Hi im new to all this but thought i would share my story. I am 63 years old and have smoked from a young age. I gave up in March this year. 7 months later i am having a lot of breathing problems. Cannot walk a few strides with out getting out of breath and wheezing all the time. Have been to Doctor and to a & e, as friends were worried about me and they did lots of tests and luckily they said there was nothing nasty going on. Huge relief but it is very debilitating as, for my age, i am quite active i. I work full time and on my days off i work with horses which i find quite difficult to do now as cant turn out or bring in without getting completely out of breath. Has anyone else had these problems. I have also smoked a vape pen which Dr's and hospital were not that concerned about.

8 Replies

• i couldnt use a vape pen it made me cough so much worse than when i was on 20 cigs a day. so it could be the pen. maybe see how you go with out it and see if there is an improvement.

• hiya Lizzie and a big warm welcome to quit support 😊

Congratulations on your 7 month quit, well done to you👍🏼

I'm sorry to hear you're having breathing problems😢 but it's good news that you've been checked out by your Doc and have the all clear from them. I wonder are you still using the ecig and have you changed your normal ejuice. I know some of our members have taken longer than others to stop coughing, so it may just be your body is still healing. Have a good look around the site and you'll see some pinned posts on the right about coughing and also some breathing techniques which might help😊x

• The thing is i dont have a cough. With the ecig im on the tobacco leaf and im only doing that in the evenings now so slowly cutting that out. The Drs put me on 5 day antibiotics, steroids and i have an inhaler. Just think it might take a long while before i feel healthy again. Thank you for your support it isw nice to know that there are other people out there to talk to .

• thats good Lizzie, hope the medication helps and there's always someone around for a chat👍🏼 here's to a healthier future😊x

• Hi ya Lizzie261, a big warm welcome to our lovely quit support community and a MASSIVE well done to you for being smokefree for 7 months :) :)

We have had some of our members becoming out of breath and wheezy when they have quit, but not as longer quit as you :o ermmm, am just wandering, if you have coughed up any phlegm during your quit :o cos normally when we first quit, we cough up all that ermm, stuff, thats in our lungs from flippin smoking :o and this helps our lungs to clean themselves out :)

I know some of our members have had to go to the Dr's for some antibiotics to help their lungs to clean out all of the stuff :) Lizzie, I'm so happy you've had tests and they've been proved negative :) soooo, its not a deep down problem is it :) :)

Rite, e-cigs :o I use an e-cig myself, a vape type with the liquid and never had any trouble :) BUT, saying that, I can remember a member on here having trouble with coughing and breathing a few weeks a go, but they had changed their supplier cos it was cheaper :o Sooooo, I would strongly commend you stick to a reputable supplier for your e-cigs and refills :) :)

Take care now Lizzie and I hope you get sorted out soon :)

Pete :)

PS, Lizzie, how was your breathing before you quit :o

• Haven't really coughed up anything. Feel like i want to but nothing. My breathing before i stopped was a lot better i could do things. I know this will sound strange but the e-cig seems to calm my breathing down but i want to get off that as well. Thank you for all your support x

• hi lizzie and a big warm welcome :) :)

7 months is just sensational :) :) you must be feeling very proud of yourself :) :)

Great news that you your health checks have come back clear - like you said, it may just take some time.

the others have given you some good advice....Hang in there... :) :)

• Hi Lizzie, Whoohoo on 7 months, that's fantastic 😃

I too am having breathlessness which started after 5 months quit and coincidently after an op ( had panic attack going down and woke up not being able to breathe)... I have had all sorts of test and have a couple more coming up. They have ruled out copd but think it may be my vocal chords. I have now started a food and breathless diary and each day I put down how breathless I am on a scale of 0-10. I have also started swimming which seems to help 😊

I hope it improves soon with you 😊😊

You may also like...