Should b12 injections be taken before... - Pernicious Anaemi...

Pernicious Anaemia Society
22,697 members16,009 posts

Should b12 injections be taken before a diagnosis is received?

Bonjourtristesse
Bonjourtristesse

Hi,

I found this post and I don't understand it.

healthunlocked.com/pasoc/po...

I have low ferritin and b12 levels (discovered by private tests) but have been told I am fine and levels are within range. I started b12 injections weekly 3 months ago and saw a very good improvement initially which seems to have tailed off. I have tried to take iron supplements but struggle as it affects my already poor digestion and causes constipation. Doctors have not been helpful with any of the above. My main symptom is fatigue.

I am so sick of being tired. I have so much stuff to do. I thought I was doing something positive by having injections but now I am concerned re: the above post. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow but am not optimistic they will take me seriously. Can anyone please translate the above into plain English? Thank you so much.

13 Replies
oldestnewest
clivealive
clivealiveForum Support

Hi Bonjourtristesse It is not uncommon for some symptoms to appear to get worse before they get better as the B12 you are having starts repairing the damage done to your nervous system and your brain starts getting multiple messages from part of the body it had "forgotten about" or lost contact with.

I sometimes liken it to a badly tuned radio on which you have turned the volume up high trying to catch the programme you want when all of a sudden the signal comes in loud and clear and the blast nearly deafens you.

A lot will depend on the severity and longevity of your B12 deficiency as to how long before there is no further improvement or recovery.

Some symptoms will "disappear" quite quickly whereas others may take months or even years. There is no set timescale as we are all different.

Do you know what your Folate level is?

It is also important that your Folate level is monitored as this is essential to process the B12.

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depression

Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body.

I suggest you make a list of your symptoms and present this to your doctor and ask him/her for treatment of them rather than just looking at test results.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (one of many causes of B12 deficiency) for more than 47 years.

I wish you well.

Nackapan
Nackapan in reply to clivealive

Didn't see this!! Same said though I think

Hmm the doctor thinks the injections are a placebo because I wasn’t technically deficient.

Spartone is a good way of taking iron . It's very genthe like Solgar. Both I have tolerated well.

You don't say what b12 test you took.

Doctors at least 'on board ' with loading doses and 2 or 3 month maintenence b12 injections if you are deficient and have an absorbtion problem.

The post wasn't clear. Advice was wanted of how often to inject and how much. So impossible to answer without any facts. The doctor would need to advise. On here we help each other as some doctors do not prescribe what we need. Nice and bnf guidelines help. Also it should go by your symptoms not just numbers.

I took spatone but my iron levels actually went down. I was taking at least two a day. I’m not sure what the answer is.

I have been told to take 3 sachets a day of spatone. I altervnate tbough with solgar . I also took ferrous sulphate initially prescribed. I have a blood test in August so will see!

Don't be concerned.

There is no real evidence that having injections can cause a functional deficiency.

Thanks that’s helpful.

Are you supplementing with up to 5 mg of folic acid a day to support the B12? And a daily multivitamin to replace the other vitamins, minerals and metals that get used up when metabolism kicks into high gear once the cells get B12?

I split my folic acid into 2x 800 mcg OTC tablets three times a day for a total of 4.8 mg.

I’ll also take methyl sublinguals 2x 5000 mg with the noon and afternoon folic acid to help with energy. I’m on weekly cyano injections.

I am taking a multivitamin. I’m not not sure how much folic acid it has. You take sublinguales and injections?

Yes. Injections for the regular supply and sublinguals to fill in. GP won’t increase the prescription for the B12 injections at the moment. The supplements really help clear the head before meetings. Or keep me going through the day.

You almost certainly do not need 5 mg of folic acid a day. That is the amount doctors will prescribe - for short-term usu to treat a severe deficiency. 400 mcg a day should suit almost everybody.

Nackapan
Nackapan in reply to fbirder

I took 400mcg aday and then went above range. I'm experimenting with a lower dose and see what bloods say. I'm only going by range the blood form says is within normal. What is the optimal number be?

You may also like...