Scleroderma and gastroparesis, r they connected?

My aunt just passed from scleroderma last week. I was just diagnosed with gastroparesis. I was tested for scleroderma but came back negative. I have been getting worse and worse. Any help? Just started domperidone and it does work to push the food through, but i still get sick, and cant sleep anymore laying down.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Dogsmom

I have both. There is a link but GP is not always caused by SSc - it is either muscle weakness in peristalsis or damage to the nerve that triggers peristalsis, either of which can be caused by a number of things (I'm only familiar with a couple). We bought a big foam wedge and put it under the head End of the mattress :) (you need to have the start of the wedge at your hip). I'm on domperidone too it's good you can tolerate it :) no doubt you've had all the diet advice about mushy soft food or liquid, avoiding sugars, avoid high fat, etc? GP is a terrifying nightmare I was so scared I had it for 2 years and was sadly proven right but get yourself as educated as you can and it is manageable. Big hugs xxx

• I've had GP for years it got worse and worse and I ended up in hospital twice. Also have scleroderma two years ago it got so bad I wasn't able to be more than 2 mins from a loo as it would give me awful bouts of diarrhoea after days of food sticking. I opted to have an ileostomy and although it's a radical move. It's changed my life I can go out and about with confidence. I'm not saying it has to come to that for you but it's worth having a think Good luck it's a horrible disease.

• My husband has that . .Caused by stress . And my nephew has it also caused by stress . The blood tests where good 8 years ago would picked up scleroderma before it started . Even better now .

You will have a 1 in 5 chance of getting it . If your genes are the same , Scleroderma is not inherited .

• Some pills don't mix with others . Then Don,t work well . Take the tummy pill on its own . Some don't mix with levtroxeine . OK leave a space .

• I a sorry but what is gastroparesis?

• Suddenly realised what it is and I have it too and it is part of my Limited Systemic Sclerosis. As well as stopping, peristalsis is very slow. I am not yet on any medication as the surgeon who told me about it sent me for a gastroscopy (not nice) back in January and I haven't seen him since.

You may also like...