SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,366 members1,722 posts

Happy Friday! Meet my cat, Jack

Hello Everyone,

Here's a picture of my cat, Jack. He is a 10-year-old Russian Blue. His nickname is "The Californian" as he was born in California. He is loving, protective and knows when I need some extra attention.

Have a good weekend,

Sophie x

24 Replies
oldestnewest

I love Russian Blues! My brother has one named Winter. Have a good weekend! <3

Hi Missa!

Russian Blues are great, aren't they? Perhaps I am just biased because I have one!

Enjoy your weekend!

Sophie x

2 likes

Hi Sophie

He’s gorgeous..I have 2 cats..Marmaduke is ginger and Twinkle a grey tabby..love them

Enjoy your weekend

Barb xx

1 like

Hi Barb!

Your cats sound great. I used to have a ginger and white cat called Samson. Unfortunately, he died in 2016, so Jack has been an only cat since then. We can't bear to get another cat. It's heartbreaking when they die.

Have a good weekend!

Sophie x

1 like

Thanks for sharing such a cute picture I also have a Russian Blue his name is Charlie and he to knows when I need extra love. Not sure what I would do without him.

Hi Betbop!

You're welcome. It sounds like Charlie is a wonderful companion to you. I feel the same about Jack. I don't even want to contemplate what life will be like without him. He is a little love bug!

Have a good weekend,

Sophie x

1 like

He looks absolutely beautiful. Sadly after losing my 2 aged over 20! I moved house and locally cats seem to "disappear" so have not had the courage to get another. However I suppose you could argue we have leopard, serval, African wild cat, cheetah and lions about 45 minutes down the road in Kruger Park so, as long as you can find them of course, you can still enjoy cats!

Enjoy him - he looks so laid back

1 like

Hi Izzy!

Thank you. Jack is my baby. It must have been so hard losing your cats. I just hope Jack lives to a ripe old age too. It must be wonderful to have all those wild animals on your doorstep. We just have to make do with animal programmes over here or the zoo!

Sophie x

Hi there

Yes we are incredibly lucky to live in such a pretty area with all the birds and wildlife we could want pretty well on the doorstep - we are addicted!

Enjoy Jack and give him a big kiss from me

Izzy xx

Hi Izzy,

You certainly are fortunate! My husband and I live across the road from the woods and river, and we have nature reserves and lots of other outdoorsy things going on where we are. It's nice to live in a rural area, but it is gradually becoming more built up. We sometimes see muntjac deer, which are so cute! But when I try to take their picture they always run off.

Sophie x

Lucky you. We do love being so close to Kruger but tend to go on our longer camping visits (9 days coming up in November) around Nov to Feb when it is pretty hot, the rains have usually started BUT the tourists have gone home and so the vehicles which drive them all over the park are much less in number - these vehicles are mostly a serious pain and very disruptive to those of us who just want to sit and watch. I just hope they do our tourists full justice.

SO looking forward to our next trip.

Have a great week

Izzy x

Hi Izzy,

I guess it must be a bit of a pain with tourists coming and going. I have some friends from South Africa. I will have to ask whereabouts they are actually from though. One friend would always load me up with Kenyan tea whenever she would pass through there on her trips back to Africa. I love it!

We don't tend to get so many tourists where we live here in the UK. Most seem to want to go to London! My husband and I are off on a trip to Switzerland at the end of November. I have several appointments from now until then (Zoladex injection tomorrow, pneumonia jab on Friday, CT scan next week, a blood test in a fortnight, seeing my oncologist on the 19th, and then having an infusion on the 20th!) so it will come as a relief to get a break from doctors, nurses, CT scans, needles and cannulas.

Enjoy your week too!

Sophie x

What a great post. Great photo and good to share what’s positive in our lives.

Hi Becky,

Thank you! That was my intention when I started this post. I just wanted to share something positive from my life and maybe help others feel good too. I don't know about you, but I try to count my blessings each day and look at all the great positives in my life, and Jack is one of them! He is so loyal and loving.

Sophie x

1 like

We love our pets, too. We have the opposite of cats disappearing! We live in a rural area and cats sometimes just show up. We currently have five indoor cats, two were born to a feral mother and when we got the whole bunch of them neutered, we kept these two girls inside. One has really come a long way and sits on my lap occasionally and often sits next to me asking to be petted. Her sister will usually be in the same room we're in but doesn't come too close. Our other three are all cats that just showed up and were obviously domesticated so we brought them inside. We feed 4 outside cats, too and I am very tempted to bring at least one of them inside, where they live alot longer. I used to have a marmelaid cat I named Jack as he had just one eye. He was one of the best cats ever, very much a lap cat. It's very sad when any of them die, and we have quite the dog & cat cemetery at the edge of our woods. I've told my husband that if he wants to bury my ashes there with the dogs and cats, that would be fine with me. lol Though we do have plots in the local cemetery, next to our little grandson and my parents-in-law. We have a couple of small dogs, too. We've lost several dogs to cancer--it's pretty common in dogs, something I hadn't known. Sadly. And our parrot had a stroke and fell off his perch!

1 like

Hi PBJinMI,

You sound like an animal lover like me! It's so wonderful what you have been able to do with the cats you took in. You must have needed a lot of patience to domesticate the feral cats and get some of them to the point where they will sit on your lap. I really think Jack will be our final pet. I always have such a hard time when pets die.

I run my own pet sitting and dog walking business, so I get to love other people's animals too! I love it and it is brilliant therapy and keeps my mind occupied so I am not always thinking about my health.

Sophie x

1 like

You've found a good way to have time with pets without being totally responsible for them--smart move! When I first met my police officer husband, I thought he was a total jerk! Then I realied that he knew every dog and cat in the neighborhood and that they all trusted him, so that told me I had misjudged......... Now I joke that we agree about the things that are really important in a marriage, pets and what temperature to keep the bedroom! lol When we started dating, between us we had 9 cats, a parrot and two dogs. All those pets have died in the intervening years and we are reluctant now to take in any more, though one of the outside cats may become an inside cat once we get him neutered. The feral cat who has adapted best to living with us was just about 10 weeks old when we brought her inside. She had an injury that needed vet attention and I was able to grab her, defend myself from her mother, and get her into a cat carrier. Some insect had laid eggs under her skin and the larvae were growing and creating nasty wounds on her neck. She probabl would have died without medical attention. Her sister was 6 months old when we brought her in so she had a lot more time with her feral mother. But both of them are totally housebroken and get along well with our other pets.

1 like

Thank you! I think so too. I can care for other people's cats, dogs, guinea pigs, ferrets and snakes (I used to care for snakes!) and then hand them back again a bit like childcare. I also agree that how someone treats animals and how they relate to them tells you a lot about them. My husband is a huge animal lover too. In fact, some clients' pets that I have cared for over the years seem to have preferred him to me (charming!) They can definitely sense if you like or dislike them or are afraid of them and will play up to that. One of my brothers used to be afraid of cats, so one of the cats I used to have in the early years of my marriage would always try to win him round and not leave his sight! It was quite touching to see.

That's amazing how you rescued the feral kitten. That would have probably been a very nasty, painful death had you not intervened. It sounds like you have a happy, harmonious pet family!

Sophie x

Darn, can't seem to upload photos of my two cats. Both Tonkinese, we got Lysa last year from a breeder who retired her from breeding. She was 8, kind of shy, and took to my husband. Tolerates my Maltese dog, lets me pet her once or twice then she's off. I wanted an affectionate lap cat who adored me, so Lysa wasn't fitting the bill. I then got a kitten from the same breeder. Named the cat Pip (short for Pippa). She is a real cutie, adores me is very affectionate, smart and playful. Nothing phases her, and she is not intimidated by my dog, Finn, or Lysa, who hasn't totally accepted her rambunctious personality. Lysa is actually her grandmother. Finn is my good old boy, almost 13 in great shape, but after a hug or two he is also off to the next thing. Pip is good for a long sit with lots of hugs and kisses. I love my animals. They bring me so much happiness and peace. Thanks for this post.

Lysa, Finn and Pip sound like a lot of fun! It's funny how some pets take to someone else in the family, but they still bring something precious to the family! I love how each pet can have such a different personality, even when they are related!

Sophie x

Nothing like a fur ball to keep balance in life! I have 3 rescue dogs who have rescued me from depression on many days during this MBC journey. Bless the beasts and children! Jack is a beauty and a Godsend! ❤️🙏🏻

Thank you! Jack really is a wonderful cat. He is so sensitive and loving (when he isn't catching 16 hours of sleep that is!) Enjoy your dogs too.

Sophie x

Happy Friday to u too! Hope u and Californian have a great weekend! Off to church here! 😀💕

Thank you!

Sophie x

You may also like...