SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,473 members1,882 posts

Has anyone seen a naturopath? How did it go?

Hello Ladies,

I have been in contact with a naturopath and will call her back tomorrow to make an appointment for the end of December. I obtained a printout of my latest CT scan and blood test results when I saw my GP for my Zoladex injection today to take with me to show her.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen a naturopath and if so, how did it go?

Thanks,

Sophie x

20 Replies
oldestnewest

I will look forward to your info after seeing the naturopath. My next step is to see one also. Thanks, Marianne

Thanks, Marianne. I will include an update once I have seen the naturopath. The date she has suggested is 28th December. She doesn't work weekends and is mostly only available on Tuesdays, but when she got back to me about being available on the 28th I was pleased about that, as I will have some time off work around that time. She asked for my latest CT scan and blood test results, which my GP printed off for me today when I saw her. I plan to keep a food diary before I see her, and I will compile a list of questions about supplements and so forth.

Sophie x

Cool.

Hi Sophie,

I see an integrative oncologist and she is amazing! My regular oncologist recommended her (they work together) due to my interest in supplementing my regular meds with natural therapies. After looking over my medical records and blood work she suggested the following:

Vitamin D

Coriolus Mushrooms

Melatonin

Fish Oil

During my next visit I will have a acupuncture treatment.

xx Jade

1 like

Hi Jade,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. What's the fish oil like? Does it taste like fish? If so, I will probably throw up if I take it, as I cannot stand the taste of anything fishy. I am already taking Adcal D3 (vitamin D and calcium carbonate) as my oncologist recommended it to strengthen my bones and there is melatonin in the Montmorency cherry capsules that I take. I just don't want to add any new supplements until I know for sure they will not interact with the medication I am currently taking. My treatment plan is already working very well, so I want to help optimise that and keep moving forward. My goal is no less than remission.

I hope your acupuncture appointment goes well. I have my next complementary therapy session (back massage) on 4th December.

Sophie x

Hi Sophie,

I take a pharmaceutical grade fish oil that tastes like orange (no fishy taste at all). Everything that my integrative oncologist recommends works with my current meds. Like you my treatment plan is working well and I am hoping for remission well!

Are the Montmorency cherry capsules for joint pain?

Enjoy your massage!

xx Jade

Hi Jade,

That sounds interesting. If the naturopath suggests the same for me, then I will go ahead and try the fish oils. I'm glad your treatment plan is also working. My last CT scan results showed no progression and the tumour in my breast has shrunk by about 1cm. My blood test results were very good too and all within the normal range, apart from my RBC, which was slightly elevated. But I am hoping that will go back down.

I first learned about the cherry capsules some years ago when my husband and I were looking for a natural way to treat his gout (it runs in his family unfortunately). He ended up opting for conventional medicine, so he takes allopurinol instead. I'm not sure how they work, but they have natural anti-inflammatory properties and also melatonin. So I actually find that I have no pain (or very little) and I sleep well most nights. I used to have such a hard time sleeping before my diagnosis.

Sophie x

I saw one and he put me on mega doses of vitamin D3, curcumin and green tea. I had to stop the curcumin abd green tea because i started a blood thinner. I still take 5,000 IU D3.

Thanks for letting me know how your appointment went, SpiffyCJ. It's a good job you came off the supplements before they interacted with your blood thinner. My mum used to take Warfarin and it would sometimes cause terrible nose bleeds, as her blood wouldn't clot. Her GP would have to come out to give her injections of vitamin k to stop the bleeding.

Sophie x

Your question is a little eerie, since I just saw a naturopath yesterday for the first time. Some of it was a little "woo woo", but some of it was interesting and possibly helpful. Some of her suggestions I will run past the oncologist and some questions I had I emailed to my nurse navigator. A couple of her suggestions I could implement fairly easily and made sense.

I figure anything that will help promote health and prolong quality of life is worth trying. Besides, I have spent money on far worse things!

S

I'm glad you had a fairly positive experience with your naturopath, Oilermama. I agree that we have to be careful and make informed decisions. There are certain things I would not be willing to try, but if there are some sensible suggestions on such things as diet and supplements that could help me then I am willing to listen. I made an appointment to see a naturopath on 28th December, so that still gives me time to compile a list of questions I want to ask her.

Sophie x

One thing that she suggested was "dry brushing" to help stimulate the lymph system. And jumping for two or three minutes on a mini tramp also helps with lymph system movement. Go figure!

1 like

Yes, I do many of these things. And dry brushing lymphs is part of my daily routine as well. It does not really exfoliate as these are not areas you would need or want that. It is a light touch. You can get a youtube explanation, there are different ones so find one you like best. You can order your brush on amazon and keep in bathroom before your bath.

I have been dry brushing too since I read about it in one of Kris Carr's books. I've neglected it lately, but plan to start again. x

Cam you please explain dry brushing lymphs? Like how is this done? How is it beneficial?

I have not seen a Natropath but I too am VERY interested in seeing one! After the first of the year I plan to find one.

I saw a naturopath at cancer center and she recommended mistletoe if I was going to do alternative means. She said it had more clinical trials and was used often in Europe. I sought out treatment and feel better than ever. I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in 2013. Check out Believe Big for info on that

Hi Cayce,

I have heard a bit about using mistletoe, but not much. Whereabouts in Europe is it being used? I'm in the UK, so if there is somewhere near me I can look into that. That's great how you are doing well six years in. It's been 10 months since my diagnosis, and eight since I started treatment.

Thank you!

Sophie ❤

I think Germany and Switzerland mainly. Right now John Hopkins is doing clinical trials in the U.S.

OK, thanks. I researched the UK and found several cities where mistletoe therapy is offered.

You may also like...