Bad day! : Hello Ladies, I normally... - SHARE Metastatic ...

SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
3,397 members3,857 posts

Bad day!

SophSP
SophSP

Hello Ladies,

I normally pride myself on being organised, and in control of things. But today everything seemed to go wrong. I have had two back-to-back colds and I have just caught an ear infection that might take a further two weeks to overcome. I noticed that my hearing was not quite right yesterday. It felt like I was underwater, or that I had been flying. But I managed to get a call back from the triage nurse today and she prescribed steroids when she saw me and examined me this afternoon.

But as I was on my way to the doctor's surgery I dropped my phone. I retraced my steps and still couldn't find it. Then when my husband got home from work he noticed a voicemail from a gentleman who had picked it up. So I'm glad I had my husband as my emergency contact in my phone (ICE: In Case of Emergency). I rewarded him with a box of chocolates. I was so grateful, as I had a few forms of ID in the sleeves of my phone cover, including my medical exemption certificate. It would have been a pain replacing that. So I have learned a few lessons today. One, don't keep any ID in my phone that would be hard to replace, and two, don't drop my phone!

I'm hoping for a better Friday!

Sophie x

34 Replies
oldestnewest

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well but glad to hear your phone was found! Sending love and healing energy your way!

xo Jade

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Wintervt

Thanks, Jade! I really appreciate your good wishes. I was actually more upset about the prospect of losing my phone than my health! I have a prescription for the ear infection, so that will soon sort itself out. It's amazing how we can get so tied up in our phones. But I use mine a lot for my business, as a diary, with reminders and so on. So it was a big deal when I got it back. I could have cried!

Sophie x

Wintervt
Wintervt
in reply to SophSP

I totally understand about the phone! I left mine at home today and I feel LOST!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Wintervt

I'm glad my post didn't sound too loopy or that I am obsessed with my phone. I'm not; it was just the wider issues that worried me: how to replace the cards I had stashed in there and getting people's phone numbers again. x

Hi Sophie. Sorry it was one of those days for you and I think we all have them. Glad you will soon be on the mend. I can totally relate to the phone issue. I didn't lose mine but a few days before Christmas it totally died and I lost everything on it including all my contacts and my pictures which was the worst. My hubby got me a new phone right away with the same number but I felt like a detective for the first little while when people texted me as I had to ask who they were. As you say we have so much tied up in our phones these days. Here's to a better Friday. Take care.

Sandra

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to girlsptz

Hi Sandra,

Thank you! I think things are looking up now. I have started taking the steroids to help beat the ear infection and my phone will be glued to my side from now on. Sorry about your phone too. It's such a pain, isn't it?

I am off to Iceland in a fortnight, so I have to be back in tip-top condition by then!

Take care,

Sophie x

Wintervt
Wintervt
in reply to SophSP

Iceland sounds fun! We are planning a trip to France in the spring.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Wintervt

Hi Jade,

I have wanted to visit Iceland since I was a little girl, so this is a dream come true for me. I don't do sunshine breaks on the beach. I love the beach, but sunbathing is not my thing!

Have fun in France. Whereabouts are you going? My husband and I were delayed in France in November on our way to Switzerland because of all the demonstrations that were taking place. I think that's all over now, so hopefully you won't have any trouble.

Sophie ❤

Hi, Sophie! I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end and that there are still good Samaritans in this world!

I was curious about your comment regarding the ear infection and was wondering if you are on Ibrance. I have had a problem with ear congestion, on and off, for the past couple of months, with that water-in-your-ear feeling you get from swimming, except I don't feel like I have a cold. I read on a website that this can be a side effect of Ibrance and to contact your doctor, which I did. I am still waiting to hear back and was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this, since it is completely new to me.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Dianne417

Hi Dianne,

Thank you! Today is definitely shaping up to be a better day. I was so thankful to the man who found my phone and made sure I got it back.

I am not on Ibrance and never have been. When the nurse checked my ears yesterday she found scar tissue. I think it's from a few years ago when I had a bad sinus infection. I waited for over a week before I went to the doctor's, whereas this time I got right on it. I hope you get some good results when you hear back from your doctor. Mine was probably caused by two back-to-back colds. I was reading that fluid can drain into the ear, rather than through the nose or throat, which can cause the congestion.

Sophie x

Dianne417
Dianne417
in reply to SophSP

Thank you for your reply, Sophie! The times my ears did open up were when I was hiking up to the highest point of the island where I was staying (while on vacation), and then I noticed a lot of clear fluid draining through my nose as my ears opened up. I'm still not sure why this is happening, though. I will let everyone know if my doctor thinks this is a side effect of Ibrance.

Have a good day!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Dianne417

You're welcome, Dianne! I was prescribed Beconase by the nurse who saw me yesterday. It's certainly not a nice feeling when your ears get stuffed up, is it?

Enjoy your day too!

Sophie x

Dianne417
Dianne417
in reply to SophSP

Hi, Sophie! Thanks for the info! I just heard from my medical oncologist's office and they do not think the ear congestion I've been experiencing is a side effect of Ibrance, which is good to know. Hopefully, there is a simpler explanation.

Best,

Dianne

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Dianne417

Hi Dianne,

That's good news the ear congestion is not a side effect of the Ibrance. Hopefully it's nothing serious and that it soon clears up.

Take care,

Sophie ❤

Dianne417
Dianne417
in reply to SophSP

Thank you, Sophie! Have a good day!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Dianne417

Thank you, Dianne! You too. x

Hope those annoying colds and ear stuff go away. I had it in December and thought what the hell...do I not have enough to deal with. I swear by Zicam - it really kept my symptoms minimal and recovered pretty quickly. I feel the same as you - when I lose something it makes me crazy as I just don't lose things. That's when I know I am overwhelmed. Hang in there - oh and my husband who said he hated dates, loved the Bliss balls. Really enjoying them and the nice thing is they are so easy to make. Thanks again for the recipe.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Kimr2081

Hi Kim,

Thank you! I hope it clears up soon.

Yes, I know what you mean about having something else as well as cancer to deal with! But you know what? It actually feels like I am having a "normal" illness right now, if you know what I mean! Something that people who are in good health go through but soon recover from.

I'm glad your husband likes the bliss balls. I love them so much. I'm naughty though and use my blender to make them, rather than my food processor. I have nearly killed it a few times!

Have a good weekend!

Sophie ❤

Kimr2081
Kimr2081
in reply to SophSP

I have a pretty heavy duty blender so hope it holds up cause I will definitely make them again. :)

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Kimr2081

That's good! I need to use my food processor and use my blender for what it was intended for!

Sophie ❤

Sophie I hope you feel better. Wow amazing someone found your phone and contacted you! Hoping for better days to come. Marianne

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to mariootsi

Hi Marianne,

Thank you so much! I was really touched by the man's honesty and kindness. He tried calling my dad, a friend and my husband to get my phone back to me. There was even a missed call to my oncology nurses. I'm not sure what they would have said! When my husband heard the voicemail we called my phone and then got it back.

Sophie ❤

I hope your feeling better soon. Glad you got your phone back! I lose or forget mine often. Usually in the house though and we’re all calling it and searching. lol Hope today is better xo

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Sunnydaz

Hi Robin,

I'm feeling better today about everything, thanks! I was just having one of those days yesterday. I can laugh about it now!

Sophie ❤

Good morning, Sophie!! Hope you are back on an even keel. I’m in “recovery phase “ of a cold that flared right after holidays. You have my empathy!! 😘😘 Linda

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to SeattleMom

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry to hear you are getting over a cold too. I bet it's cold in Seattle right now. I've been to Medical Lake, but not as far as Seattle.

Take care,

Sophie ❤

SeattleMom
SeattleMom
in reply to SophSP

Hi, Sophie. Seattle has much milder temperatures than eastern Washington where Medical Lake is located. We are in high 40's, low 50's right now. Eastern Washington gets snow in the winter; and I wish we did, too! :)

Hope you are feeling better, too. I am doing much better today. XXOO

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to SeattleMom

Hi Linda,

That's good to hear that you are experiencing milder temperatures in Seattle. We have had a pretty mild winter so far in the UK, but temperatures dipped to freezing today. We tend to go from one extreme to another when the weather changes. We never seem to just ease our way into hot or cold weather!

I'm pleased to hear you are doing better!

Sophie x

I think disorganized and out of control are pretty common in CancerLand! I had to chuckle about some of the phone comments back to you! I live in a very rural area where cell phone reception is iffy at best and we only have them for emergencies when we are out of town! We don't do anything with them except make phone calls and don't usually give our numbers out. I think that means we're living in a different world than so many! I've heard that many "third world countries" have better cell service than rural America does. I am currently battling medical-medical insurance red tape to get my first ever pair of hearing aids paid for. My main insurance company has a "third party" that handles hearing aids, and while I am grateful for the coverage, and hearing aids are not cheap, the communication process is horrible. The hearing guy phoned the third party at least 3 times when I was at his office yesterday and each time he was told that the reimbursement forms were being faxed or had been faxed to his office. I ended up waiting over half an hour after our appt was over, and still no faxes! After four phone calls today, I finally got the forms via email, but the hearing aid guy had not filed out or signed his part of the forms! It's enough to make me want to scream! I've had the hearing aids for 8 days now and am really liking them. But not happy with the insurance process, that's for sure!

I'm glad your phone was found by a good person who made sure to get it back to you! And I do understand how something like that, especially on top of a cold, can send us over the edge!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to PJBinMI

Hi PJBinMI,

I used to make do without a mobile phone, but I got dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming. Now I rely on it a lot for my business, and if anyone needs to contact me immediately about my two brothers (they have learning disabilities and I am their advocate).

I'm so sorry to hear about the headache you went through with the insurance companies. It's good news everything got sorted out in the end though.

I had my medical exemption certificate in the sleeve of my phone, which exempts me from paying for prescriptions, cancer-related or not. Prescriptions are free for everyone in the UK, apart from England. So here, we only get free prescriptions for children, full-time students, senior citizens, contraception, those who have cancer or other chronic illnesses, those with learning disabilities and on benefits. So basically, if you're an adult in work and in good health you pay £8.80 for each prescription. But as I need refills every month for multiple medications the exemption certificate really comes in handy.

Have a good weekend,

Sophie ❤

PJBinMI
PJBinMI
in reply to SophSP

Yeah, those "little"prescription prices can really add up! I'm fortunate to have good insurance but not everybody in the US does. I think alot of countries handle health care costs better than we do and it makes me both sad and angry that everybody in every country doesn't have reasonably priced and great medical care.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to PJBinMI

I'm glad you have good health insurance. When I lived in America the first time (my husband was in the USAF) I assumed healthcare was free over there just as it is in the UK. I soon learned that is not the case. We were covered while my husband was active duty. Healthcare costs are covered through National Insurance contributions (the British equivalent of Social Security) so we never have to pay to see doctors, for vaccinations, hospital stays or for anything else. But some people choose to go private and pay, which is up to them.

Oh no SophSp!! You dust have a rough day! When it rains it pours. Hopefully today is better for you.

Sending good vibes your way!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Have-faith

Today has been much better, thanks! I'm just feeling tired at the moment. I will probably be heading upstairs to bed soon for an early night. x

You may also like...