! That will open your pores!

It did! Normally, it takes a lot for me to sweat, but after about 30 minutes I was dripping from every pore. My husband didn't like it. I tolerated it. I told him it beats getting radiotherapy! At least this isn't toxic!

1 like

Nothing beats a good sauna 😊

Hi Sophie. Remember if you have your own infrared sauna you can set the temperature whatever you want. I usually set mine at 43-45 degrees Celsius, sometimes I go higher but it's my choice.

Sandra

1 like

Hi Sandra,

Yes, that's true! How are you finding your infrared sauna? Do you use it a lot and have you noticed a difference to your health? I think I will have to try it again, maybe closer to scan day to see if it's made any difference.

Sophie ❤

Hi Sophie. We have had an infrared sauna for years and used it often. After my diagnosis I was so numb (mentally) that it never came in my mind to use it. Then I saw some posts here and was having so much bone pain and joint issues that I asked my oncologist if it was ok. So I started back using and it's been about a month I think but whether it's coincidence or not my bone pain is finally improving and even though it's frigid temperatures here at the moment my joint pain is decreased. When I get out of the sauna I never dry off, I let the moisture absorb naturally and then use a shea butter cream( I use the Body Shop) all over and my skin is very soft. Personally my oncologist doesn't think there is enough credible data to support that it would shrink cancers or slow progression.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that the bone and joint pain you were experiencing has lessened and that you are making use of your infrared sauna. I find it frustrating at times when I ask my oncologist, GP or oncology nurses a question about alternative therapies and they don't have any answers. They are just so focused on traditional medicine, that many discount other treatments that could be beneficial for us.

Sophie ❤

1 like

Have a GREAT Trip!

Thank you!

Sophie ❤

Enjoy it, and have a wonderful vacation take care and God bless you

Thank you! I'm enjoying myself so far.

Sophie ❤

Fantastic! We are happy for you! Have a wonderful time! Faith

Thank you, Faith! That's so kind of you.

Sophie ❤

That is awesome! That is on our list to visit soon!

Enjoy!

Thank you, MissyAnn.

Sophie ❤

Enjoy your get away. I woul like to go on a boat cruise. One day i hope before my MBC worsens.

We should all make plans!

Sophie ❤

Wow! How wonderful! Enjoy!! 😄

Thank you! It's been fun so far.

Sophie ❤

Have a great time!!!

Thank you, Kim!

Sophie ❤

Wonderful!!! Enjoy yourself! I'm so happy for you. xoxo

1 like

Thank you!

Sophie ❤

Sophie,

Wow! Your amazing! I’m so happy you had a great time. xo

Well, I don't know about being amazing, but I did enjoy my holiday! Thank you so much.

Sophie x

You may also like...