Premenstrual Madness
910 members444 posts

Binge eating

Hi everyone. I don’t know who else to talk to and am brand new to this platform, but I have a horrible habit of binge eating before my period. To be honest it’s recently turned into an “all the time” thing rather than just before my period. I can’t stop eating in the evening. I go on and on and on, even though I feel full and sick and hate myself, I’m so aware of what I’m doing but if I stop eating I feel on edge. I have tried all the tricks people say: keep food in the cupboard, drink plenty of water, eat slowly, identify WHY you want to eat, distract yourself with something else, exercise etc etc I’ve tried EVERYTHING and nothing is working. I want to eat until I feel sick and if I don’t I feel so on edge. I’m at my wits end and don’t know what to do. Does anyone else feel like this?

12 Replies
oldestnewest

You know, I’m having an easier time with that since I balanced my hormones, yep once again a gotta say that! I used to binge while pms-ing too, for years...years. Get your blood work done. See how your hormones are, which are in range, get your thyroid levels checked. Being hypothyroid (common, I am) can contribute to this. Also, are you alone when you binge? Not good. My hub used to work nights. Bad for a binger alone in the house. Much better now that he’s home at night. Get a little rebounder trampoline or an exercise machine or clay or paint and turn that energy around. Restructure and reprogram your mind to get sensory pleasure from creativity or cardio! Ha! Those things help me. But number one is get your hormones balanced and take Chaste tree berry extract known also as Vitex. Take it twice a day. ❤️

2 likes

What a great answer strong heart forever!. I certainly was a binge eater before my periods and use food as a comfort device. I as well have eaten to the point of feeling sick , only to stop when I can't eat anymore. It was certainly a control mechanism for me. I agree that your hormones, more than likely cortisol levels, are out of balance. After going off contraceptives, eating a small amount of protein at each meal in order to balance sugar levels, excercising, and practicing mindfulness techniques such as meditation and yoga, I have far more control over my hand to mouth actions and feel less need to binge. I also agree that doing an activity such as excercising when you feel most tempted can help. I think I now have one main day a month where I crave sweets terribly. That all being said, I think it's important to see your doctor and discuss so you can see if there are any medical conditions causing this. If not medical, there may be psychological factors in which case a therapist bight be helpful.

Sending you healing thoughts!

1 like

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have had my hormone levels tested so often in relation to my low moods and anxiety and binge eating and they come back normal every time. I have tried coming off the pill and that made me 10 times worse. My meals are healthy and contain not too many carbs but enough, protein and plenty of veg but it makes no difference. I exercise nearly every day. Yoga is less often, maybe once a week. Meditation classes are ridiculously expensive so haven’t tried those. Sorry I know I sound like I’m making excuses for all your amazing suggestions, I really want to find a way of getting control!

Hi Ch90. No apologies necessary. We are all different. What works for one may not work for another. There is a lot of trial and error. You are brave to come here and ask for help instead of suffering alone.

So, this may sound corny, but hypnosis therapy has worked for my anxiety issues. I haven't tried it for binge eating, but I'm guessing it would do the same thing as it rewires your thinking process. You have to do it for several weeks. You might notice a difference right away, but it will probably take time. The person I like most is Thomas Hall. He offers free videos on YouTube. Here is a link to a 20 minute session.

and you can also listen to them while you sleep which is what I do. Here is a sleep session.

I have a husband who didn't want to hear it so I got night bluetooth earphones and I'm the only one who can hear it.

They also have free meditations on YouTube. Or if you want to tackle it head on, there are hundreds of binge eating videos for free. youtube.com/results?search_...

I guess everything is worth a try until you find something that works. Don't give up, You are worth the effort!

1 like

Thank you. This is incredibly useful and not something I’ve tried before. The sleep sessions sound like a good idea. I will try this and let you know how I get on. Just had an entire “sharer’s bag” of popcorn at work.... it was meant to be for everyone but I ate the whole thing !

Yes! Do let me know what you think. About the popcorn- forgive yourself and move on. At least it wasn't a gallon of ice cream :)

1 like

Have you/would you consider treatment for an eating disorder?

Yes of course, I’ve tried everything by myself and nothing works. I need help with either therapy or medication but don’t know what that would be

Perhaps look into eating disorder clinics in your area.

I have and none of them are on the NHS so they are ridiculously expensive. I would never be able to afford them. Every time I mention it to my GP they don’t take it seriously.

Ugh. I hate that. Sending hugs.

Oh boy can I relate to this! It’s like sometimes, a lot of the time I just can’t say no!

I could drink water all day long and be fully hydrated and still feel compelled to stuff my face🙈

Stronger is right though, it happens more when I’m alone too. You’re making such an effort to exercise daily and after all of that you’re bound to be hungry so you will find the balance.

Somewhere inside of you is a great big fighter, you found here, you’re already trying. ❤️

1 like

You may also like...