Not the reward I was expecting

I have been smoke free 3 weeks on Sun March 6, 2016. I ended up very breathless, wheezing, apparently with some sort of bronchial issue, I failed to get the gunk out of my lungs. I ended up in emergency, with 2 shots from the nebulizer, predisone, antibiotics and puffer and ordered to 4 day bed rest. I don't think I was really a heavy smoker at 2 packs a week. This was quite the wake up call for me, I realize and have been told that this situation is temporary and will get better . I also came to the realization that if I had not quit smoking this could be a permanent affliction. I can't imagine a life like that.

Has anyone else experienced a lung issue when they quit smoking??

36 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi , yes me, an still have the occasion when I have to use a puffer, but can assure you ten months down the line I'm a lot fitter, healthier an feel better , then I have in a long time, but I also smoked a lot more then you, keep up the good work, x

4 likes

Aup Jude, its lovely to see you again :) and doing soooo well too :) :) I'm just loving that your feeling the benefits of quitting smoking now :) :)

Stay strong now and speak soon :)

Pete :)

1 like

Thanx for the pep talk, looking forward to the other end of this. Nice to read I am not alone with this struggle.

3 likes

Congratulations on 9 months quit Jude, woo hoo💐🎈🎉🎊

1 like

Hi Denese, a big warm welcome to our quit support community :) and a massive well done to you for reaching 3 weeks quit, I hope your very proud of yourself :) :)

Denese, if you could please let me know your quit date, then I can keep your Winners badges up to date and add you to the Wall of Winners :)

Your in very early days yet Denese, sooo, please, please by patient and give your body time to change to its new healthier lifestyle eh :) Yes a lot of us seem to get rid of all that gunk out of our lungs during the first 2 weeks, but there are quite a few of us that didnt, so your not alone :) There have been a couple of members who got antibiotics from their docs to help shift the gunk from their lungs :)

If you look to the right of your post, you will see Pinned Posts and Topics, have a look through some of them, cos there's lots of help and advice their :) :)

Good luck on your quit and if you have any questions or just need a chat, please feel free to come on here :) :)

Pete :)

4 likes

Thanks Pete,

Glad to know I am not alone. My quit date was Feb 22/16. I know there will be light at the end of the tunnel, I keep telling myself this will be worth it in the end. Never thought though it would be like this. Thanx for the encouragement, everyone is soo great here

3 likes

Hello Denese, I understand what your going through. I have been smoke free for almost a year now. Never thought I would say that !! It is hard at first. Seems like you cant breathe and out of breath. I didnt go through what you did with the meds and all, I imagine that is scary. All I can say is hang in there and you will be feeling better, its takes a bit of time for your lungs to recover from not smoking. I wish you the best..you can do it!! :D

2 likes

Thank you and I look very forward to being smoke free. I keep telling myself it is going to be worth it. This experience has truly cemented me in never lighting another cigarette. Thanks for the encouragement

2 likes

Hi Paula, looks like we'll be having a big party in your new place to celebrate the big milestone coming up. Nearly a year, fantastic👍🏼😊

1 like

I know Briarwood I cant believe it has been a year. I have been so busy since the move and work is brutal, lol thank you sweetie I appreciate all the encouragement I have had over the months :D

1 like

Hi Denese and welcome to quit support😊

Really sorry to hear you've had such a tough time and well done on over 3 weeks quit

It really is all worthwhile and just remember NOPE not one puff ever🚭🚭🚭

2 likes

Thank you Briarwood for such a warm welcome, this is not an easy task. Never expected this. Back to Dr today, off work 5 more days and added a new puffer. Everyone is telling me this is gonna be worth in the end. When I get through this it will be an absolute NOPE for me

1 like

Congrats Denese on almost 4 weeks!!!!! So glad you quit now as it sounds like you would have run into health issues......Just don`t take that one puff as

1 puff=1 pack

A lot of people on site are going through lung issues. I`m sure they will be more than happy to share their experiences..

Hope your day is a good one xx

Thanx Arizonasands for the encouragement, Believe me I am sooo done with smoking. I have been through enough with quitting to never go back. It is not a easy road, but I think it could have been much worse for me later if I hadn't made the choice now.

Denese how are you doing up there in Canada? You anywhere near the big fire? we are going to get the haze from it Saturday and sunday--when the wind turns south--Im staying in with my goofy breathin--who needs to smoke with this goin on??Hope you are fine--xxx MmeT

1 like

Please Madame, you keep your windows and doors shut if that flippin smog comes a your way :) :) :) xx

just hope our lovely Arizona's house isnt near to the fire eh :o cos she lives in Alberta !!!!!!! and she's in Mexico at the mo eh :o :o 

Hi Pete--It is the southern part of Canada--lots of homes gone already --having a hard time containing it--I read on British Lung Foundation site--there is a huge toxic cloud settling on UK--anyone with asthma,short of breath or any lung problems sposed to look out--I can find it and send it to you if you want me too--sounds awful.. Im short of breath today--we have tons of pollen here too--more than usual--and then smoke comin down so its nasty--but you guys mite be getting it worse--Thanks for caring--xxx MmeT

1 like

Heyyy, Madame, we's here for ya gal :) :) xx

oh I luvs ya Pete  Thank you I sent you a link for the toxic cloud--you better stay in tomorrow- maybe

1 like

Yes Thank you Madame :) 

If it comes over here, then I will be docoring the bathroom :o if not, then I will be outside sunnning it up gal :) 8-) 8-) :D :D 

1 like

sounds like a posh life--sun yourself and have a cold beer--

1 like

Hmmmm, now that sounds like my cup of tea gal :D :D  :) :) 

lol-- I knew you would go fer that one--Id like some chilled wine please

Here you go Madame :) 

Whooooops, I seam to have spilt it :o sorryyyyyyyyy :o 

bashny.net/uploads/images/0...

I need that cow

90000 people running for their lives in Canada--horrible--

it is really bad... watched so  web cam videos of people leaving and driving through the fire for safety. Can't imagine the terror. I just hope everyone gets somewhere safe

1 like

yes--it is very sad--no casualties yet--THATS amazing xx MmeT

1 like
1 like

Hello to you... no fortunately we are pretty far. Just watching the happens with great interest. Yes I would suggest staying would be a great idea, if you are having breathing issues. not certain if it will reach us smoke residue will reach us here in Ontario. Everyone is keeping a very close eye. Thank you for asking, and hope you are doing very well too!!! 

1 like

I'm so happy you are some distance away from it Denese :) :) 

1 like

Thank you Monky, but I do feel for those people that have lost so much right now. 

1 like

we are going to get the smoke Saturday and  sunday when wind turns south--we are 1 state between here and Canada--North Dakota really going to get it--they are directly under southern part of Canada where fires are--and we are south Dakota right under North Dakota--well glad you are ok--and hope you are doing fine--MmeT

1 like

Yes, I did. I went to the doctor and got antibiotics and inhaler.

1 like

Hi ya Kimberley :) :) 

It sounds like doc sorted you out eh :) just hope they help you :) :) xx

1 like

You may also like...