I quit March 8, 2016

Hi All,

I quit smoking cigs cool turkey about 2 months ago, after going to the ER  complaining of chest pains and shortness of breath.  The ER team kept me over night for observation due to my age  49, I'm a Black American Male, and a family history of heart  issues. I smoked for years starting in the mid 1980's,  and tried to quit some, but  I truly enjoyed smoking after picking it up again when I was in the NAVY many years ago, so I thought. As I laid in the hospital bed actually feeling fine, I prayed to GOD, that the doctors would not find anything wrong with my lungs, and heart, I was so nervous that night and the next morning until I got my  results of the stress test. which were very good, the head DR told me there was nothing wrong with me, and  I  was free to leave. After getting releases from the hospital, I debated whether or not to light up a smoke, before my ride came, so I walked off the hospital grounds, lite up one, inhaled and felt sick and dizzy. I immediately put out the smoke and decided that was it. when I got home I removed all smokes and ashtrays from my house. I bought xylitol chewing gum, to address my smoking cravings, and decided I would eat what I wanted until I broke the cravings for smoking, and so far it appears to be working. I do fine most days after 2 months, except for feeling dizzy, sick  in the mornings. I notice if I take 2 table spoons of apples cider vinegar(with Mother) in water those symptoms goes away. The other symptom  I've  notices is that I get tired more frequently in the day  - so I have a to take a nap. I hope this passes because i'm normally a physically active guy. I have a DR appointment coming up- so ill check with  her. If  anyone has the same symptoms the sickness, dizziness, and feeling more sleepy after 2 months thannormal please feel free to comment. thanks

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Stacy and welcome to quit support😊

It's great news that the hospital gave you a clean bill of health👍🏼 you have done a great job quitting cold turkey. As you found out that having just one makes you feel awful, I commend you in getting straight back on your quit. On here we say NOPE not one puff ever🚭 

What you're feeling is quite normal withdrawal symptoms and as you're seeing your Dr soon, this will put your mind at rest. Remember to drink lots of water as this will help and maybe some fresh air too.

Have a read of the pinned posts as there's lots of information there. Most of the side effects from withdrawal will pass, so hang in there. Here's to a healthier and wealthier lifestyle. Good luck🍀

• Thanks Brian for your positive input!!!

• Hi Stacy well done on 2 months Smoke free and cold turkey too 😊Fantastic 

So glad your scare has given you a clean bill of health and you now know that one made you feel awful. As briar has said these are just withdrawal Sudbury you can double check with your doc😊

Keep us nice and close and we will support you and NOPE 😊

Good luck with your continued success 😊🚭🚭🚭🚭🚭🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• thank you!!

• Flippin predictive text.....that should read symptoms not Sudbury???

• Congrats on your quitting! I have never felt sick, but I can relate to the tired feeling. I just get more anxious and panic more than anything. Along with the mood changes. Very proud of you two months is great...keep moving forward.

• Thank you Kimberly - I wish you well also, have you giving Bragg's Apple cider vinegar (with Mother) for your  anxiousness a chance(2 table spoons in  a glass of water daily)? it works for me - i'm not a doctor, so this isn't medical advice - but I have  issues with anxiety prior to  quitting, and after taking it, It takes the edge off for me, its amazing. but I would check it out online .

• I take my Bragg's and two teaspoons of honey :) and lots of calming tea!

• good!

• I too am feeling more anxious and I panic before getting in the car to drive.  What's strange is I get a knot in my chest and it's hard to breathe, but, instead of the symptoms subsiding they seem to be getting worse each day, I try to do the breathing exercises to calm myself

• Well done like you I got chest pains and shortness of breath so decided to quit plus wasn't enjoying it anymore smoking caused me a headache every day but since I've stopped not one headache yay .keep going 😃😃

• Congrats to you too Bevie!! and good luck on your continued success!!

• Hi Stacy and welcome to quit support 😄

It that is awesome that you go a clean bill of health and even better that you have give up smoking 😄😄

Like Briar said - it all sounds quite normal symptoms of recovery. Do have a read of the pinned posts on the right as there is lots of info on what to expect as your body adjusts to not have the nasty chemicals in cigarettes.

Welcome aboard and all the very best on your quit journey 😄😄

Linda

• Welcome Stacy and congrats on a fine quit 👏👏

I use apple cider vinegar with ( mother)  I never knew it was good for those symptoms .. I tire very easily still.. It's very normal for up to a year I've read from senior quit people on site.. But that's okay .... I cannot smoke and I'll do whatever it takes.. Your fatigue may pass in a month.. Everyone is so different.

Best wishes from 🇨🇦

• I definitely agree with you about feeling tired and lethargic during the day, that is one of my symptoms without a doubt! Im sure the longer your quit goes on the better you will feel, a lot of people say they feel a lot more active! 

Good luck in your quit! :) 

You may also like...