I Finally Stopped

I stopped smoking 15 days ago. I'd been a smoker for 31 years, and smoked 30 - 40 cigarettes a day. I stopped cold turkey.

I stopped early February (for two full days, lol) this year because I'd had bronchitis (really bad) and then promptly started smoking 30 + a day again as soon as the antibiotics kicked in and I felt better. I'd hardly been able to climb a flight of stairs in the days before and here I was puffing away again like an idiot, coughing my guts up because I still wasn't well. I started wondering exactly what would have to happen for me to actually stop for good. I think at some point in my smoking life I'd accepted that I was going to die of cancer because of my habit - how messed up is that?? What I hadn't ever really considered was my lungs slowly packing up over a period of years due to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. 

Anyway, the realisation that I could end up with the fitness level of an 85 year old woman by the age of 50 was enough to do the trick and make me give serious thought to stopping. I didn't have a clue how to go about it because my whole lifestyle and routine was linked to smoking - SO MANY TRIGGERS! 

So, I decided to get rid of all the triggers first - over a few weeks. I stopped having takeaways, and I added a shed load of healthy foods to my diet. I stopped eating meat, increased my intake of water, gave up caffeine including Diet Coke (which I LOVED with a smoke), stopped drinking alcohol and bought a load of exercise equipment. While all this was going on I basically brainwashed myself about stopping smoking, while I was still smoking. I read books, watched documentaries, bought stop smoking apps, looked at the on-line forums etc. I also bought a blood pressure monitor and peak flow meter so I could monitor my progress once I'd stopped. I think it must've worked so far, because I stopped on the 20th of March. The difference in my health already after two short weeks is incredible; I never thought everything would start to improve so quickly after so many years of abuse. 

The other thing is that chain smokers never smell good. I can't ever remember being told I smell 'nice', yet in the last couple of weeks alone I've been told I smell really great 4 times. I am LOVING this part of being a non-smoker, lol.

I've had a couple of very hard days where I really wanted a smoke; I've been super tearful since I've stopped and very tired too. I keep telling myself that it's just a question of adjusting - mentally and physically. I don't know how long it'll take, but the mental adjustment is going to take a while I think. 

I don't believe I'll ever smoke again - I believe I'll want to though, because it's been a massive part of my life for so long. Anyway, it's early days but I feel very hopeful.

Massive thanks to this community - I wasn't even a member previously, but even so it's definitely helped me stop.

7 Replies

• Hi CptObvious, well done what a fantastic decision. I too smoked for 30 years and now reaching 50 :( you sound very positive and your quit is very well planned and seems to be working well for you. You will be super fit :) yes the tiredness got to me at the beginning , couldn't believe it as I'm not a good sleeper, but am now :) welcome to our quit family we are all here for you. Stay close to this site and and shout out if you need support or even need a chat. We all know what you are going through . 

Stay Strong your doing Fantastic, you can do it :) xx

• Hi obvious and welcome to our quit family😊

Wow you've really done an amazing job in a short length of time, congratulations on over 2 weeks already. You're going to be healthier and wealthier too. You've shown great determination in your planning and should be very proud of yourself. Have a look at the pinned posts and there's lots of help here for you. 

Yes you will be tempted by mr nic on your quit journey but if he comes in the front door, be sure to kick him straight out the back door😉

It's a great feeling being a non smoker, well done👍🏼

NOPE🚭 Not one puff ever will keep you on track, good luck🍀

• Whooohoooo obvious, 15 days smoke and nic free😊 Well done hun that's fantastic and cold turkey too 😊👍

Well our mister monky will be very impressed with you as that is one helluva plan you put in place. You've covered everything and I love your positivity 👍

Ok so start saving your cig money and if that old bugger nic calls, then take yourself off and treat yourself to something nice😊

Good luck with your quit and remember NOPE..... Not One Puff Ever 👍🚭🚭🚭🚭🚭🚭🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• hey vpt obvious. nice going on your quit. you sound really well prepared.

I too smoked for around 32 years. but this time is the last quit I will ever have to do.

isnt it a lovely feeling being told you smell nice :-)

ive used some of the money ive saved for neals yard organic face cream. makes me smile that my skin is a bit nicer and I can smell the cream

good luck and keep us all posted :-)

• Thank you everyone - it really does help to know that there are other people going through exactly the same thing :) X

• We all battle together I have had a bad 3 hours tonight  really wanted a smoke but I no the craving will pass be strong and keep going stay in touch xx

• Hope you are still doing well!

You may also like...