problems at school

Hi, can anyone help ? My 15yr daughter has raynauds and the school is not understanding. I have given them 2 letters from our GP, phoned them and explained. The PE teachers said she has to go outside she can not be wrapped up in cotton wool all her life. She was given detention when she couldn't pick up a ball. This has been going on since she was in yr7 she is now in yr 10. I do not know what else to do.

8 Replies

• Could she wear gloves for P.E .? If not just be firm with School . And send a Raynands leaflet .

• I think I would write to school a stern letter . Raynands lack of blood in fingers and toes is painful and causes ulcers . Dramatized it .With a leaflet or 2

• Hello. It sounds like your daughter's school needs some educating. Have you shown them the Raynauds & Scleroderma website:

It would probably be good if they could see exactly what happens and the possible dangers to your daughter when exposed to the cold. Hope this helps.

• Thank you for your advice

• I had problems with my sons school I ended up sending a solicitors letter which sorted it out in the end. I hope you have had this matter sorted.

• Yes i got it sorted thank you. They are being very accommodating now, but I'm upset it's taken 2yrs !!

• Hi,

It sounds like your daughters school is staffed by ignorant fools!

How dear they!

Letter to the head teacher informing the school they are endangering your childs

health and safety. Followed up by a letter from your rheumatologist (if you don't have one get a referral from your GP.

Raynaud's is a serious circulatory disease and must be treated as such. Failure to take care at an early stage can lead to many problems in later life.

Without care fingers, toes, indeed limbe can be lost!

DO NOT allow the school to bully you. Take her out of school if necessary. Get a court order if necessary.

It is idiots like these people who will cause severe potential damage to your daughter

in later life if they are not checked.

Silver gloves from the Raynaud's organisation work well as indeed do silver socks.

Reading your post has made me very angry. I suffer badly from Raynaud's and scleroderma. It has ruined my life. It needs to be looked after before it ruins your daughter's life too.

Sorry if I sound alarmist. However I cannot stress enough that you must not back down.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

• In Massaxhusetts we have 504 plan. It's an accommodation plan based on medical diagnosis. My daughter also has Raynauds and could not go outside for gym in the winter.

You may also like...