Not the reward I was expecting

I have been smoke free 3 weeks on Sun March 6, 2016. I ended up very breathless, wheezing, apparently with some sort of bronchial issue, I failed to get the gunk out of my lungs. I ended up in emergency, with 2 shots from the nebulizer, predisone, antibiotics and puffer and ordered to 4 day bed rest. I don't think I was really a heavy smoker at 2 packs a week. This was quite the wake up call for me, I realize and have been told that this situation is temporary and will get better . I also came to the realization that if I had not quit smoking this could be a permanent affliction. I can't imagine a life like that.

Has anyone else experienced a lung issue when they quit smoking??

36 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi , yes me, an still have the occasion when I have to use a puffer, but can assure you ten months down the line I'm a lot fitter, healthier an feel better , then I have in a long time, but I also smoked a lot more then you, keep up the good work, x

• Aup Jude, its lovely to see you again :) and doing soooo well too :) :) I'm just loving that your feeling the benefits of quitting smoking now :) :)

Stay strong now and speak soon :)

Pete :)

• Thanx for the pep talk, looking forward to the other end of this. Nice to read I am not alone with this struggle.

• Congratulations on 9 months quit Jude, woo hoo💐🎈🎉🎊

• Hi Denese, a big warm welcome to our quit support community :) and a massive well done to you for reaching 3 weeks quit, I hope your very proud of yourself :) :)

Denese, if you could please let me know your quit date, then I can keep your Winners badges up to date and add you to the Wall of Winners :)

Your in very early days yet Denese, sooo, please, please by patient and give your body time to change to its new healthier lifestyle eh :) Yes a lot of us seem to get rid of all that gunk out of our lungs during the first 2 weeks, but there are quite a few of us that didnt, so your not alone :) There have been a couple of members who got antibiotics from their docs to help shift the gunk from their lungs :)

If you look to the right of your post, you will see Pinned Posts and Topics, have a look through some of them, cos there's lots of help and advice their :) :)

Good luck on your quit and if you have any questions or just need a chat, please feel free to come on here :) :)

Pete :)

• Thanks Pete,

Glad to know I am not alone. My quit date was Feb 22/16. I know there will be light at the end of the tunnel, I keep telling myself this will be worth it in the end. Never thought though it would be like this. Thanx for the encouragement, everyone is soo great here

• Hello Denese, I understand what your going through. I have been smoke free for almost a year now. Never thought I would say that !! It is hard at first. Seems like you cant breathe and out of breath. I didnt go through what you did with the meds and all, I imagine that is scary. All I can say is hang in there and you will be feeling better, its takes a bit of time for your lungs to recover from not smoking. I wish you the best..you can do it!! :D

• Thank you and I look very forward to being smoke free. I keep telling myself it is going to be worth it. This experience has truly cemented me in never lighting another cigarette. Thanks for the encouragement

• Hi Paula, looks like we'll be having a big party in your new place to celebrate the big milestone coming up. Nearly a year, fantastic👍🏼😊

• I know Briarwood I cant believe it has been a year. I have been so busy since the move and work is brutal, lol thank you sweetie I appreciate all the encouragement I have had over the months :D

• Hi Denese and welcome to quit support😊

Really sorry to hear you've had such a tough time and well done on over 3 weeks quit

It really is all worthwhile and just remember NOPE not one puff ever🚭🚭🚭

• Thank you Briarwood for such a warm welcome, this is not an easy task. Never expected this. Back to Dr today, off work 5 more days and added a new puffer. Everyone is telling me this is gonna be worth in the end. When I get through this it will be an absolute NOPE for me

• Congrats Denese on almost 4 weeks!!!!! So glad you quit now as it sounds like you would have run into health issues......Just don`t take that one puff as

1 puff=1 pack

A lot of people on site are going through lung issues. I`m sure they will be more than happy to share their experiences..

Hope your day is a good one xx

• Thanx Arizonasands for the encouragement, Believe me I am sooo done with smoking. I have been through enough with quitting to never go back. It is not a easy road, but I think it could have been much worse for me later if I hadn't made the choice now.

• Denese how are you doing up there in Canada? You anywhere near the big fire? we are going to get the haze from it Saturday and sunday--when the wind turns south--Im staying in with my goofy breathin--who needs to smoke with this goin on??Hope you are fine--xxx MmeT

• Please Madame, you keep your windows and doors shut if that flippin smog comes a your way :) :) :) xx

just hope our lovely Arizona's house isnt near to the fire eh :o cos she lives in Alberta !!!!!!! and she's in Mexico at the mo eh :o :o 

• Hi Pete--It is the southern part of Canada--lots of homes gone already --having a hard time containing it--I read on British Lung Foundation site--there is a huge toxic cloud settling on UK--anyone with asthma,short of breath or any lung problems sposed to look out--I can find it and send it to you if you want me too--sounds awful.. Im short of breath today--we have tons of pollen here too--more than usual--and then smoke comin down so its nasty--but you guys mite be getting it worse--Thanks for caring--xxx MmeT

• Heyyy, Madame, we's here for ya gal :) :) xx

• oh I luvs ya Pete  Thank you I sent you a link for the toxic cloud--you better stay in tomorrow- maybe

• Yes Thank you Madame :) 

If it comes over here, then I will be docoring the bathroom :o if not, then I will be outside sunnning it up gal :) 8-) 8-) :D :D 

• sounds like a posh life--sun yourself and have a cold beer--

• Hmmmm, now that sounds like my cup of tea gal :D :D  :) :) 

• lol-- I knew you would go fer that one--Id like some chilled wine please

• Here you go Madame :) 

Whooooops, I seam to have spilt it :o sorryyyyyyyyy :o 

bashny.net/uploads/images/0...

• I need that cow

• 90000 people running for their lives in Canada--horrible--

• it is really bad... watched so  web cam videos of people leaving and driving through the fire for safety. Can't imagine the terror. I just hope everyone gets somewhere safe

• yes--it is very sad--no casualties yet--THATS amazing xx MmeT

• Hello to you... no fortunately we are pretty far. Just watching the happens with great interest. Yes I would suggest staying would be a great idea, if you are having breathing issues. not certain if it will reach us smoke residue will reach us here in Ontario. Everyone is keeping a very close eye. Thank you for asking, and hope you are doing very well too!!! 

• I'm so happy you are some distance away from it Denese :) :) 

• Thank you Monky, but I do feel for those people that have lost so much right now. 

• we are going to get the smoke Saturday and  sunday when wind turns south--we are 1 state between here and Canada--North Dakota really going to get it--they are directly under southern part of Canada where fires are--and we are south Dakota right under North Dakota--well glad you are ok--and hope you are doing fine--MmeT

• Yes, I did. I went to the doctor and got antibiotics and inhaler.

• Hi ya Kimberley :) :) 

It sounds like doc sorted you out eh :) just hope they help you :) :) xx

You may also like...