Results of Quiting the smoke

After quitting smoking in 2010 from 37 years of smoking I have found that I have acquired "something"

and these so called doctors can only keep putting me through every hurdle in the book.

So, now that I have quit smoking I can no longer run, jog, or even walk fast without be out of breath; when I smoked two packs a day I could run 5 miles in 20 minutes and smoke while doing this, swim and basically do anything at all always while smoking. I have been tested for oxygen content, COPD, blood borne, sleep apnea, and have had some of the stress tests performed all to come up empty handed. Doctor says do not do any extra exercising until this is figured out for it may kill me. my heart gets to racing so high that I cannot get my breath for about one minute, then all is fine again. the tread mill incident was the best, the doctors wanted to get my heart rate up to 144 bpm from my normal 52 bpm, we got up to 90 and I literally passed out. These doctors gave me the nitro pill and that was also a very big mistake, for if you are not actually having a heart attack that pill will make you wish you were, for you will get the worst migraine you have ever thought of....be ware! Oh, I also had the inhaled regiment; it too was no good!

So, the bottom line of all this chit chat is: what the hell is wrong with me? I don't think this is age, sex, or race related so we will leave this out to save on the bias.

contact with your best ideals, we can research together (unclebe38@yahoo.com)

Last edited by

19 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Hello Unclebe...... Hmmmmm... Well I'm only 10 weeks smokefree and I can't say I have more energy but that is because I went hypothyroid when I quit smoking so I'm working with my dr to get the right dosage of my new drug.......

Hopefully there will be someone on this site that can shed some light on your condition.............Sorry I cannot but I just wanted to welcome you to this site and wish you success in your research

Arizona๐ŸŒท

• Hi Unclebe,

Welcome to the quit support forum. I'm sorry you have been having such a terrible time, sounds like you have been really suffering for a long time and you are desperate to get answers. It must be extremely frustrating to have to go through test after test and still no answers. And some of the tests have made things even worse.

Why do you think this is related to not smoking? It could be as a result of smoking. I'm not sure anyone will have the answers you are looking for, but we are certainly not too bad at offering support or encouragement. Or just a place to come and vent which helps me sometimes.

I think you need to stick with your medical team and have faith that they will get to the bottom of this terrible situation for you.

I really hope you get some relief and some answers soon.

Take care.

๐Ÿ˜‡

• I really don't know what "support and encouragement" are good for if the Doctors cannot give me the support I am looking for? I am in a bad frame of mind over this because this whole ideal of quit smoking and you will feel better is not all exactly correct; i felt better when i smoked, yes it may have been false representation but I still managed to do allot more then. the only encouragement is to keep paying these guessing doctors until they accidentally find the answer. Maybe I just need a counselor.

• Hey Unclebe........Addiction is cunning and baffling I hope that the addiction part of your thinking isn't convincing you to light up...... I feel the intense stress you're under with your health.... I feel worse too.... I'm having medical problems as well due to quitting but I'm not going to light up ........ There's 4000 deadly chemicals in cigarettes that I'm not going to inhale ...... I really hope for your sake that you don't take that first puff xxxx

• Hi Unclebe38

Have you had a CT scan? I expect you have given what you have said....but I'm just nosey. I think you may get more luck (and more answers/ suggestions) on the British Lung Foundation community on Healthunlocked. I would bet that your symptoms have nothing to do with quitting as its been too long since you did. The BLF have a helpline number as well as an online community. They are a great support for anyone that's worried. All the best and good luck

Ann

• Hi Unclebe38, a big warm welcome to our quit support community :) and BIG congratulations to you for quitting smoking in 2010 and staying quit too :) :)

I'm sorry Unclebe, but I cant help you with this one :o but like our lovely ''Rozi'' has said, maybe try the British Lung Foundation community :) cos am sure they will know more about your trouble and they may even have members with the same symptoms as you :)

You take care now Unclebe :)

Pete :)

• I was diagnosed with copd before i gave up smoking! must admit now i have stopped my breathing did worsen but on a new inhaler and ok. I cannot honestly say i have noticed a vast improvement since giving up. My philosophy is you are breathing ok so carry on as i have had some frightening episodes where i was struggling. I have no explaination for it just do what i can day to day. They say it takes over a year for your lungs to improve so maybe?!

• Hiya uncle and welcome to quit support๐Ÿ˜Š

I see you've got lots of good advice already so I'll just say hope you get to the bottom of this and get some answers. Huge respect for staying smokefree through it all and 5 years is awesome๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜Šx

• 5 years is a heck of long time...............I'm so sorry to read this. I am at 7 1/2 months, and can kind of relate. Keeping you in my prayers.

• Hi unclebe, I stopped 20 months ago but in Aug last year I started suffering with breathlessness. I have had every test in the book but they don't know why. I could be sitting watching tv and get, climbing stairs, walking .... There's no rhyme or reason for it.... I could walk up a steep hill and be fine!!

The latest one is that it could be related to my vocal chords.... Go figure (it's not as if I do a lot of talking!!)

I have no idea why except I had an op in Aug last year and had a panic attack when I came round and needed oxygen... The docs say it's coincidence ๐Ÿ™

So I really do hope you have better luck than me but do keep us posted ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Ps :: way to go on 5 years quit ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ

• I have been feeling the same ,there are things I can no longer do since I have quit and find it so discouraging. Actually y I feel worse since I stopped smoking .I am so tired of feeling like I am out of breath and to even yawn is a struggle (go figure) to get a breath in. I told my doctor I am 4 months in quitting cigs his mundane comment was well the damage is already done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the support doc. Sometimes I feel I should just say the hell with it and smoke what could be worse then being so discouraged quitting and feeling this way.

• Oh la55, sorry your feeling a bit low but it is part of the healing process...... sorry you also have an arse for a GP, a bit of support don't cost anything!!!

Your doing soooo well, 3 months smoke free is an amazing quit so please don't give up, it does get better, its just some of us take longer than normal so stick with it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Hiya la55, some people just don't understand how hard this quitting is and your doc appears to be one of them๐Ÿ˜ก his remarks were unnecessary and unhelpful๐Ÿ˜ฉ

We know how hard it is, so please don't be discouraged as you're doing a terrific job and it takes time for your body to heal. Just keep believing that you really are doing the best thing for your health, coz you are๐Ÿ˜Šx

• Merry Christmas la55....... Not liking your dr..... I just wanted to tell you that my energy is SLOWLY creeping back..... I have been exhausted for 3 months ..... But I don't believe the damage is irreversible .... Every day we don't light up is one less cigarette that is going to put poison in our bodies...... Hang in there and I will too..... Not one puff EVER xxxx

• Thanks to you all for the encouragement and support ,I know it's not going to be easy and I determined to be a non smoker. I actually found a part package of cigarettes this pass Friday that I set aside when I decided to quit, I looked at the cigarettes and thought just have one, then I thought look how far I have come, I have never made it this far before ,I will start to feel better eventually I hope .I did not have a cigarette woooooohooooo good for me patting myself on the back ((((((((sorry but it has been such a struggle some days lately))))))) all day I kept looking at the garbage can and thinking just one , when my husband came home from work and I told him what I found (The cigs) I told him they are in that garbage can, he told me I know its hard and I am so proud of you ...............and he took the garbage out lol

So that was a huge test for me finding them then not giving in even though I am not feeling well since I stopped smoking, I am hoping that will come soon.

Hanging in there being a non smoker I will make it I am determined and take it one day at a time. just one day at a time !!

• Hi ya La, its great to see ya gal :) :) annnnnd a 4 months Winner todayyyyyyy :) :) Yippyyyyyyyyy Dippyyyyyyyy Dooooooooooo :D :D and a fantastic welllll done to you for staying strong and not lighting up :) :) I am so so PROUD of ya La :)

HEY, you look after that hubby of your's, cos ya got a goodn there gal :)

I'm sorry your feeling off it and down at the moment :( but please be patient, we are all different and take different times to reap the benefits of quitting smoking :) La, if you have a look to the right of this post and up a bit, you will see ''Pinned Posts'' there is a post by Emjay in there about the feel good chemicals and some other great posts too :) maybe have a read through them :) If you cant find them, just give us a shout and I will gladly repost them for you :) Try to drink plenty of water to help flush your body out :)

You take care now La and hope to see ya soon :)

Pete :)

• Well done la55 for resisting huge temptation, be very proud of yourself for chucking em in the bin๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• Hi la55 maybe you need to arrange a little treat for yourself with the money you have saved ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š that might perk you up a bit ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

What a supportive hubby you have and even takes the rubbish out for you..... He's a keeper ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

• Yes 4 months and doing great being a non smoker.

I never thought I would be able to kick this filthy habit but 4 months in and tell myself look how far you have come when I want to light up a cig.

I still cough in the morning at times not everyday but I am told this is my lungs healing,some days it feels like I am going to cough a lung up lol

Hang in there everyone that is quitting ,one day at a time and tell yourself you can do it and no longer be a slave to the old stinking cigarettes

Yes my hubby is fabulous and I also take the rubbish out ,lol

Take care everyone

You may also like...