Restless Legs Syndrome
9,630 members5,945 posts

Preferred RLS Medication

My hubby has been prescribed Ropinirole for his RLS and PLMS. Is that the best medication to use for these conditions as we got the impression that the neurologist was rather "stabbing in the dark" when he suggested it!

15 Replies
oldestnewest

The best answer I have found for this question is on the Mayo Clinic web site.

mayoclinic.com/health/restl...

Click on treatments and drugs. I have been on 3 different kinds of medicine because the doctor said after long time use it stops working. I am on Mirepex now and so far it is working. I take the generic form ,,Pramipexole,, I hope this helps and if you have any problems finding this link please let me know.

Stanjo16

Yes same for me, Pramipexole and the addition of Gabapentin, works OK for me. One GP took me off Pramipexole and it was hell.

Thank you very much for this.

I dont think its a matter of "whats the best med", its more a matter of what suits the patient,RLS is a weird complaint, and we all have different experiences with it,but the Mayo clinic is a good place to look for treatments

jean

Just seen these, and i replied to a blog about this from the same person, so i hope what i have posted on that is helpful.

Irene..

I took Ropinirole worked for about 5 days then nothing only thing i did find was falling asleep at any time after taking great for 5 days , I have RLS in both legs and arms day and night and i say if something works then use it anything better than no sleep and walking the ceiling ,

sal

ropinerole is horrid, helped with the RLS but,nasty side effects for me.

jean

Hello,

In answer to which medication is preferred for treatment of RLS, it must be remembered that RLS is unique to each patient. It becomes an elimination process as to which medication suits what person. You may be fortunate to find a smart doctor who will endeavour to put you on a small cocktail of drugs using a low dosage of Dopamine, Gaberpentin and Amitriptyline working together to give you a better quality of life. Unfortunately it works for some but not others.

Hello,

In answer to which medication is preferred for treatment of RLS, it must be remembered that RLS is unique to each patient. It becomes an elimination process as to which medication suits what person. You may be fortunate to find a smart doctor who will endeavour to put you on a small cocktail of drugs using a low dosage of Dopamine ,Amitriptyline and Gaberpentin working together to give you a better quality of life. Unfortunately it works on some but not others.

i was prescribed Amitrptyline, about 18 months ago, and the result was to send my legs absolutely crazy,i only took one!! and i couldnt keep still for 48 hours!, i couldnt believe it was the Amitriptyline, so about a week later, i took another, same result, 48 hours of pergatory, i also know of lots of people who have the same result with this drug. This only goes to show how different we all are, a drug will work for one person, and totally the opposite for the next person.

jean

Hi, I have been taken Clonazapam 4mg for several years now and find it very succesful in treating my RLS. Made a huge schoolboy error over the weekend tho, I ran out of my tablets and the withdrawal symptoms were dreadful, I only managed 4 hour's sleep in 48 hour's. My muscle's and nerve's were jumping and twitching all the time and I could get no rest. Even my eyeballs felt like they were ready to pop out of my head. I went to see my doctor today and she told I should never let myself run out of Clonazapam again because of the withdrawal. I hope this information is helpful

I have been using Tramadole for three years now with great success. The main problem is insomnia so i take a very low dose of Clonazepam ( I cut tabs in half) before bed which helps. Tried Ropinerole but the side effects were dreadfull and made me feel mentally unstable. If you can get your GP to prescribe Tramadole give it a go, most GPs dont know it can be used for RLS and PLMS.

I am surprised that no one so far has mentioned Levodopa. It is a drug they use for Parkinsons Disease and it works for RLS as well, at least for a while!

I have severe RLS. For 10 years or more, Levodopa helped me without any apparent side effects. Then it stopped working and my doctor told me that that is normal for this drug, but it helped me for 10 years! Why is no one else on this panel taking it? I am now on Ropininrole, 3-4mg a day, and would do almost anything to get off it! I'm going to try Magnesium Spray Oil next, as someone found great relief from it.

I've been using stockings for about ten years now. No meds

Only put them on when the rls acts up enough to interfear with my life

Buy some support pantyhose for your husband to try , and let us know if it helps

I started on Ropinirole - but only because my GP knew nothing about the condition and I'd looked it up on the internet before I went to see him - and before I discovered this site and another like it too! It started off great for me, but within about 2 and a half years, I was up to nearly the max dose you can take for RLS (4mg). I also get PLMD, which was my main reason for going to the doctor in the first place - the leg jerks keeping me awake at night. Anyway, I went back to the GP recently, armed with various pieces of info, and he's put me on Gabapentin now. I'm taking just one tablet of that each night, and each night take .25mg less of Ropinrole and that seems to be working just fine. Another thing which might help is for your hubby to ask for a serum ferritin test - this is to do with the iron in your brain (if I remember it rightly), and for us RLS sufferers, the level needs to be 50-100, much higher than for people without the condition. I've also discovered that avoiding anything with salt or sugar in it, and alcohol, after 7pm is an absolute must if I want to sleep before 3.30am ... Hope this helps!

You may also like...