PTSD Global Community
749 members116 posts

Ptsd coping

I am dealing with Ptsd for a long time. The problem is I didn't know I had it until 5 years ago. I'm angry about that cause it ruined my marriage cause I didn't know what was wrong with me. No violence involved. Never had a fight in my entire life. I did therapy and cbt has helped the most . emdr I thought was ineffective. Seemed silly to me. Not real enough for me. Anyway I'm getting another surgery on Monday. My situation all resulted from a car accident I was in at a young age. My friends father died. My good friend later died in 9/11. So I ended up with survivors guilt. The kicker is that I remember the entire accident up until they took me into emergency surgery which I know now has haunted me for many years. Sadly I didn't know til 5 years ago. Anyway I'm mentally healthy just not physically right now. My third surgery in a year is mMonday. I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I believe that. I'm learning to let ignorant people go. Ignorance is like a bad disease. Its everywhere. Well have a good dat people.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge and we can't blame people for that now can we? I lived with PTSD for half my adult life, not knowing what kept knocking me down again and again. Only when I was able to put my finger on the exact causes and deal with those was I able to overcome it.

My best advice is to keep fighting.

We are all in the gutter, some of us turn over and look at the stars!

You have a nice day too my friend. Be safe.

noun: ignorance

lack of knowledge or information - example "he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"or"he was ignorant on the topic in question"

synonyms:incomprehension, unawareness, unconsciousness, inexperience, innocence

I would never ever put ignorance and innocence next to each other...

If one person does a harm (hit, kick etc or emotional one) to other person that's not innocence. It may be ignorance but it's not a lack of knowledge. Am I missing something?

1 like

No, your right, it's not innocence but it's not ignorance either. Racism, sexism perhaps or just downright bullying. Cause by ignorance maybe, but it isn't directly due to that.

When I was a child I didn't like black people. I didn't like black people because my parents didn't and they taught me not to like them.bthey reinforced the cultural stereotype by using the n word and other words like gollywog and so on.

Is that my fault? My ignorance (lack of knowledge) was caused by another couple of people. As I grew up I gained knowledge, and friends from Africa, from Kenya and Tanzania I learned black people are people just like me, human beings just a different colour.

So I challenged my own ignorance with experience and change my opinions.

I can't say why someone kicks or punches another person, but there is usually a reason, their own insecurity, their need for feelings of personal power (because they have none) or to cater to their ego centrism, who knows. But it isn't down to ignorance as a general rule.

Ignorance is an often misunderstood and misused word.

Have a a nice day friend.

Hi , glad you overcame your earlier situation. I treat everyone the same, if I don't like their act. I don't deal with them unless I have to. I'm not talking about a bad day. I mean their consistent behavior over time. Since I'm a forgiving soul they must really be a jerk. Lol

2 likes

Thanks for reply.

It's a learning day for me. I learned what means ignorance ;)

There have been a lot of occasions when I see people having that lack of knowledge. But so far I didn't link those two together.

what's your first language? It's not English is it? I teach English as a foreign language, so a professional interest

You are right, English is not my first language. If you are a teacher then mistakes made by other language speaker's can guide you to nationality or language group ;)

Make a guess :)

I honestly have no idea as your English is pretty good, I have a hunch, either Polish or Nigerian but accept I my be way way off the correct guess.

Hi Rinoman1,

I have learned that the only people who really understand are those who have been through this themselves. I learned that the heard way by expecting to be shown consideration of my injuries and health issues.

1 like

Hi Rinoman1,

How did you get on with surgery? I hope it went well and you are making a good recovery?

Same here, I'm another survivor of a road traffic accident.

Be nice to hear from you.

Please give us an update? Let us know how you are?

1 like

I'm hanging in there but I need to get a new job and I have a company interested but won't be able. To work for 2 months, no money coming in its very stressful at this point. I pray each day for everyone then myself. I need a break my way. Thx for reading my reply

1 like

You may also like...