Grapefruit interactions: Hello Everyone... - SHARE Metastatic ...

SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
3,206 members3,434 posts

Grapefruit interactions

SophSP
SophSP

Hello Everyone,

I have been concerned about the possibility of grapefruit interacting with the medication I am currently taking: letrozole, zoladex and zometa. I had my flu jab at my local pharmacy this afternoon, so I asked the pharmacist, and he didn't know. He even looked it up and could not find anything about it. He suggested I ask my oncologist or oncology nurses, so I did. I called, and again, she did not know. So she told me she would ask the hospital pharmacist. The pharmacist called me back and said that it is safe to eat grapefruit. Now I am waiting to hear back to find out if it's safe to eat soya products, as the oncology nurse forgot to mention that to the pharmacist. My concern is introducing plant oestrogens into my body, as I am oestrogen receptor-positive.

I just thought this might be of interest to others in the same boat as me.

Sophie x

62 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi

My oncologist said definitely no grapefruit and also pomegranate has been mentioned on this site..I can live without grapefruit but adore pomegranates (damn!)

I avoid soya products as I don’t see the point in introducing something that mimics oestrogen..I’m ER +ve as well..anyway I prefer cows milk so it’s no hardship for me

Going back to the grapefruit interaction..it does state in the Ibrance website to avoid them

Hope helps

B xx

I am concerned of soya as well. If you read labels a lot of them say may contain soy. Do we avoid those as well. And others say soya powder, what is that? Lol!!! Stick to fruit

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Juliandrea

I should know the answer to any possible interactions with soya products this afternoon when the hospital pharmacist calls me back.

Sophie x

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Juliandrea

Hi Juliandrea,

I spoke to the hospital pharmacist this afternoon and I was disappointed to learn that as I am oestrogen receptor-positive that I should avoid soya products. She said it could make the tumour grow. So I said, does that include everything? Then she said in moderation. That didn't make sense. As soon as I got off the phone to the pharmacist I got in touch with a friend who is allergic to soya, to ask for some advice. She basically said that soya is in a lot of vegetarian and processed foods, and to avoid soybeans, Indian and Chinese food (unless there is a guarantee no soya has been used) tofu and so on. I'm feeling really upset about this and now have to re-evaluate everything that I eat and make the needed changes right away. Maybe once the shock wears off I will feel better about things, but right now I am feeling really upset about having to make another change to my lifestyle. But I will do it if it means keeping the tumour at bay.

Sophie x

Juliandrea
Juliandrea
in reply to SophSP

Thank you so much for this info Sophie. How disappointing, yup we need to make adjustments again. It’s a full time job. But we have to help ourselves so we can be around for a long time. Have a great weekend

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Juliandrea

You're welcome! I'll double check with my oncologist next month. I've been eating soya since my diagnosis, but I am responding to treatment and the tumour is shrinking, so I'm not sure what to believe! Enjoy your weekend too!

Hi

Me again

Just reread your post..it’s ibrance you can’t have grapefruit with..you’re not on that one so prob ok but still double check with your oncologist

Sorry if I confused the issue!!

Barb xx

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Barbteeth

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your response. No, I'm not taking ibrance. I spoke to three different people today about interactions with letrozole, zoladex and zometa: the pharmacist who administered my flu vaccine, one of my oncology nurses and finally the hospital pharmacist who called me and gave me the green light to eat grapefruit. She will call me back tomorrow to let me know about soya products. I'll let you know what I find out.

Sophie x

Hi sophie, sorry if I missed this somewhere but have you ever taken ibrance? Also, when were you diagnosed?

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Juliandrea

Hi Juliandrea,

No, I've never taken ibrance. I take letrozole, zoladex and xometa. I also take Adcal D3 and cherry capsules. I was diagnosed on 19th March.

Sophie x

hdhonda
hdhonda
in reply to SophSP

Hi!

I didn't know you could access this board without being on Ibrance. Be careful of taking supplements or over the counter drugs without oncologist permission.

Hannah

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to hdhonda

Hi Hannah,

I wasn't aware of that either, but I have been made to feel welcome on this site without being on ibrance.

My oncologist recommended Adcal D3 to keep my calcium levels up as zometa can cause problems in that regard. I get that on prescription, and I was given the go ahead to take the cherry pills by my oncology nurse team.

Sophie

hdhonda
hdhonda
in reply to SophSP

Sophie,

We welcome all breast cancer survivors. Pfizer employee gave me the link. I just thought it was

how everyone got here but I guess I was wrong. At any rate I welcome you.

Hannah

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to hdhonda

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for the welcome! This disease is so isolating at times, that it helps me to connect with others in the same situation as me.

Sophie

Well I have been told no grapefruit at all. I hate grapefruit so I don’t mind :) , but noticed every time I ate something citrusy ( lemon , lime , orange) it gave me a migraine. So I do avoid citrus. On th other hand my oncologist said that the theory about soya products are absurd, I don’t eat soya idea so I don’t mind . Hope this helps

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Euebdbdbddh

Hi,

Are you on the same medication as me? I asked if grapefruit would interact with letrozole, zoladex and zometa, and I was told there are no interactions with what I am taking. It may be different for you based on what medication you are on.

Sophie x

Euebdbdbddh
Euebdbdbddh
in reply to SophSP

Hi , I am on Ibrance , Letrozole , Zoladex . I think grapefruit is interacting with Ibrance ... I think it has something to do with side effects

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Euebdbdbddh

Ok, you're not on all the same medication as me, which would be why you may not be able to have grapefruit. I don't take ibrance, so can have grapefruit if I want it. I found out today that I can't have soya.

Sophie x

I know when I was on Ibrance and Letrozole they said no grapefruit. I think it even said it in literature I got when I received by first prescription.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Kimr2081

Grapefruit seems to react with ibrance from what I have heard on here. But I was told by a pharmacist that it does not interfere with letrozole.

Sophie x

It is listed on the possible interactions with Ibrance. I have found that I now have a reaction to other citrus as well. I dont know how common this is, but true for me.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to spouseM

I'm sorry to hear that.

Sophie x

I was on letrozole for 4yrs. Was told by my onc and the pharmacist not to eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. Same with Ibrance if anyone is on it!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to mariootsi

That's different to what I was told yesterday. I was told grapefruit does not interact with letrozole.

Sophie

mariootsi
mariootsi
in reply to SophSP

If you google letrozole amd grapefruit there is a full paragraph on the interaction btween the two. Hope this helps

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to mariootsi

Thanks, but I heard it straight from a hospital pharmacist.

Grapefruit and pomegranate are bad for Ibrance. Letrozole, I am not sure that it is a problem.

I think always avoid corn and soy

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to blms

There's no problem with letrozole.

Sophie

Problem with grapefruit is with so very many medications, so probably best to avoid--although I love grapefuit.

I agree with the letrozole as I took it once before this time for 5 years and never avoided grapefruit!! I'm still alive!!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to blms

That's what I have found. Grapefruit is fine with letrozole. I should have made my title clearer. It's about interactions between letrozole, zoladex and zometa that I looked into, nothing else. I can't comment either way for anything else that others have mentioned.

Sophie

So I would contact the pharmaceutical company of those other two drugs and ask them if there’s an interaction between grapefruit and their particular drug. If there isn’t any of the three individually I wouldn’t worry about it together

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to blms

Thanks. No, I'm not worried, as I asked about all three drugs and none of them interact with grapefruit. I was annoyed about having to cut out soya though! It seems to be in just about everything!

unfortunately, in the US, call for livestock are fed corn and soy. Not to say anabiotic‘s and or foods have Roundup on them and less you’re buying organic. So since the 1960s western slowly poisoned with this garbage. Now we have to correct it and try to before eight corn and soy in the products we eat and buy organic To heal

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to blms

Yes, that's what I heard about cattle in America too. I'm in the UK, where cattle is grass fed.

blms
blms
in reply to SophSP

Yes, I am aware about the UK and Europe's non-corn and soy feeding! thank God for that. I only buy my cheeses from that area because of that. Although, I now prefer goat and especially great sheep cheese.

The breast cancer I have is also estrogen driven. Grapefruit was easy to cut out but soy is hard.

Soy is in everything!! I’m ok with eating products where it’s an ingredient but not full on soy products like soy milk, tofu, edamame, etc.

I also stopped eating anything with preservatives or packaged foods and that’s where you mostly find it as an ingredient. Although I just had sushi with soy sauce and was wondering how bad that is...

Lynn

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to lynzer

Mine is oestrogen receptor- positive too, Lyn.

I agree that soya is in just about everything! I looked at the ingredients in a loaf of bread I just bought and was surprised to see soya listed as an ingredient. I have also been making more of an effort to cut out highly processed foods. I'm so confused right now. I'm going to talk to my oncologist next month and see what she says.

Sophie

blms
blms
in reply to lynzer

Try coconut milk without sugar. It's delicious. Also, almond milk really good.

Hi all, I'm not an expert by any means but I've followed the soy debate closely for years and I don't think we need to fear it. This is what I have come to know by the most common answers I have heard from those in the know over the years.

Soy products: stick to soy products that are fermented (like tofu) vs say edamame. Eat only organic soy foods. Eat in moderation but Yes, it's ok to eat. Do NOT eat products that contain soy parts e.g., soy protein isolate! These are highly processed forms of soy.

The argument to never eat whole forms of soy at all for those of us E+ is a bit silly and overreactive. Look at the Chinese, they are just fine! (Google "The China Study") The increase of breast cancer in China actually coincides with their increase of eating Western foods like milk products!!

True it is hard to find packaged foods that do not contain "parts" of soy, vs the whole bean so make sure to read your labels! Did you know that even Celestial herbal teas contain soy product? It is insane. This is an example of a soy-byproduct being used as a filller or way of changing the 'feel' of a food product e.g. soy lecithin is a type of fatty byproduct.

Lastly, phytoestrogens (from plants) do not act quite the same as the hormone estrogen that our body makes . On the other hand, we should probably be much more concerned about estrogen mimicking things from chemicals and pesticides and such. Eg. The plastic from which so many of us drink bottled water leaches chemical that mimics estrogen.

Wishing good health to all, and a happy weekend !

lynzer
lynzer
in reply to 13plus

Very informative, thanks!!

I wonder about bpa and drinking from plastic bottles. Have you stopped doing that? Seems hard but doable. Just bring a refillable water bottle.

13plus
13plus
in reply to lynzer

Yes! I've been using a steel bottle for a few years now. I rarely go anywhere without it! Plastic is ruining the world as well so go get a refillable :) Saves lots of $ too

blms
blms
in reply to lynzer

I have! And scary when you find out that you can not freeze plastic water bottles or drink them after they have been in heat. The water becomes very toxic.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to 13plus

Thank you so much for sharing your insight on soya and soya products. I thought I was satisfied with what the pharmacist told me (to avoid soya as it will fuel the growth of my tumour) but now I am just confused!

Sophie

What about green teas interactions with Ibrance and other medications? True or myth..

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to lynzer

I haven't heard that! That's interesting.

blms
blms
in reply to SophSP

I am NOT going to buy into that.!! I think the pharma companies do not want anything interfering with their data.

Hidden
Hidden

I was also told no grapefruit on anti oestrogenic drugs and also no soya and go very easy on the linseed. I can understand soya and linseed as we are trying to keep the oestrogen in check but grapefruit?? Apparently it also is not recommended with cholesterol meds among other things so seems to react with various drugs! Too bad - I love grapefruit.

Good luck

13plus
13plus
in reply to Hidden

I don't love grapefruit but miss having the occasional one. Grapefruit reduces effectiveness of some drugs and increases effects of others. And it is known to interact with a lot of them.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Hidden

I was told by two pharmacists that grapefruit does not interact with Letrozole, Zoladex or Zometa. I don't know about other aromatase inhibitors or bisphosphonates though.

Sophie

blms
blms
in reply to Hidden

Keep in mind that cholesterol meds DO give you a lot of bone and joint pain. I have ridiculous genetic high lipids and I finally gave up wheat and sugar and my level went down a 100 points. Now, when I cheat on my diet, it goes it a bit but still dramatically better than it ever was. Just sayin!

Ok so I just researched and here is a recent article that is interesting to read about soy! It worked both ways depending on timing. Read the whole article

And note they still suggest whole

forms of soy only.

google.com/amp/s/amp.livesc...

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to 13plus

Interesting. Looks as if one should have been consuming soya before getting cancer and maybe it wouldn't have happened!

Also looks as if I will continue to avoid soya-based food 1

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Hidden

I was consuming soya before I was diagnosed, so perhaps it makes no difference. I just don't know! I am going to try to eliminate it as much as I can until I see my oncologist next month and find out what I should do. The hospital pharmacist told me it could make my tumour grow, but in the same breath she said it's OK in moderation. So what do you say to that?!

13plus
13plus
in reply to SophSP

I think the thing is they don't really know so they always want to err on the side of caution.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to 13plus

Yes, you could be right! Thanks.

HiddenThis reply has been deleted
Juliandrea
Juliandrea
in reply to Hidden

Yes and pomegranate. I was drinking it thinking it was ok and my wbc went way too low. I learnt that here, and then googled it. Sure enough it was correct. What I don’t understand is why I wasn’t told by the pharmacist or nurses back in April when I started. Unbelievable. Soya, they mentioned on the news that it actually causes cancer. Who knows, so much contradicting information. Here though you learn a lot with all the sharing and I trust more all the ladies here for information.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Juliandrea

I was also wondering why I was not told about soya right from the beginning. I was consuming soya products before I was diagnosed. Like you, I have heard so many conflicting reports on soya, that I just don't know what to believe. I will run it by my oncologist when I see her in November and see what she says.

I’m almost positive grapefruit and pomegranate are absolute no no’s.

Grapefruit doesn’t play well with so many different prescription drugs.

You may also like...