SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,132 members1,414 posts

Saw a naturopath yesterday

Hello Ladies!

I hope you are all having a good weekend.

I saw a naturopath yesterday, and just wanted to share how things went. Before I saw Glenys, I filled in her health questionnaire and I also kept a food diary for 5 days (that was my choice). So when I saw her we went over everything in my life, from my diagnosis, the medication I am taking, how I sleep, what I eat, my relationship with food, my exercise routine and more. She was pleased with my diet, exercise, lifestyle and outlook on life. She recommended I add more protein to my diet (eggs or more green vegetables, as I don't eat a lot of meat) and berries. I normally eat berries while they are in season, as I like to forage for them, but I bought some blueberries today while I was out and about. I am also going to start taking vegan cod liver oil capsules and some fruit/vegetable capsules in place of juicing. I am pleased with how well the consultation went and am now looking forward to putting her few suggestions into practice!

Sophie x

66 Replies
oldestnewest

Thank you for sharing. I need to clean up my act. I love sugary carbs and am constantly trying to cut them out. I too don’t eat much meat. You’ve inspired me to have a nice salad today. Happy New Year!

4 likes

You're welcome! My problem used to be my sugary tooth, but I have been able to curb that quite a lot. Enjoy your salad. x

How did you whittle it down? I actually feel queasy without carbs

I just started making my own sweet treats. So if I fancied carrot cake, I would make my own. I had a hankering for Ferrero Rocher lately, so I made my own brand of that too. I made some vegan banana and chocolate chip bread lately (with no added sugar) and that was tasty! I have enjoyed experimenting. x

1 like

Zucchini bread is delicious also.

Thank you! I'll have to give it a go. I love courgettes, so I'm sure it will taste good! ❤

I love carbs too and like you I feel queasy when I don’t have them. I also have a wicked sweet tooth! Sophie I would love to know how you cut down on sugar!

1 like

OK, this was not easy! I didn't go cold turkey or anything like that, otherwise I would probably be doing time at Her Majesty's Pleasure right now! I don't add sugar to my tea, but I sometimes have honey. I make my own confectionery if I want something sweet, or I will buy a piece of homemade cake from a cafe, stall or a restaurant. I also like to snack on dried fruit, which gives me a sweet boost. I also like to make homemade ice cream (banana, chocolate and peanut butter is my current go to recipe). x

Love your post! Did your naturopath explain why he or she suggests cod liver oil? My integrative oncologist suggested fish oil but I forgot to ask her why. You have inspired me to eat “cleaner”!

Sending ❤️

Thank you! When we had spoken about my diet Glenys then asked about fish. I absolutely hate the sight, smell and taste of anything that came out of the sea (except for seaweed) so that is a no-go for me. So she recommended the cod liver oil tablets to get my omega 3 that way. x

I should also mention that the naturopath mentioned the importance of getting sufficient rest, using natural products where possible (cleaning supplies, toiletries, organic food etc), eating a healthy diet with minimal processed food, and just taking the time to take care of myself. So I wanted to pass this on to others on this site. Of course, everyone will have a different experience if they decide to see a naturopath, but this is what I took from our consultation. x

2 likes

Did she ban alcohol?.. I’m not obsessed with alcohol but I do like a tipple!

Barb xx

1 like

I didn't even think to mention alcohol, Barb! Sorry!

Sophie x

I think cutting down on the booze will be my new year resolution..I’m in a dark place at the moment and been drinking gin..Christmas time hasn’t helped and I have no willpower!!

Barb xx

Christmas always brings me to a low point too. Since I found out I had cancer I have only had one glass of bubbly last New Years. I can’t bring myself to drink at all and I miss a nice glass of wine. Nothing wrong with having a drink.

1 like

Well we all know alcohol is not good for us BUT does that mean that I am not going to have a glass or two of sparkling on a weekend night when I want to just feel as if my life is just dandy!!?? Yes, I will. someday I may feel that is over but right now, just not there.

1 like

I think if I saw someone and they told me to totally ban alcohol I would leave their presence right away. I enjoy a nice glass of red wine after dinner several times a week and it's been approved by my oncologist. This disease has taken so much from me at my age of 55 and I'm refusing to let it take away my indulgence of sipping a nice glass of wine.

What do you like to drink Barb? ' Tipple' must be a British term.....I'm not familiar with it.

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Tipple is slang for a drink..I like gin and tonic or wine

B xx

Thanks Barb. Then I can say that I plan to have a tipple or two in a few hours from now. Happy New Year to you.

Sandra

Happy new year

Barb xx

Less than 2 glasses wine or beer per day, but really much better off less.

I take a blueberry powder and a red mulberry powder in a drink every day. You can order a nice size quanity through bulksuppliments.

1 like

This is great, I read up on mulberries, really food for you. What is the difference between the white and red? Also, what else do you incorporate daily to help keep you healthy and the cancer at bay, other than the meds? If you could share would be great, for us new at this :) thank you so much

I founded all volunteer cancer nonprofit Annie Appleseed Project to provide the evidence around natural approaches. Helps us all.

Sorry I did mean white mulberry--its red!!

I make a protein drink with mulberry, blueberry powder from bulksuppliments, a prebiotic from Dr. Steven Gundy, dribose powder and dmannons powder from bulksuppliments, ground flax seed and ground hemp hearts that I order on Amazon with and unsweeetened coconut milk by So. I put all in a mixer bottle and have sometime during the day. For me its a meal. I have noticed that I need a bit more protein than before for some reason so this I try to do daily. The diribose is great for your heart and gives you energy. It is somekind of natural sugar but all doctors tell me that they do not respond the same way other sugars do to the cells. So, we will see.

I also began in past few months to eat the Budwig diet cottage cheee/flax see oil combo. I actually really like it. You can find online. I eat first thing in AM and last PM on empty stomach and I thow some extra fresh groung flax seed on top and a few berries or cut up dark grapes. Eat the rainbow daily--colors of vegs, etc. Keep meats to minimum. And may be helpful to look up food for your blood type.

No one ever said that MBC isn't a full time Job!!!! 24/7.

I love you ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for all you give me and allow me to give back!!

Means so very much!!

Happy new year!!

Thank you for sharing your visit! A naturopath is my next step but not covered by insurance so I have to somehow save up for a visit. I also love sugar and carbs. Have to work on that. Cod liver pills would be good also because I don't eat much fish at all. Really helpful post.

You're welcome, Marianne. I went private with my search for a naturopath, as their services are not covered under the NHS. It was only £60 for a 90-minute session though, which I think was worth it. I wish you well as you begin your own search for a naturopath. As you like sugar and carbs I would try to find healthier alternatives. I am planning to make some Bounty bars (Mound bars in America) soon as I have all the ingredients. x

Sounds delicious! Thank you.

It's just 3 ingredients:

2/3 cup of condensed milk

3 cups of coconut flakes

Melted chocolate

Mix the condensed milk and coconut together and form into oblong shapes. Then freeze. After about 30 minutes dip in chocolate and chill.

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds quick, easy and sooooo good!

You're welcome. I'm going to use unsweetened coconut that contains no sulphur, preservatives, or GMO ingredients, and cooking chocolate that is free from gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, soya and other ingredients. I couldn't find any unsweetened condensed milk though. So this is going to be healthier, but hopefully still tasty.

Makes sense to use healthy ingredients. That's my New Year's resolution - to eat healthier with healthier ingredients. Usually I don't keep my resolution s but eating well is so important for all of us. Just know that I don't like kale (yucky) so going to work more spinach into my diet!

I know what you mean. I have always eaten a healthy diet, but I have tweaked my diet a lot since my diagnosis and eat healthier than I have ever done before. I still have a few cheats about once or twice a week. I am not keen on spinach, unless it's cooked. If it's in a salad, I feel like I am eating rabbit food! As you are not so keen, how about ditching the kale for broccoli or cabbage instead?

I like cabbage but only as coleslaw.

1 like

I am sitting here reading how all of you ladies watch your diets so well.

I FEEL SOOOO! Guilty🥄😘

I have been watching my diet and weight for so many years when I was working. Always trying to look good. My job was doing microdermabrasion and laser treatments for sun damage on women. Had to look good!

Since I was diagnosed I lost the momentum to look perfect. My boss keeps telling me to come in for some Botox and I just lost interest. Do not feel pretty any more. Who sees me who cares attitude.. I lost weight from my last meds, do not want to gain or lose anymore. Will start IV chemo next week will lose my hair.

I eat whatever my husband gives me, and he does not have a healthy diet. I eat a bit, not like I used to.

I seem to think this is all short term.

I give you all a lot of credit to actually think and plan your healthy meals.It kind of feels good to not worry about what I eat..

Well Keep up the good work I hope I get back to that place after my treatments are over.

I am going to color my hair right now. I do put makeup on and dress nice every day, so I am trying.

Barbara

1 like

Barbara, don't feel guilty at all! My husband is and has been for quite sometime the main chef in our home. He definitely loves to experiment and indulgence gourmet foods is the way he tends to cook, so healthy is questionable but delicious for sure. For the first 3 months when I was diagnosed I completely lost my appetite, nothing interested me and when I tried I could manage a few bites. I originally thought it was the medications but I now know it was the emotional turmoil of diagnosis. Anyway I quickly lost 35 pounds and my oncologist was not happy. Had me try those dreaded 'ensure/boost etc' type of drinks and they are definitely not my bag.

Thankfully that passed and my appetite returned. I do eat greens, fruits and vegetables but enjoy specialty cheeses ( lots of dishes my hubby cooks uses them), all types of meat protein and basically whatever I want. I do plan to get back to making a small green smoothie each day in the new year but I certainly do not obsess about my diet. Frankly I have far more to worry about. Like you I do try and dress nice and look presentable most days.

Take care. Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Your husband's gourmet cooking sounds intriguing! It must be so nice to have him prepare indulgent, experimental meals for you. My husband is a great cook too, but he is a meat and potatoes sort of man, whereas I lean more towards vegetarian/vegan food, with just a little meat each week.

Take care,

Sophie x

Thanks Sophie. I indeed am very lucky and not just because of his cooking skills. We have been soul mates since we married over 32 years ago. He has taken on most of the 🏠 duties now and never complains. Of course he still works full-time too. He is my rock.

Sandra

1 like

You're welcome, Sandra. Your husband sounds like an amazing man, and you are both very fortunate to have one another and to have such a solid marriage. My husband and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary in August. I have known him since I was a teenager and feel very happy and blessed to have him in my life. He, too, is my rock. I would not be without him. x

Thanks for that. Actually this is the first time in years that I did not worry about what I eat. Kind of nice. When I was on the Afinitor All food tasted horrible so I did not eat at all and lost 25lbs. I did have a few pounds to lose never want to do it so fast again. Skin was loose etc. I am 73 so I do need a few lbs to make my face look better. Hope I do keep appetite when on chemo. Lucky I am not into sweets. And since my bout with Afinitor I lost my taste for red sauce and pizza, really upset by that.

Well thank you for making me feel better. Trying to think positive.

Barbara

1 like

Hi Barbara,

You have no reason to feel guilty. I'm sorry if my post made you feel that way. We all face so much with our diagnoses. I never imagined I would be dealing with metastatic breast cancer in my 30s, and then having to make choices about what kind of treatments to have, where to be treated and so on. For me personally, I have made a lot of changes because I want to take back some control. I can't control the fact that I have this disease, but I can make a difference to my outlook and improve my health.

Please take good care of yourself. If maintaining your current lifestyle works for you and is making you happy, then why change it? All the best as you start chemotherapy this week. Let's hope it goes well for you and you do not have any severe side effects. When I was considering chemotherapy I tried to look at the positives. I have very thick, naturally curly hair, so I was hoping that when I lost my hair it would grow back straight and fine! I also sorted through my scarves and practised tying them. I got some hats too and put them in a drawer, so I could still look stylish with no hair. A friend of mine also mentioned another "bonus" (if you can call it that). She said she didn't have to shave her legs during chemotherapy. By the way, judging from your profile picture you are beautiful!

Take care,

Sophie x

Thank you. Don't feel guilty for taking care of your health. I admire all of you ladies that try to eat so healthy. My daughter bought me a vitamix blender to make healthy drinks. And I may need that. So please keep up the good work. I will try to get there.

I did buy some nice hats and cancer care gave me three nice wigs. I think it's the waiting to start that is driving me nuts.

1 like

Thank you! I have a blender too, but I mainly use it for making homemade ice cream or when blending ingredients to go into truffles, cakes and other recipes, than I do smoothies. They are so versatile!

I know what you mean about waiting to start treatment. I can honestly say that the two months between my diagnosis and the actual start of treatment was the worst part of all this (I'm undergoing hormone therapy). Getting going with treatment feels like you are finally doing something rather than just waiting and worrying that things might be progressing. I hope you are treated well by staff at the hospital and that you can relax during your chemotherapy treatments. When I have gone in for my three-monthly infusion treatments I have felt relaxed and at ease as I lay back in a recliner. We even have a lady come round taking tea and coffee orders and there is music playing in the background. I am hoping it will be the same when I change over to the mobile cancer treatment bus in February. If I don't like it, I will switch back to going to the oncology department at the hospital. x

I do hope it is a comfortable experience. I go to infusion dept for My Faslodex and xgeva now. They do have recliners and tv's in each area. The nurse said they will give me Benadryl when I arrive and provide lunch when I am hungry. I just need to bring my kindle and iPad if I want as the treatment will be about two and a half hrs. I have pills to take night before to help with nausea. So I hope all goes well. But I did not heard music it was very clinical.

I guess I will get through it. Just hope I have good results and I am nervous for nothing. Thank you helping me with this. You are very young to be going through this. It must be very hard on you. But you seem to have a good outlook. I will keep you posted.

Barbara

1 like

Hi Barbara,

It sounds as if you have a few bases covered already with the possible nausea and lunch being provided when the time comes. I remember one time when I was in the oncology department having an infusion and the man sitting opposite me was having chemotherapy. He said he was going to be there for 8 hours. He came well prepared with plenty of reading material. I try to remember to do the same thing, otherwise it can get a bit boring just sitting there!

I am hoping you have good results too. Is this your first time having chemotherapy? If so, it's understandable to be afraid of the unknown. I would sometimes go with my mum to her chemotherapy appointments, but it's not the same as having it yourself though.

It has been hard dealing with this disease. I don't think the shock is any better or worse if you are a child when you are diagnosed, a young adult or elderly. It is still a terrible blow. I had a school friend who was diagnosed with leukaemia when she was 11 and she died at the age of 18. Then my mum had non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and died at the age of 66 back in 2004 (she was in her 40s when I was born). What can be hard is when I attend some routine appointments and I then face the "profiling" and judgement from medical staff who wonder why I am there. For all intents and purposes, I am young, fit and healthy. I had that happen when I had my pneumonia vaccine recently. The nurse thought there was a mistake, as it's not normally given to people my age. I showed her the letter from my oncologist, and that convinced her I could have it.

All the best as you move forward with chemotherapy. I hope it will work for you,

Sophie x

Thank you Sophie and this is my first time for chemotherapy. I always bring my kindle to all my appointments. I am there for 2-3 hrs just for xgeva or doctor visit.

Thank you again and I wish you a happy New Year.

Barbara

Where are u getting treatment? My place is supposed to be a private center but It reminds me of some kind of clinic! No tvs no lunch no private rooms ..and I’m only 48 so sometimes I feel like I’ve invaded Hospice...and if I can excape without some random 65 year old male hitting on me it’s a miracle! It’s like dude seriously here’s my mom she’s 67 and more your age bother her! 😂😂😂

Sorry just had to vent...🙈😂🙈

Sorry, but you just made me smile! I think it was the "random 65 year old male" scenario that did it!

1 like

I go to Rutgers in Newark NJ. It is not bad they have stations set up all around a huge room with a nurses desk in the middle. You have a recliner a table and a tv. No privacy as far as I can see. No room to bring my husband or a friend. But I would rather just sit and read or sleep. Close enough to call my husband to pick me up. I live in Bayonne, NJ only about 5 miles. They are nice to me there. They all know me by name so I am comfortable there.

You are so young also to be going through this. Not that any age is better. I am glad my children are grown. They have a hard enough time dealing with it now.I am glad I could just retire, but I did enjoy work. Now I will try to travel a lot when this is over. I hope!!

Thank you Barbara

1 like

You aren’t alone. My diet is awful. I try to eat some good foods but when I’m depressed I eat junk ☹️. I haven’t worn makeup in a year and before I never left the house without it. I did go and get my hair cut before Xmas. It’s hard to care what you look like when you are struggling to make it through the day

Not only that it seems like by the time you put on your makeup and get dressed, straighten the house do laundry it is time to take it all off and get ready for bed.haha.

It is cold so no where to go if you go to store you spend money on things you do not need. Most days I sit and read or play games on my iPad. Do miss work sometimes.

Well you have a good day and thanks for getting back to me.

Barbara

Hi Sophie,

I am seeing a naturopath also. I love how thorough she is. We did some bloodwork to see different levels of things that my oncologist doesn't. She too wanted me to add some animal proteins back in my diet but said they should be organic eggs, wild salmon or organic free range chicken. She recommended some supplements and also the Juice+ supplements. She is really trying to boost my immune system which honestly isn't too bad. She has suggested some Vitamin C IV therapy and I haven't decided on that as its $185 a session and not covered by insurance. I might try and do it every other month. She gave me an article about how Vitamin C has been shown to help with cancer. I am going to continue seeing her as it makes me feel like its one area of my life that I can control. Glad you had a good visit too.

Happy New Year!!

Kim

Hi Kim,

I'm glad I saw a naturopath too. I will probably do a follow-up with her in a few months to see how I am getting on and to also get the results of my next blood test, but I just heard back from one of my oncology nurses who said I don't need to take cod liver oil, as my blood tests are all good and I eat a healthy diet. I have already ordered two bottles, so I shall give them to my husband! I was given the green light to order some Juice+ tablets though.

All the best!

Sophie x

Added sugars are definitely not good for us. But fruits, DATES in particular taste great (sweet) but amazingly do not raise our glucose levels. Ain't nature amazing? I became a vegan at diagnosis Jan 1993. As I move toward the 26th cancer versary, I am well. l Iive my life eating as much ORGANIC food as possible. I do other things including detox using coffee enemas. Here is how that is done: annieappleseedproject.org/w...

Hello Annie!

Thanks for that! I agree with what you say about sugar. I have adapted a lot of recipes lately, and even when I left the sugar out I was not left feeling as if I was missing out. I also love dates. I use them to make bliss balls and they are delicious! It is so inspiring to hear that you have been living with cancer for 26 years. I will be coming up to my first anniversary in March 2019.

Sophie x

Thanks for the info. I see a lot of recipes using dates. Going to have to try them. It’s inspirational to hear you are thriving so long with cancer. Gives us all hope.

Happy New Year. Kim.

Try this recipe for bliss balls, Kim! You will love it:

1 cup of raw almonds

24 pitted dates

2 tbsp of raw cacao powder

1 tbsp coconut oil

Blitz the ingredients in a blender and form into 24 balls. Then roll in some extra cacao powder and refrigerate. They stay fresh for a few days.

I am going to the store today so will get some dates and make them. Sound yummy!!! Thanks!!

I hope you like them! By the way, I use 1/4 cup of almonds. Sorry for the misprint.

1 like

I made the Bliss balls today. They are delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

I'm glad you liked them, Kim!

Sophie x

Sounds great Sophie. Do these freeze well do you know?

Sandra

I don't know if the bliss balls freeze well, Sandra. I normally just refrigerate them and they will last for a few days.

Sophie x

I love goat milk yogurt with applesauce. Creamy and tart and appley.

That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your suggestion, Gwennie. I like to make my own apple sauce. I add a touch of nutmeg or cinnamon as the apples are reducing. x

You may also like...