Who else uses an outside gym? - SHARE Metastatic ...

SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer

4,096 members4,868 posts

Who else uses an outside gym?

SophSP
SophSP

Hello Ladies,

I have recently started using an outside gym that is in the next village to me, and I love it so far! I have been meaning to add more exercise to my daily routine, but I have been making lots of other lifestyle changes and so had not got round to this yet. My husband suggested I use an indoor gym, but I would see that as too clinical and like another "appointment" that I need to keep. But with this I don't have to put in any extra effort, as it's located right outside a nature reserve where I walk a client's dog. So I can either work out before walking him or right after I have dropped him back home. I would much rather watch trees swaying in the wind than be stuck indoors with dozens of other people working out, but that's just me! I have added a picture of some of the exercise machines.

Does anyone else use an outside gym?

Sophie x

16 Replies

That's great Sophie! I teach exercise and occasionally I have got to teach outside. It is so much fun to be outdoors compared to being surrounded by machines! I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm happy for you that you have that option! Enjoy!

SophSP
SophSP in reply to 13plus

Thank you! I'm glad you are on the same page as me! I bet it's fun teaching the exercise classes outdoors. I've seen a lady who is local to me teach exercise classes down by the river here in town. I much prefer being outdoors. It just seems more fun than working out indoors. I might feel differently when the cold weather sets in though! It's still pretty mild at the moment. x

I don't have one near me but when visiting friends in Buckinghamshire there was one in their local park which was great fun. I think they are a great idea.

SophSP
SophSP in reply to Julie2233

It's a shame there are no outside gyms closer to you, Julie. Do you have any nice walking trails, forests or anything like that near you? I'm in Suffolk. We have an outside gym here in town and the one in the next village to me, which I took a picture of. I just think that if I am going to exercise more I need to do something that will motivate me, not something I will quickly get bored of. Being in an inside gym would bore me to tears. I might get back into swimming again just to keep things interesting and there are some great walking/bike trails near me that I want to explore on my bike. My mind is buzzing with ideas of what to do next! x

Julie2233
Julie2233 in reply to SophSP

I am really lucky, I live on the English Welsh border and we have some fabulous walks quite near, lots of hills, rivers and castles.

I work in Shrewsbury which is relatively flat and a lovely town, so when the weather is ok I try to get out for a walk or cycle ride at lunch time. I keep a bike at work, I bought it secondhand for next to nothing as it needed repairing. I really enjoy getting out on it and I feel so much better when I exercise. I'm a keen photographer and that is often my motivation to get out and Shrewsbury is quite photogenic :-)

SophSP
SophSP in reply to Julie2233

That's great you live in such a beautiful part of the country! Having all of that wonderful nature on your doorstep must be great.

Ipswich was listed as one of the "9 most desirable places to live and work in England" in an article in the Independent last year and I heard on a programme recently (Escape to the Country, I think) that more and more people are moving to Norfolk and Suffolk in search of their rural idyll.

I feel better after exercising too. I really feel it makes a difference, not just to our bodies as we deal with this disease, but to our minds and mental faculties too. I just got through reading "Radical Remission" and while I did not agree with everything in the book, I did agree with the author's view on cancer patients' mental health and how a positive outlook has a powerful affect on the immune system. She mentioned that in some studies, cancer patients who were suffering from depression did not do as well as those who had a more positive outlook. That was a sobering thought, so I try to make sure I get my daily dose of happiness and joy, in spite of this disease.

Have a good weekend!

Sophie x

Julie2233
Julie2233 in reply to SophSP

I couldn't agree more! :-)

I’ve never seen these!! But what a great idea! I believe the energy you can pull from Nature to be very healing

SophSP
SophSP in reply to blms

Thanks! I think outdoor gyms are a great idea too. Not everyone wants to buy a gym membership or be amongst others when they are working out. I just did a search to see where they are available. As well as here in the UK, outdoor gyms can also be found in Portugal, France and Australia. I thought there would be some in the USA too, but I didn't come across any. Then I looked again, and came across the following article:

athleticbusiness.com/outdoo...

Ha-ha! I live in Minneapolis, MN, USA--and we now have snow on the ground--so no outdoor exercise for awhile except walking in the snow! Right now I do yoga at home and resistance exercises. We have a Gilda's Club close by and I am going to try some of their exercise classes. Do you remember Gilda Radner? The club's are for those with cancer--and were started in her memory. Keep up the good work!

SophSP
SophSP in reply to lovetopaint

I have not heard of Gilda Radner. I will have to look her up. Thanks! x

blms
blms in reply to lovetopaint

Absolutely Remember her!! Too funny! I muss clean non mean humor! She had ovarian cancer I believe.

I remember Gilda and her comedy. Roseanne Rosanna Danna and Emilly Latilla were favorites. She left us at such an early age. What a beautiful legacy she left with her Gilda's clubs. I'm glad you're near one.

13plus
13plus in reply to diamags

Sadly the original Nth Jersey club closed back in 2015. I can't recall the reason why, and there was contention about the changing of the name. I'm glad some are still called the same in her honor.

A local hospital has taken over the offerings in the community there.

google.com/amp/s/amp.northj...

Hi!

I like the outdoors! So half the year outside...but now definitely inside! I was going to do 5k on Thanksgiving but it was only 25 degrees...😱 too cold for me...

SophSP
SophSP in reply to Rhwright12

Hi!

It sounds as if winter has set in where you are. Good for you for being able to run 5k! I wouldn't be able to manage that.

Sophie ❤

You may also like...