Does anyone else have trouble sleeping since giving up smoking?

Hi there, I've given up smoking, only 3 days away from celebrating the one month mark, and feeling strong, well most of the time. Interesting to read the side affects others are feeling. I feel very focused this time and really want to celebrate the milestones as they come along. I have given up many times over the years but never made it to 1 year, so that is my goal to begin with. I went on the patches for 5 days and then cold turkey, started on a weekend. It's tough, dizzy spells and total lack of concentration, that is why I choose the weekend to do it. I didn't have trouble sleeping before hand and now I regularly wake up in the middle of the night and it takes a couple of hours to get back to sleep. Plus my tolerance levels have decreased significantly, I now can see all the twits around me.....LOL. I appetite has also increased, and I am eating more, but this also tends to happen to me over winter and I usually gain a couple of kilos, so I'm not going to worry greatly. I wonder how long I am going to continue to wake during the night, has anyone had similar experience?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good morning Maggiepie, Andi here and welcome to our community.

Yes, a couple of us have problems sleeping. My sleeping thing was happening before but seemed to get worse when I stopped smoking (been nearly 3 months now). It's a bit of a vicious circle sometimes - wake up early so go to bed early. Go to sleep, good sleep, wake up, think it must be 2 or 3, look at clock - oh no, only been asleep half an hour! :o I then wake 2 or 3 times more, once staying awake for about 1 hour, then rouse about 5 and doze til I've had enough and get up around 6! On my long 'wake-up' I usually put the radio on to try to lull me back to sleep - sometimes works, or I might read for a bit but I'm not one of these people that get up and make a cuppa in the middle of the night.

As for the appetite thing, you can use all that spare extra non-sleeping time to read up the archives and blogs and see that it's affected everybody. That's part of quitting - your metabolism goes down, we substitute smoking with snacking and bingo! It's not rocket-science! :D :D

Just deal with one thing at a time and the weight can be lost once we feel more comfortable with not smoking.

Look forward to you maybe joining in with our daily chats.

Good luck, Andi :)

• Morning Maggiepie, I`m jillygirl. Yes I too dont sleep well. usually awake in the middle of the night. or wake up about 4.30 and just cant get back off to sleep . I eventually get up . as you will see its usually me that opens up our daily chat. Andi also doesnt sleep in, sure she will be telling you. I think at first your brain is trying to except the changes going on in your body, lots of us have had weird dreams too. Emjay our advisor will be on later and will probably help. Meanwhile a big well done on quitting , This community site is helping all of us stay focused. All friendly and can have a laugh at the same time.

see you soon. :)

• Hi there pls give me some advice i quit 1month from smoking ang i have problem like insomnia i have difficulty falling asleep.. i used cold turkey method im so worried i cant do my job anymore it bothers me

• Hey Maggiepie, welcome to our happy place and congratulations on doing so well :-)

Everything that you have experienced so far is pretty normal. It shouldn't be too long for you to get back into a regular sleep pattern so try not to let it worry you. On top of what both Andi and Jillygirl have already advised, practice some breathing exercises and find the best one that helps you to feel relaxed. Then if you do wake up through the night you can quite easily keep yourself in a state of slumber until hopefully you will drop back off again.

The best types of breathing exercises to help relax you, are the ones when you take nice, long, and slow deep breaths in through your nose. Maybe as you breath in, try and count to 10 and then breathe out slowly to the count of 10. Once you have one this for a couple of times (maybe over a week) try and increase you counts to 16.... :D

Let us know how you get on :D

If you tell me when your quit date was, I'll pop your name up on our Wall of Winners, the place where all quitters are winners :-D

You've come to the right place for help and we've a crackin bunch of people all supporting each other :-)

• Been off real fags for 6 months on an E-cig reduced my nicotine level to 4mg ultra low but like you having problems sleeping wake up almost on the hour every hour looking at the clock but the odd thing is not feeling to bad in the morning odd I know?

• Hi Simon24, Firstly well done reaching 6 months. thats brill. I think we all seem to have different sleeping habits, with this quitting lark. Like you say it doesnt seem to affect you next morning. I feel as if I am getting tired earlier so ready for bed earlier than I used to be. But still cant sleep right through.

Nice to chat to you simon . Keep us informed of your progress, I am coming up to nearly 4 months and its nice to know other people are coping too. :)

You may also like...