Physical Therapy to Help Urinary Incontinence

I had my first session of physical therapy on Thursday, April 28, 2016. It went well. Dr. Kathleen Roth taught me 3 different exercises and then I had to do each exercise 3 times. I laid on my back with my knees up. She placed one hand on my perineum on top of my shorts during the exercises to make sure I was doing them correctly. She used her other hand to count the muscle contractions. I did a total of 30 Kegel exercises. She said I did well. She gave me homework. I have to do each exercise 10 times each session and do 3 sessions per day for 3 weeks. I will return for more therapy in 3 weeks. So I need 90 Kegel exercises every day. That will make my muscles stronger.

Kegel exercises help with incontinence and impotence.

Last edited by

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sounds hard work, Bob - but worth the effort. Good luck.

• Thanks. Yes. it will be worth it. I go back in 3 weeks.

• BTW, there is even an App to help with KEGELS! How great is technology!

• Thanks. What is the app?

• It's just called MyKegel and it works on the iPhone (go to the App Store) and probably Android systems. Actually there are two or three. 

• Thanks for the information.

• May 19, 2016---2nd physical therapy with my therapist. She said I am doing well. I did 30 Kegel exercises which I learned last. time. Then she taught me new exercises which involved strapping my ankle to the bed with a rubber band and kicking in 4 different directions. I did 40 exercises with each leg. She gave me homework to practice for 3 more weeks. I have to continue to do 90 other Kegel exercises every day.

• New exercise details---I kicked forward 10 times. I kicked backwards 10 times. I kicked to the right 10 times. I kicked to the left 10 times. I did this with both legs.

• My exercises are going well. My incontinence is improving a little at a time. My therapist said it takes time. It does not happen overnight.

• I had my 3rd session of physical therapy for urinary. It went well. My therapist gave me 4 new exercises. I have to do each one once per day in addition to the other Kegels I have learned.

You may also like...