Hi guys, I've just smoked my last ever cigerette. My name is Hayley and i'm from Brisbane Australia. I need support to help me get through this so here I am. Please if you have any hints, tips, kind words or encouragement please send them my way. My addiction is strong but I HAVE to beat it. I currently have a nasty chest infection and after coughing so much that I almost lost my breakfast and passed out this morning I finally woke up to the fact that I am killing myself. I cannot allow this addiction to destroy me any longer. In 13 days it will be one year since I watch my dear mum take her last breathe after a six year battle with lung cancer. I cant let my kids see me go through that. Please help me in anyway you can. Peace out x

18 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Welcome Hayley🌷

Courageous decision and so sorry about your mum.

Okay... Do you have any Nicotine replacement like an e-cig, nicotine gum or spray or the patch. Sounds like NRT would smooth your quit out abit ... Some people go on Champix to reduce cravings...

I suffered months of exhaustion and depression but like you, I had to quit and now almost 6 months, I am free from the physical and psychological addiction . The physical addiction only lasted a month but the the psychological just ran its course recently. I now have new coping mechanisms...

You've joined the right siteπŸ‘πŸ»

We're friendly and encouraging and always here to help each other when Mr Nic comes calling.

All the best.... Keep in touch xx

• Thankyou for your reply Arizonasands,

I purchased a vapour e-cigg today, I wanted to avoid NRT as I seem to get a nasty reaction to the higher dose of nicotine with every product that I have tried. I have tried champix but due to a life long battle with Mental health issues they weren't right for me (made me crazy aggro).

So i guess I'm pretty much going cold turkey which scares the hell outta me as my addiction is overpowering. I CAN do this though, I HAVE to do this.

Good on you for being six months smoke free that's awesome, hopefully you can help guide me through it. Thankyou so much for your support and encouragement, god knows I need it right now. Take care

• Hi Hayley,

Im not familiar with the e-cigg but a lot of members use them ... Do they have nicotine in them??

Our mantra on this site that we use is: Nope Not One Puff Ever and I add .... No matter what happens

You will connect with members on this site who smoked heavy for 30 or 40 yrs or more and are able to not take that one puff which would lead to one pack ..

And the good part about quitting, is we naturally learn how to cope without smoking.... Took awhile for me .. I had a huge psychological dependence on smoking because I battle depression and anxiety but that dependence ran its courseπŸ‘πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Love and best wishes from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

• The E-cig I bought is actually nicotine free which I'm hoping I can cope with.

I can completely relate to the psychological addiction you describe. I think that will be my biggest hurdle as well. I'm glad to have your support and I look forward to continuing my journey alongside thus community x

• AwesomeπŸ‘

• Welcome Hayley you have made the best decision for your health. And the support here is wonderful. I too smoked for 30 years, and am using the e cig. It's the only thing that has worked as well as finding theses lovely supportative people on here that I call my quite family. I won't lie as it is a roller coaster, but we are all different in how long it takes to deal with the withdrawel symptoms, and they also vary from person to person :) have a look at some of the pinned posts on your right as they are very helpful. You can do it if I can promise :) stay strong. If you are ever feeling low or just want a chat tune in here as always someone to talk to, as we are all spread around the world. I am in to 7 weeks Sunday never thought I would do it , so stay positive and tell yourself this time I will succeed :) Good Luck and stay close to is for support, as we all know what you are going through xx

• Congrats on making the best decision of your life, for you and your family.

I think the first hurdle is making the actual decision to stop and then following it through.

You have successfully done that, so well done.

It's going to be a journey and now that journey has started you will get stronger every hour, every minute, every day. It's going to be hard but it gets easier as time goes on.

Have a look at the pinned post - top right.

"Quitting smoking is a journey"

I love it, when I feel a bit rough or get a craving I watch it.

Onward and upward, and welcome to our fabulous group. Always someone there to listen and the advise is spot on.

• Everyday u stop you WILL get stronger these fine PEOPLE in here will help you just ask You can do it WE ARE.

• Haylz - If you're tempted, make sure you have no access to cigarettes, and tell your regular shopkeeper not to serve them to you. If you can't get rid of the urge, post something here.

Remember that not smoking tomorrow will be easier than it is today, and it's going to continue to get easier with each day.

You can feel proud of yourself for what you've achieved so far and what you will achieve...

I watched my chainsmoker mum deteriorate over years and die, coughing all the way. Not for me -he says, coughing hit guts out- but no, it's not an appealing prospect is it?

We're only just here Haylz, so we can do it.

• And believe in your higher power

• Hi Haylz and welcome to quit support😊

You are making the best decision for your health, well done. It's certainly not easy but we are here to help you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad loss and I'm sure your lovely Mum will be watching over you.

You are right that this addiction destroys lives but we really understand the difficulties as we have been where you are now.

We have many members who've quit cold turkey and as our lovely Arizona says, we have to learn how to cope without lighting up. So baby steps and you have started today, well done.

Do whatever it takes to distract yourself from the cravings as they do pass. There are some great breathing techniques under pinned posts and plenty of 5 min craving buster tips there too.

One day at a time and NOPE not one puff ever🚭🚭🚭

If you need anything at all, just shout. Good luck and you CAN do itπŸ€πŸ˜Š

• hI Haylz

Welcome to quit support and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Going cold turkey can be tough, but also very doable. I quit cold turkey after 40 years of 30 a day😫😫😫

Download an app for your phone and watch the dollars grow. I am not sure what they cost now, but when I quit back in June 2014 a pkt of 30 Peter Jackson was $22.50. I redirected the money I was spending to another bank acc each pay day and have just clocked over the 14k purely from the money from not smoking.. That is in under 2 years..(I am in Victoria)

You just have to really want to be smoke free, believe in yourself and be strong..

Every day we get a little stronger and better at it πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

The friendly people on this site will help support you along your journey so keep it close by πŸ‘πŸ‘

Good luck

• Wow Linda that's incredible the amount you have saved. Gives me hope. Its morning one and I'm struggling already but I'm trying to tell myself its mind over matter and I can do this.

• Yes, you can, if you have not read Allen Carr easy way to quit smoking, it maybe worth downloading. (It is a free pdf download, just google it). I read it after I had been around 6 months quit, but it can help in changing the way you see smoking.

Try not to see it as wanting or missing a smoke,much age your thinking to " I don't want or need one" I made a game of it..when ever I got a craving, I would just say to myself..."is that the best ya got- won't get me lighting up" a bit lame, but it worked.

oUr little mantra NOPE = not one puff ever - tattoo that firmly in your head. Have a read under the pinned posts to the right as there is a post on 5 min craving busters...sip lots of water as this helps flush out all the toxins...use this site as a distraction - come yell scream vent--we all been on day 1 and know what it is like πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Hi haylz and welcome 😊

I think day one is without doubt the hardest one...... But once you have passed day one it actually gets a bit easier. By quitting cold turkey you will get the nicotine out of your system within a couple of days. So it's important that you try and hang in there, then it's just the cravings but you can do something else to get you through those (like drinking water, exercise, distraction). As glolin has said, the money saved is amazing and you will wonder how you ever afforded to smoke!

Just think of all those lovely smoke free memories you can make with your kids now πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

Try and give yourself some treats especially in the early days/weeks to keep you motivated 😊 Keep us close and we will help you as much as we can. Good luck with your quit and remember your almost half way through your first day πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­πŸš­

• Hey Hayley, Welcome to this awesome site, I accidentally stumbled across it when I was googling symptoms associated with quitting smoking. I was surprised with what happens, no one seems to tell you some of this stuff. Sensitive gums, bleeding gums, sweating, runny nose etc. I have smoked 40+ smokes a day for years, smoked approx 30 years, I have not smoked now for 4 weeks, 3 days. Hard as crap, used nicorette and nicabate lozenges for 3 weeks. I just keep very busy!!! I'm down the other end of Australia, South Coast, NSW.. Keep strong!!!

• I stuffed up guys, I lost it completely around 4pm and smoked. Ive since had three more and trying to fight the urge to have a fifth. I realised today that I have also missed like four days of my antidepressant so I am suffering withdrawals from that aswell. Going to chemist first thing tomorrow and going to get back on track. this is the hardest bloody thing ive ever had to do

• Hi HaylzfromOz, a big warm welcome to our friendly quit support community :) :)

Hayley, dont beat yourself up about it, just class it as a practice run to the real one :) but please try to learn from it :) as in, what time of day was it ? where were you ? what were you doing ? Write these trigger points down, keep a log and try to think of ways to alter your routine at these times :)

If you look to the right of your post, you will see ''Pinned Posts'' :) have a look through them and I advise you to make a quit smoking plan :) cos this wont just help you in the early stages of your quit, it will help you all the way through :)

Hayley, maybe try a form of NRT to help you get through the early stages of your quit :) Yes it is hard, but its doable and definitely worth it :) :)

If you have any questions or need any help, then you just come a shouting cos thats what were here for gal :)

Take care now and see ya soon :)

Pete :)

You may also like...