Premenstrual Madness
963 members486 posts

Treatments you've tried for PMDD

Hi, thanks in advance for welcoming me!

My name is Paige. I'm 26 years old, and I was diagnosed with PMDD a couple of years ago. I've been battling with it ever since. I get two good weeks out of every month before my mood plummets, and I'm depressed and extremely anxious until period comes.

I have studied cognitive behavioral therapy; I've tried a couple of different types of drugs, but I'm just not getting the relief I need. I've learned to cope with my disorder and to live in spite of it, but I don't want to be depressed for half of my life anymore. I want that time back.

Anyway, I've been reading about a lot of vitamin suppliments that have worked for some people, and was wondering what luck all of you have had with various different treatments. Any advice for me? Thanks, everything helps.

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Glad you're here, saberwing!

I also prefer supplements for dealing with my mood. One of my favorites is magnesium+calcium. It's hard to know how much you're actually absorbing though so I try to get as much as I can in my diet as well through foods high in magnesium. I also sip tea regularly and find that helps. Chamomile is the most calming for me. I've tried chasteberry (vitex) and ashwagandha as well. With these things, it's sometimes hard to notice the effects as environmental factors (daily stressors) seem so impactful as well.

I've been trying to pay more attention to my environment as well, burning pleasantly scented candles, arranging things in a visually pleasing way, dimming the lights if needed, wearing comfortable clothes.

Speaking of comfort, have you tried the self-heating pads for your cramps? You stick them directly onto your skin--they're great. ThermaCare makes some specifically for menstrual cramps. Try them out if you haven't. Also, taking an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen in the days leading up to your period can also lessen your cramps.

Hope some of this was helpful.

Sending you comfort and healing!

Red

1 like

Thanks for all of the advice, Red! I've been feeling really down about how bad my mental symptoms get. The lack of interest in everything really has me down. Things I usually love, I can't bring myself to do. I just sit here at a loss. I've been hearing calcium and magnesium help, as well as b6, primrose, and a host of others, so hearing part of that affirmed from you is a bit of hope for me, at least

I have been on Depo-provera for about 6 months now and my PMDD is completely under control. It is a shot every three months. It feels like someone punched you in the injection spot (I prefer the leg) but it is obviously so worth it. I don't get suicidal anymore. Now I just have mild cramps and sometimes get weepy. I tried to other birth controls but they had estrogen in them that triggered severe depression for me. Just make sure you take calcium while on depo-provera so that your bones stay nice and strong. My life is so much better now. I still have mental health problems but my life doesn't fall apart every month. I think I will be able to live independently some time in the next year

You may also like...