Devastation to frustration!

I have been a non smoker for 2 weeks now and after the first 2 days found it very easy not to light up after myself diagnoses!

Generally feeling like crap and constant coughing to the point where I couldn't catch my breath the thought came into my head that the damage was already done and I have lung cancer.

So as we do in this age of technology I turned to google to look up the symptoms of lung cancer, below is an extract from

Most lung cancers do not cause any symptoms until they have spread too far to be cured, but symptoms do occur in some people with early lung cancer. If you go to your doctor when you first notice symptoms, your cancer might be diagnosed at an earlier stage, when treatment is more likely to be effective. The most common symptoms of lung cancer are:

• A cough that does not go away or gets worse

• Chest pain that is often worse with deep breathing, coughing, or laughing

• Hoarseness

• Weight loss and loss of appetite

• Coughing up blood or rust-coloured sputum (spit or phlegm)

• Shortness of breath

• Feeling tired or weak

• Infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia that don’t go away or keep coming back

• New onset of wheezing

If lung cancer spreads to distant organs, it may cause:

• Bone pain (like pain in the back or hips)

• Nervous system changes (such as headache, weakness or numbness of an arm or leg, dizziness, balance problems, or seizures), from cancer spread to the brain or spinal cord

• Yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice), from cancer spread to the liver

• Lumps near the surface of the body, due to cancer spreading to the skin or to lymph nodes (collections of immune system cells), such as those in the neck or above the collarbone

After reading this and being able to tick all but the coughing up blood box I resigned myself to the hand that I had been dealt full well knowing that I had no one else to blame except myself.

I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone and was not ready to go to the doctor to find out how long I had left. I needed some time for it to sink in.

My six year old son asked if I could stop cuddling him for a while so he could play and I would answer not just yet little buddy, (who knows how much longer I had left to hold him)!

After a week I decided that I needed to go to the doctor and see how long I had. My appointment was yesterday afternoon.

Yesterday morning I was browsing on the internet and some how stumbled on this sight, imagine the feelings of emotion that I had when reading other peoples posts to find that the things that I was feeling were normal withdrawal symptoms. Who would have thought that the symptoms for nicotine withdrawal mimicked the symptoms for lung cancer!!!

I turned up to my appointment yesterday afternoon and left feeling fantastic, I had been cleared of lung cancer!!

How nice would it have been if the websites that I had looked up for thy symptoms of lung cancer had mentioned that withdrawal symptoms from nicotine also mimicked these symptoms as I am sure that many people have done the same as I have, and the majority of people looking up lung cancer symptoms are ex smokers going through withdrawal!!!

The positive to come out of this experience is that after a week and a half of believing that I had little time left on this earth and the sadness that came with it, it now takes very little effort to fight any cravings that I have to light another cigarette!

The moral of the story?

Don't google s**t that requires a degree to diagnose!!

5 Replies

• Bless you for putting yourself through all that. Infact if you changed the header of those symptoms to "new strain of flu virus" nearly all would fit in comfortably.

Giving up focuses your mind sometimes in the wrong direction, you become more aware of your body, more aware of your health and all of a sudden you panic.

Think I can safely say we have all been there.

When you think about it, if people search terms like "bad persistent cough", they will nearly always click on the worst search result. The more people that click on the same result the more that result appears and moves up the ranking!!

Well done on two weeks, I'm almost on 2 months and have dropped to a few gums a day. Boy do I miss it , cravings do pass though.

Everyday you don't smoke your body is getting better, it may ache, you may cough, but in a few weeks or maybe months you are going to be 100 times healthier than where you were this time last year.

I realised the other day I can climb 4 flights of steps in work without a second thought! December I would wait until I really needed to go before climbing them!

Keep going!!!

Jim x

• Hi Beckymack and welcome to quit support.

Congratulations on getting through the first 2 weeks as a non smoker :) :)

Wow, thats a story and a half... putting yourself through all that you poor thing :) :)

Now you can just focus on enjoying life with your son as a non smoker and knowing that you will be around to enjoy lots of lots of snuggles and watch him grow up :) :)

On the right hand side of the page there is lots of information on what to expect as part of process of your body repairing itself from the smoking :) :)

Enjoy the journey and remember NOPE..Not One Puff Ever and you will do just fine :) :)

• Hiya Becky and congrats on your 2 week quit although it's been a terrible time for you, you've come through it all so well done 😃 I think most of us at some time or another have googled health symptoms and a friend of mine calls it Dr Google 😳 she would most certainly agree with you not to do it. So glad that you have a positive outcome from this awful experience and welcome to quit support where we can all help one another, so thanks for sharing 😃 x

• Aup Becky, its lovely to meet you and a big warm welcome to our quit support community :)

I see you have had loads of great advice already :) and all I can say is a massive great big well done to you for staying quit through this ermmmm, hard time eh :) Just hope your son's allowed out more now eh :D :D

We are all different Becky, and we all get different withdrawal symptoms when were quitting smoking :o so you just keep on looking forwards and be proud of yourself for your achievement :) :) cos 2 weeks quit is just fantastic gal :) :) and as you can see, I've been out and got you a shiny 2 weeks Winners badge for ya :)

If you would please let me know your quit date, then I can add it to the Wall of Winners and award you with the appropriate Winners badges as they become due, thankyouuuuuuu :) :)

You take care now Becky and stay focused and positive on your quit :)

Pete :)

• Hi Becky, well dome on your quit, youre doing a fab job :) I can't add any more than the hugely wise and knowledgeable guys and girls above other than the moral of your story is bang on, love it :D take care x

You may also like...