MUSIC CAUSING HEADACHES

HI ,EVERY ONE SORRY I USE CAPS A LOT BUT NOT SHOUTING

GOT HIT BY A CAR AND IN A BUILDING THE IRA BOMBED 1992

ENDED UP WITH PTSD AND MILD BRAIN INJURY

MY QUESTION ?

USING MUSIC FOR MEDITATION NO MATTER THE PITCH GIVES HEADACHES

LIGHT NOISE SENSITIVE NOW AFTER THE ACCIDENT ..ANY ONE WITH ANY TIPS

FIND SUPERMARKETS REALLY HARD 1LIGHT,2COLOURED PACKAGES,TALKING , JUST SEEMS TO SHUT ME DOWN ..SOMETIMES I DONT KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM LEAVE MY GOODS BEHIND ....CAUSE COGNITIVE DELAY MEANS I MIGHT REALISE AFTER DAYS

ANY TIPS COPING STRATERGIES WOULD BE GREAT ..THANKS

ALSO THE ANXIETY PANIC CAUSED BY PTSD

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi sange, welcome to the HU Global PTSD Community.

Glad you found us!

You have quite a plateful there to deal with and I can offer you some ideas.

I too suffer with PTSD and a complex brain injury from an RTA 13 years ago.

I'm still in and out of hospital like you do ;-)

But yes, I share with all the symptoms you describe!! I would add:

Loud music in shops, shop staff slamming plastic trays on the floors, tannoy systems, white noise from lighting and chillers, children screaming and shouting. People trying to shove me out of the way or invading my space, when I don't understand what staff are saying, security staff who follow me around the store because I have quite an imposing appearance. But not a shop lifter, I can hardly walk never mind do a runner!! Lol lol

With shops my partner and I operate an avoidance policy because you cannot avoid the numerous issues inside shops.

So we buy online including our grocery shopping. Our physical disabilities severely limit our access to the shops and as our local town centre is very unfriendly we don't go there.

We use eBay, Amazon and Google now for shopping. But most major stores have online shopping too. It just cuts out the complex issues with shopping in person.

• Hyper sensitivity to noise and noise from multiple sources is an issue for me too.

Have you tried using soft ear plugs?

Being a biker myself I use soft foam earplugs quite often. The peace and calm they give is brilliant and they are cheap to buy!

I use sunglasses quite a lot even when it's cloudy because bright lights bring on headaches

How do you get in with watching the TV?

• GREAT REPLY ..TV I FALL ASLEEP ,OVERLOAD AND MUST RECORD STUFF TO WATCH LATER ..

• Also re the glasses i get headache wearing so always wear caps and pull over my eyes ...wish i had another way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• A cap I guess isn't much use in bright sunlight?

I have used the same brand of sunglasses for the last 20 years because of their legendary quality and because their lenses are designed to be optically perfect. In other words there is no distortion of the image you see no matter which way your eyes are looking. They make them this way for high speed motorsports. I don't think any other sunglass manufacturer designs the lenses like that.

My eyes don't get tired in them and they don't give me any headaches.

There is a downside though, they are expensive.

The brand is Oakley and they make prescription sunglasses if you wear eyesight correction glasses.

Expensive, but I find them worth it.

• That is exactly what tv does to me! That is uncanny?

All the flashing images and verbal assault shuts me down, I can't watch TV for very long before I shut down and go to sleep. It's like your mind and body reject the tv?

I don't watch much tv as you might guess. I use the internet far more because I am in control of what I watch and read.

I can read on the internet easily but books I can't.

Do you have any issues with reading? and concentration?

• I can describe exactly what my mind cannot cope with on tv and just automatically rejects.

The constant adverts which I guess are expensive for only a couple of minutes, but they are rammed full of highly condensed images and too much sensory information. Not just music and sounds or the images that change every second or less. But it is that each image itself contains powerful imagery which is what the advertisers want to maximise their message in a small time slot, but it has the opposite effect on me because it is sensory overload and I either look away or hold my hand out at arms length to block the view of the screen until the advert has finished. Even so the flashing lights generated by the changing images are horrendous even behind my holdout hand. They really go give me bad headaches.