Juicing 101: Can anyone share some ti... - SHARE Metastatic ...

SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,844 members2,654 posts

Juicing 101: Can anyone share some tips with me?

SophSP
SophSP
23 Replies

Hello Ladies!

I hope you are all having a good day.

I just wanted to pick the brains of those of you who are into juicing. Can you offer me some tips? It's something I want to start doing, but I don't really know much about it. For example, what type of juicer should I buy? How often do you juice? And can you share some recipes with me? Since my diagnosis, I have upped my fruit and vegetable intake (it was large anyway!) and I eat more green vegetables. I was actually craving cabbage yesterday, so I ate a whole savoy cabbage. It was so satisfying and was better than a chocolate fudge cake!

Thank you!

Sophie x

23 Replies
oldestnewest
nstonerocks

Oh my, I wish I found cabbage yummier than chocolate cake. May I suggest Kris Carr’s website. She has a stage 4 cancer and juicing is her number one priority. There is a lot of info on her website. She also has a book on juicing. There are 2 kinds of juicers: centrifugal and macerating. The macerating juicer is preferred because it has lower rpms and therefore less heat, preserving more nutrients and enzymes. The Breville fountain juicer is a recommended macerating juicer. I have an Omega centrifugal juicer. Juicers go for between $100 and $300. A good website for exploring juicers is “The Juice fanatics.” I try to drink at least 10 oz daily tho I’ve been remiss. There are lots of recipes online, but it’s generally accepted that you should have 3 parts veggies to one fruit. I usually do the same thing: kale, cucumber, lemon, pineapple. Sometimes add a carrot. It’s pretty green and might not be palatable for a lot of people. I feel much more energy when I juice. I work as a school nurse and rarely get sick despite being on Ibrance. Hope this helps

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to nstonerocks

Hi Nstonerocks!

Thanks for sharing your insight. Yes, I am a bit weird like that! Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate cake, but at the time it's the head of cabbage that I had in my kitchen that was calling my name!

I have read one of Kris Carr's books and visited her website (although not recently) so I shall stop by again and see what I can glean. I will have to see if I can get hold of a good juicer from Amazon.co.uk, as I will need a 220v appliance, rather than a 110v.

Your juice recipe sounds delicious. I love all of those ingredients! Once I return from my holiday I will get right on it with shopping around for a good juicer and get going. It sounds like juicing has really helped boost your immune system, which is great.

Thanks again!

Sophie x

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to SophSP

I’m having one for lunch. I do like cabbage cooked with a little butter. Love red cabbage! But doesn’t satisfy me when I want to inhale chocolate cake. pineapple good for digestion.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Hidden

Enjoy your juice! It sounds really good.

girlsptz

Thanks for the recommendation of Kris Carr. I have bookmarked her site and will investigate later. Today I am heading in for my q 3 monthly Zometa infusion and since we live in the country it takes up multiple hours driving. Oh well what can you do. Take care.

Sandra

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to girlsptz

I live in Central NJ and travel up to 3 hrs each way to NYC. It is a whole day outing what can we do? Safe journey

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Hidden

I'm sorry to hear you both have far to travel for hospital appointments. I hope that you are able to make the most of the day and perhaps do something nice afterwards while you are there. That's what I try to do after my appointments, such as go out for a meal or go shopping.

girlsptz

Hi Sophie. I do have the Breville fountain juicer that Nstonerocks recommended and it is great. However I must admit I have gotten lazy and don't like to deal with the pulp extraction so I make my juices/smoothies in my Blendtec now. I add more greens than fruits and sort of use whatever I have fresh on hand plus I have the frozen variety when I am really lazy. Like Nstonerocks said it definitely gives you more energy.

Sandra

1 like
SophSP
SophSP
in reply to girlsptz

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to make a note of what you and Nstonerocks mentioned and start my research soon.

I hope your Zometa infusion goes well. I have mine scheduled for next Monday morning. You said you live out in the country, but is there a hospital closer to you where you can go for treatments? I don't like having to travel far either. My hospital is less than half an hour away, but it is still time out of my day to get there for appointments.

Take care,

Sophie x

Snowcone16

Juicer-Breville. Got mine on amazon. It had 4* ratings.

There is lots of literature that says you should drink it shortly after making. But, some say you can stretch 6-8 hrs. I drank half immediately and saved the rest.

My hair grew like crazy while juicing!

Mix it up. You will get tired of same juices. Always add something for sweetness like apples, oranges or carrots. I always included kale or spinach. Kale is easier to juice w stalks. Spinach should be bunches in a ball. Complement w cucumber, carrots or romaine. This helps create more liquid.

Remember you want 7 servings of vegetables per day. My easy one: 5 carrots, 2 apples, 2 kale stalks

Costco! You can get apples, carrots, pears and spinach there. Don’t use the cut kale because it doesn’t juice well. Let me know if you have any questions.

I juiced religiously for 6 plus months. Guess it could have worked to slow progression. I felt good. But since I had new spots on liver, I’m now trying intermittent fasting and keto.

2 likes
SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Snowcone16

Hi Snowcone,

Thanks for the tips. I will start researching juicers soon and see what I come up with. Thanks also for the recipe. That sounds really tasty! What do you do with the fruit and vegetable pulp though? Do you add it to soups or just discard it?

Sophie x

Snowcone16
Snowcone16
in reply to SophSP

I feed it to the bunnies in the backyard! I’m sure that it could be mixed in w soup or sauce. 😊. Juicing works for me because I never acquired a taste for veggies... sounds weird I know!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Snowcone16

I bet your bunnies love the vegetable pulp! Thanks again for the tips.

Sophie ❤

Barbteeth

Just reading old posts about juicing..I’ve recently bought one and never thought of giving the pulp to my bunny!!.. I will now

Barb xx

Kimr2081

I was pretty much going to tell you the same thing that nstonerocks told you because she turned me on to Kris Carr. I try and juice everyday. I have a Breville juicer - its not the fanciest one out there but does the job. Sometimes I also just juice and drink 16oz of celery juice everyday - got that from the Medical Medium - not sure if you have heard of him but he has some good books and information about health. You can google him. I am sure some people are skeptical about him but drinking 16oz of celery juice every day has helped my son immensely with his gut!! And honestly, juicing is pretty easy and I like the taste!!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Kimr2081

Hi Kim,

I appreciate your message. I think I will enjoy juicing, as I love the taste of fruit and vegetables anyway. I just ordered another one of Kris Carr's books. This one is a juicing recipe book.

Thanks again!

Sophie x

Kimr2081

I think you will like it. I usually do the one with cucumbers, celery, kale, lemon, apples or pears and ginger. I add some spinach and I think it is yummy!! Good look - she has some great recipes for smoothies too.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Kimr2081

My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Thank you, Kim!

Sophie ❤

Cayce2

Chris Wark has lots of videos on you tube. He suggests carrots to juice and is a great resource for alternative medicine.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Cayce2

Hi Cayce,

Thanks for your advice. I saw an interview between Kris Carr and Chris Wark, but other than that I don't know much about Chris, other than how he used alternative therapies to cure his cancer. I think he was stage 3, wasn't he?

Sophie ❤

Cayce2

Yes, and he interviews lots of stage IV survivors and how they beat cancer.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Cayce2

I definitely need to look into Chris Wark some more. Thanks for your advice, Cayce!

Cayce2

Anytime

You may also like...