Physical Therapy to Help Urinary Incontinence

Physical Therapy to Help Urinary Incontinence

Kathleen Roth is my new Physical Therapist.

I will start physical therapy on April 28 to help me with incontinence. I have had it for 4 months. I only use 1 pad per day, but I want it to be totally gone. My urologist wants me to have physical therapy. I agreed. I will keep you posted. I use Kegel exercises, but I need more help. I have a lady therapist. I have not met her yet, but she comes highly recommended. My urologist sends all his prostate surgery patients to her.

Pelvic Floor Exercise: Instructions for Men

Pelvic Floor Exercise for Men

Pelvic Floor contractions, often called Kegels, can be very helpful for strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor. The challenge is figuring out what you are actually doing and how to contract the muscle.

Pelvic floor exercises can help men strengthen the pelvic floor and increase or reestablish urinary control. If you have issues related to your prostate, such as an enlarged prostate, discuss with your doctor to determine the best course of action and whether pelvic floor exercise is an appropriate part of your treatment plan.

In men, the front muscle of the pelvic floor surrounds the shaft of the lower penis; the back muscle surrounds the rectum; and the center point is crossed at the perineal body. Pelvic floor exercises engage the entire region, strengthening the muscles throughout the pelvic floor. Pelvic floor exercises involve the contraction of the rectum, as if suppressing gas, and the contraction of the urethra, as if stopping the flow of urine. A properly executed pelvic floor exercise should include a slight movement of the penile head and a small lifted feeling at the perineal body.

When you perform a pelvic floor exercise, close your rectum (as if preventing a bowel movement), and then use the penile muscles to lift the penis and tighten the urethra (as if stopping the flow of urine). The strongest feel of the contraction will be in the rectum, and when done correctly, you will feel the rectum pull inward. With a full contraction of this area, you have performed one repetition. Next, slowly and with control, release. Then, release further, letting go of any residual tension in your pelvic muscles.

The easiest way to figure out what you are doing is to imagine how you “hold in” gas when you are in public. Another simple way to make sure you are contracting the right muscles is that, the next time you are urinating, try to stop the flow of urine mid-stream. You should not do this on a regular basis, as it can cause bacteria to move back up the urethra and is bad for your bladder. But you can try it once or twice to make sure you are isolating the right muscles.

Once you’ve figured out how to contract the right muscle, make a deliberate effort to contract – you will feel like you are lifting up your rectum, into the core of your body, and slightly lifting your penis. Hold for a count of three, and release.

Last edited by

5 Replies

There are many different exercises here.

• I had my first session of physical therapy on Thursday, April 28, 2016. It went well. Dr. Kathleen Roth taught me 3 different exercises and then I had to do each exercise 3 times. I laid on my back with my knees up. She placed one hand on my perineum on top of my shorts during the exercises to make sure I was doing them correctly. She used her other hand to count the muscle contractions. I did a total of 30 Kegel exercises. She said I did well. She gave me homework. I have to do each exercise 10 times each session and do 3 sessions per day for 3 weeks. I will return for more therapy in 3 weeks. So I need 90 Kegel exercises every day. That will make my muscles stronger.

• Bob, Thank you for this information. It parallels that which I received from the doctor/nurse at MSK following my robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. Of course, now the question is whether I am doing enough of them -- and doing enough of them correctly! -- to do the job. Your post was very helpful. 

• You are welcome. I learned a lot from my therapist. I have been doing Kegel exercises, but not enough. That's why I still have a little incontinence. You have to do 90 Kegel exercises daily for maximum effectiveness. They need to be spread out throughout the day so the muscles can rest in between sessions. I go back in 3 weeks for a more advanced form of Kegel exercises. Meanwhile I have to do my homework.

She also taught me how to cough, sneeze, pass gas, and stand up without squirting any urine. That is part of stress incontinence.

• rudolph10021 Keep practicing daily. You will get success.

You may also like...