Pernicious Anaemia Society
16,712 members β€’ 11,575 posts

Vitamin D

Someone, on Bone Health, has answered someone, that you can only get Vitamin D from the sun.

Surely that's not true?

No it's not true.

17 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

I get my Vitamin D prescribed in tiny blue capsules from Tesco beginner1 :)

At my age I no can longer process it from the sun although even with my digestive problems I may get some from foods that provide vitamin D which include:

Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.

Beef liver.

Cheese.

Egg yolks.

There are also foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.

Oh dear the sun's just gone in....

3 likes

Thanks clivealive is it ok if I put your info on that site.

With the weather we have been having I imagine most of the population of GB would be suffering from vit D deficiency.

1 like

You may wish to omit my quip about Tesco but the rest of the information is freely available online.

1 like

Will do, thanks.

Most of the population in the UK probably IS suffering from a Vit D deficiency. Here are the NICE guidelines about it :

cks.nice.org.uk/vitamin-d-d...

The UK is far too dark. we should campaign for prescribed holidays in the sun during the winter :)

6 likes

Hubby and I had been living in Crete for a few years when we tested insufficient and we both supplement. 😊 VitD is a steroidal pro-hormone and anti-inflammatory - so more than a vitamin.

vitamindcouncil.org

grassrootsheslth.net

Dr Sarah Myhill has a great page on Bones on her website ....

3 likes

Hi Marz Lucky you, I'd love to live somewhere sunny.

Thanks for the Dr Sarah Myhill reference, I will look at it.

No one else picked her/him on that nonsense.

drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Osteopo...

Cannot do links on my phone - now on the PC before shutting down - we are two hours ahead here !!

So you can now bring the Bone Health Group up to speed on all the other nutrients needed :-)

Yes we moved here in 2004 - on retiring .... still working though. We have a Guest House in the olive grove and a studio beneath us .... so busy busy. At least I can get my thyroid hormones and B12 jabs OTC with little hassle :-)

3 likes

Hi,

Links about Vitamin D

nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-...

patient.info/health/osteopo...

patient.info/doctor/vitamin... This link is aimed at medical profession.

2 likes

I get most of mine from a bottle of vegan cholecalciferol. 🌞

1 like

My understanding is that, yes, you do require sun on skin for your body to make its own Vit D I get a good diet of D foods and take a large Vit D3 supplement. It is why it is so important for people who can go out very little, or who for various reasons need to be covered up when out, there are many people who cannot tollerate sunshine on the skin, to have their Vit D levels checked. I did hear rumours that my local GPs surgery was going to stop doing these blood test checks!!! I do hope just a rumour.

1 like

There are few foods that contain significant vitamin D. Yes, quite a few contain some vitamin D but it is difficult to get a reasonable amount without either sunshine on skin or supplementation - whether that is as a separate supplement or because a manufacturer has added it to a food product. (In the case of milk in the USA, they don't add it so much as expose milk to UltraViolet light.)

2 likes

My G.P. surgery won't test Vit D levels. I bought a home test kit for Β£8 and tested it myself. Result was that I was deficient and needed supplements, which the G.P. prescribed on seeing my test result.

2 likes

Hi topazrat where do you get the kits from, I really should test for vit D.

On Amazon if you search: 1 x Vitamin D Level Insufficiency Deficiency Testing Kits (1 Test) That will bring up the Β£7.99 one. It only gives a rough guide and is a bit fiddly to use. Or there are other tests on there at about Β£20-30, which you send of to a lab for more detailed results.

1 like

Thanks. topazrat

1 like

I have posted the vit D information on Bone health and hope they ignore the incorrect information.

Thank you.

You may also like...