Anyone got any experience of Prism Glasses please?

I’ve just requested a pair for dad today from the PSPA, as I’m thinking my Dad is having difficulties looking downwards ie at photos, videos on my mobile etc etc. Apparently there are ones for looking upwards too, but I’m gonna try the ones for looking downwards first because I think that’s the current issue.....Has anyone any experience of these please?

I asked my Dad today how he thinks his eyesight is and he said not very good so I asked him to try and explain, he couldn’t, bless him!

I’ve also organised for the opticians to do an eye test next week, but think that may be pointless.....

Another dreaded and hateful part of Psp........x

29 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Satt2015, my dad had problems with his eyesight and has been cared for at the hospital for many years, due to suffering from glaucoma, long before getting PSP. His high street optician prescribed glasses with prisms in the lenses and charged him handsomely for them. After being diagnosed with PSP the ophthalmologist at the hospital said that they use temporary flexible plastic prism lenses that stick to his present glasses lenses. These can be peeled off and substituted as often as required as the patient’s eyesight will alter all the time so would be very expensive to keep up with the deterioration in vision. This has the added bonus that the hospital versions are FREE on the NHS and you don’t need to wait for them to be made up. They just trim them to size and stick them on there and then. My dad is now unable to read etc even with his prisms as he has deteriorated rapidly. May be worth asking for a referral. Good luck. JR61 x

• Thank you JR61, very helpful but also so saddening to read x

• I AGREE

LOL JILL

XXXXXX

• My husband had prism glasses. Unfortunately, they did not help his sight much. Sorry. X

• Don’t apologise Robbo I’m grateful for your response x

• Hi Satt2015. I’ve spoken to the ophthalmologist before, and apparently she indicated that prism glasses may not help much as believe that’s for double vision. It seems the vision problem with PSP patients has to do with the inability to focus, and wearing an eye patch on one eye may help. I just can’t confirm it as hubby refused to wear the eye patch, but thought to share this info in case it will help.

• Thanks bianca, absolutely all information helps so thank you for responding x

• HI, Des had prisms made when he first found reading impossible.They were expensive and took a long time to be made and arrive.They took some getting used to and I suspect Des had lost his ability to learn new skills.If you do get them make sure his glasses are "snug" fitting all the time the prisms are heavy and so the glasses fall off if you are not careful.If the patient is still able to learn worth the try but....Good luck Px

• Thanks loopylugs , that’s what I think, worth I try, but I’m not confident x

• Hi. Have you tried talking to the pspa , they may give you some good advice....Brenda

• I will ask them, thanks Brenda x

• Hi

Working well for rog, enabling him to still feed himself although messy! Beware the eyetest, paid over 300 quid for new glasses , when we saw the consultant he said load of rubbish completely wrong prescription and prescribed just distance glasses, needless to say we got our money back!

Have a good day

Julie

• Thanks Julie for the heads up x

• I got them from america on line-cost about $25 as opposed to in australia-$167-a giant ripoff.

They were very helpful as my husband's eyes were looking down at his food (because of the prism) not straight ahead so he could put the fork or spoon into the food instead of just guessing and spilling it everywhere

• Thank you x

• Amanda let's us now how your dad gets on with them please xxxx

• Of course, Yvonne x

• Hi . Not sure on prism glasses but there are glasses that you get to lie down and watch TV. That gives a 90 degree change of view and may help. I had got it but didn't use much with my mom. It doesn't work well if the persons head is not still. If relatively still and at an angle - the TV ones I spoke of may help a bit .

All the best to your dad. Take care .

Anshuman

• Bless you, thank you for sharing x

• Ask your GP to refer him to an Ophthalmologist who will be more expert than a standard optician. We went and my husband was given Botox to try to keep the muscles in his eyes from closing, sadly for us this did not work but it is certainly worth speaking to the ophthalmologist. My husband wears prescription sunglasses and Polaroid wrap around over these to assist with glare.

• Thanks Dottie a good idea x

• My husband wears prescription prism glasses for both vertical and horizontal vision. They seem to work well for him.

• Thank you that’s good to know x

• Hi Sat, another dreaded symptom of psp, we got mt brother those glasse's did not work to long actually did not help him at all, his eyes are bad so he listens to tapes now which he is ok with. Nettie

• Bless him Nettie x

• I HAVE THE PLASTIC STICK ON ONES WHICH DO ME JUST FINE. I HAVE 2 PAIRS OF GLASSES, ONE FOR DISTANCE AND ONE FOR READING AND MY OPHTHALMOLOGIST IS ABLE TO CHANGE THE PLASTIC STICK ON ONES WHENEVER I GO TO SEE HER... I DO HAVE DOUBLE VISION THOUGH SO NOT SURE IF THEY WILL WORK IN YOUR CASE ..

• Hello Shasha, lovely to hear from you. How are you keeping?

Lots of love

Anne

• Thanks shasha, good to hear from you x

• i am doing ok thanks Heady.. i dont go onto this site as much as i used to though i have such a problem with my eyes now

You may also like...