Liberated XD

Hey all,

Just writing to share with you a method for quitting smoking which has worked wonderfully for me. I started smoking when I was 16, unlike many I never started off as a casual smoker but instead within the second or third day I was a 1 pack a day smoker. By the time I was 22 I needed more than 2 pack of smokes on a good day and 3 or more on a depressing or stressful day (which seems to be increasingly common after a while). By now I am 28 and have been smoking more than 12 years but for the fact that I quilted.

Waking up every morning to smokers cough, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest and wheezing at 25 was not how I imagined life to be and hence I decided to stop. I tried patches, gum, cold turkey, the will power method. Needless to say the furthest I 'made it' was 5 month before I start scrambling to scratch the itch. My favorite joke after a while was that quitting smoking was the easiest thing to do, I myself have quilted 30 over times. I will light up every time I repeated this joke to make a point. After a while I convinced myself that smoking forever was not a bad idea. I remember telling myself that, while lighting up and having tears running down my cheeks. I was convinced at that time I was going to die before I was 55. Both my grandfathers had passed away before 55 years old from lung cancer.

Albeit that, I stopped last week. Like stopped. And I know I never want another stick ever in my life again. Why am I so convinced? Well I have a story to share which seems a bit off tangent, I do apologize but bear with me.

Earlier today I was attacked in a female toilet. It happened when I was coming out of one of the cubicles in the female toilet and found myself face to face with a man whom had tried very hard to drag me back into the cubicle. To cut the story short, I was nearly raped.

Being nearly raped is the PERFECT excuse to light up again. But I did not. It actually went through my mind, in a very non-committal manner. I rationally and coldly considered whether I needed a smoke, like how I would consider whether I would like some parsley to make dinner more pleasing looking. I went like nah. And that was it. No temptations, no cravings, no battle of will power. I just went like Nah.

The method I used is probably one that you know of: Allen Carr Easyway to quit smoking.

I realize that Allen's book saved my life today. Both literary and figuratively speaking. If I was still on my 2 packs a day I would not be talking to you now. I would not have the strength to fight the assailant back. My head would be smashed on the toilet floor, and me probably raped if not dead for the matter. But instead I here telling you about this awesome book which does not make quitting awful but a rather pleasing experience.

I am generally do not make comments on forums. But I have decided that today was an exceptional day. Allen Carr saved my life. And I hope that by writing this message, I am returning the favor - I decided to try Allen Carr after reading about it on a forum somewhere on the internet. My only regret was why have I not found out about it much earlier. Good luck and may you be liberated of cigarettes.

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Wow thats some ordeal you had. Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully encourage others to quit too. :)

• Hey Carmen, I totally agree that the Allan Carr Easyway is a fantastic book and I intend to read it again tomorrow just to completely my preparation and get my head completely straight before my official stopping day on Monday.

So sorry to hear you about your horrendous experience and I hope you are recovering. I do completely get the point of why you are telling it - if you hadn't stopped smoking a week ago you simply wouldn't have been able to defend yourself so thank goodness you did and thank goodness that you read the book a week ago which helped you do that.

And a massive congratulations for not using the horrible experience today as an excuse to smoke again - in spite of everything you've been through, you should be feeling so proud of yourself Well done!

Take care and best wishes

Chrissie xx

ps And I hope they get the Git who did that to you xx

• Hi Carmen

Totally agree with you about the Allen Car book. I'm on my 12th quit week after 42 years of smoking and it's been much easier than I ever imagined. Like you, I just know I will never smoke again and every morning I get up without lighting up is a cause for a wide smile. I love not smoking. I love not stinking, I love that my skin is repairing and I love not making excuses to myself and others for being so stupid.

I know it doesn't work for everyone because people gave said that on here but everyone should give the book a try at least.

I hope they catch him too.

• Thank you for everyone's concern .... been getting warm messages about the ordeal. But I am really alright except for the muscle cramps I woke up to this morning. I think its from the kicking and running. Besides that I am great XD.

I wanted to comment something about Allen's book. I too, like Rozi have heard that it does not work for all. The thing about Allen Carr was that I have actually read him three times. First was June 2013; I relapse after a few weeks. The second was actually on the 7th March, a week earlier from the day I actually quit. I tried very hard to convince myself that I was over cigarettes. I wanted to believe in Allen's word but it did not work. I thought that it was Game Over for me.

On the 14 March, my boyfriend who had quit through Allen's method sat me down. He asked me to reread it again. I did. Armed with Allen's book and a pack of cigarettes I read the whole book again. Funny thing is, this time it really clicked. I saw smoking as what it actually was. I see cigarettes now as little white lies you tell yourself.

A little voice in your head tells you things like:

"Have one, it relaxes you"

"You'll think better after that stick"

"Go on, you stopped for three days already, is it not time to relief yourself."

"Seriously, you know you will never stop. Stop kidding yourself just do yourself a favor and smoke."

And when you do have that one stick: "See, once a smoker always a smoker."

I sure everyone heard these before. They are lies we tell ourselves and we believe it because it is came from the most trustworthy and reliable source that anyone can believe in: ourselves. And as with all lies, it gets bigger and bigger until it becomes an avalanche that comes crumbling down. But we must not forget that there is no mountain that we cannot climb. We just need the right mindset and the willingness to try again.

The first few days after I quit, I could still hear the 'little monster' scratching away- what I do is I reread Allen Carr again..I particularly like the chapter "Just on cigarette" because it reminds me of all the "one cigarette" and all those little lies I tell myself. And before I know it the little voice disappears. Now I don't hear it anymore.

Rozi is right. It is really great at this side.I am astounded by all the energy that I have. I laugh more and I genuinely feel happier. I think I am a better person now... no longer the silent brooding smoker that I used to be. I used to look angry all the time. Funny how things changes when you stop having the one stick.

Really really give Allen's book a try. It helped Rozi. It helped me and my boyfriend. I really hope it helps whoever is reading this post too.

• Thanks for sharing that with us, keep well and strong and I am going to take a look at this book heard lots of comments about it x

You may also like...