May is Fibromyalgia Awareness Month. - Positive Wellbein...

Positive Wellbeing During Self-Isolation

9,892 members โ€ข 10,406 posts

May is Fibromyalgia Awareness Month.

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator
โ€ข27 Replies

Good morning everyone,

I'm keen on raising awareness of health conditions and as we are part pot HealthUnlocked this seems very appreciate to me. We have many members from the Fibromyalgia community so this month is your month. It's also coeliac awareness month on many parts of the world and me being a coeliac I promote it.

I get really stiff and painful shoulders sometimes and have since I was a teenager and was diagnosed with fibrositis when I was a teen so I've learnt to deal with it with relaxation and exercise and fibrositis comes under the umbrella of Fibromyalgia so even though I don't suffer like many do I have lots of empathy with those who do as I know how debilitating and stressful body pain can be.

So here's a link to Fibromyalgia awareness month as there are downloadable posters that we can use like the one with this post.

supportfibromyalgia.org/fib...

If any members would like an awareness day week or month listed please say as I chase health awareness events and there are some listed under events on the home page of PWB.

Enjoy your bank holiday weekend even though it isn't feeling like May here but it is a bank holiday LOL...๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ˜Š

27 Replies
โ€ข
Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator

Here's another free to use Fibro poster so please feel free to use them to promote Fibromyalgia Awareness . ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ˜Š

Fibro family poster.
Loopyloolool profile image
Loopyloolool in reply to Jerry

Thank you for that Jerry, I have suffered with fibromyalgia for quite a while , I think fibrositis is the old name for it, it is a very debilitating disease to live with

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Loopyloolool

I realise that it is and hope it helps to publicise it.

BTCCET profile image
BTCCET in reply to Loopyloolool

It completely changes your life doesn't it Loopy?

Loopyloolool in reply to BTCCET

IT certainly does BT, do you have it too ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTCCET profile image

Yep I used to see you on the fibro forum, it seems like forever ago now xx

Ah, were you a different name then ๐Ÿค”

BTCCET profile image

Yep I was mal mal until my son gunked up my phone and I had to change it๐Ÿ™„

Yes, I remember ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜˜

10th May is World Lupus Day, a condition very much linked to fibro.

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to happytulip

Thank you happytulip World Lupus day is already listed-under events, I think lots of these auto immune diseases are linked.

Thanks for highlighting this condition and sharing your health journey.

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Imaaan

Hey thank you Imaaan ๐Ÿ˜Š

May 15- June 15 is Touretteโ€™s syndrome awareness month โ˜บ๏ธ

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Hb2003

Hey thanks Hiba I've listed it under events. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hb2003 profile image
Hb2003 in reply to Jerry

Your welcome โ˜บ๏ธ

crazyfitness profile image
crazyfitnessAmbassador

Thank you for posting this Jerry. There are so many people that suffer with Fibromyalgia (I see from looking at the reply below this is what you have as well). I'm so pleased that these conditions are recognised a lot more now and not seen as someone almost making it up as X rays and other tests didnt show anything.

Here's to all of you that have the condition, my thoughts are with you.

Alicia๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to crazyfitness

Thanks Alicia, thats right we all have to help raise awareness of lots of conditions. Your empathy is appreciated ๐Ÿ™

I hope that you enjoy your evening now. ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ˜Š

crazyfitness profile image
crazyfitnessAmbassador in reply to Jerry

We certainly do and it helps for others and the medics to understand. You're welcome and I think you do so well coping with your conditions.

Thank you and you have a good evening as well.

Alicia ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for highlighting this Jerry!

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to BTCCET

Hey you're welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š Here's another of their free posters:

Fibro awareness poster.

Thanks Jerry for sharing๐Ÿ˜Š

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to Alb2

Youโ€™re welcome ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ˜Š

Yes I was diagnosed with it about 10 years back but showed symptoms of it from the age of 5. As there are no blood tests that show it up some people even doctors don't think it exists which js extremely hard for people having to cope with it. After speaking out about it I have been astounded how many fellow sufferers I have come across.

My friend has coeliac disease and that can be quite life changing for an individual so anyone who has it has my empathy.

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to rosewine

I think youโ€™ve hit the nail on the head on why we need awareness months rosewine

I feel for your coeliac friend as it took 13 years for me to be diagnosed whichโ€™s very hard for our self esteem. But once diagnosed everything changed as your in the system.

I have lots of empathy with all others who have to live with an illness. ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ˜Š

rosewine profile image
rosewine in reply to Jerry

Jerry It took my friend about 2 years it must have been terrible for you over that 13 year wait for a diagnosis. Something as simple as forgetting for a moment and licking her granddaughters ice-cream had her using to the loo. Sticking to the diet isn't always easy but it makes such a difference to her life. Probably like you I think awareness works both ways as sometimes it can make you aware of symptoms that you might be having that had remained diagnosed and give you the courage to ask your doctor whether you may be suffering with a certain condition. For instance I have known medical people who have admitted they knew very little about fibromyalgia especially if they were an older doctor so how can they diagnose a condition they know little about.

Jerry profile image
JerryAdministrator in reply to rosewine

Thank you rosewine this is why we have to raise awareness as Dr's aren't aware of every illness or condition sadly...

You may also like...