Does the overuse of antibiotics increase the chance of getting scleroderma?

I have a friend who came down with this disease in the last several years. For most of her life she would go to the doctor very often for a common cold or other mild sickness and be perscribed antibiotics by her doctor. I believe this may have compromised her immune system. I ask that people think about those they know who have this disease, and whether they may have been taking antibiotics more than they should have.

Last edited by

4 Replies

• In my case, I had the principle of not taking antibiotics unless they were for a severe illness, so that I would have the benefit of them when I needed them. I have diffuse scleroderma.

• Thank you for your response. My reason for the question was to see if there may be a pattern for may who come down with this disease, whether it is because the overuse of antibiotics severely damaged a person's ability to fight of this disease, or if one or more antibiotics may contribute to getting the disease. In your case, neither are applicable. Perhaps many others are the same as you, but there may be others where antibiotics have been a contributing factor.

• I was diagnosed with scleroderma at the age of 63, prior to that I was extremely fit & healthy I can only remember being given antibiotics once!

• Thanks for your response which is similar to domayh.

You may also like...