High B12 and Folate but still exhausted and brain fog - please help

I've had high serum B12 for several years now. Even without supplementing it has been around 800-900 ng/L. After supplementing with about 100mcg of B12 for a few months and retesting in January 2017 it is now over 2000. I've since stopped because my GP keeps expressing concern over it.

January 2017

Serum Folate 23 ug/L (3.1 - 19.9)

Serum B12 > 2000 ng/L (187 - 883)

I had an iron infusion in November 2016. I retested a week ago and results are as follows:

April 2017

IRON *29.05 umol/L 6.60 - 26.00

T.I.B.C 58.05 umol/L 41.00 - 77.00

TRANSFERRIN SATURATION 50.04 % 20.00 - 55.00

FERRITIN *152.7 ug/L 13.00 - 150.00

I am getting treatment for my underactive thyroid and I'm a regular on the ThyroidUK forum but something makes me thing it could be something else. I lost my job in December 2016 due to my fatigue and brain fog. I've been doing absolutely nothing since then and yet I still feel fatigued and brain fogged throughout the day. I'm beginning to panic now because I'm not seeing any improvement.

Current Symptoms

Poor concentration

Hot feet at night

Frequent urination

Constant fatigue

Insomnia

Very tired and lethargic upon waking

Unable to tolerate stress

PMS

High cholesterol

No libido

Viral Labyrinthitis in 2011 and 2016

Easily chipped teeth

Bleeding gums

Polymorphic light eruption

Random eczema like rashes

Delicate skin, easily bruised and takes a long time to heal

Brittle, flaking nails

Weight gain and impossible to lose weight

Muscle aches and tightness

Frequent constipation

Bloating

My GP referred me for chronic fatigue back in January and I received a call after 5 months yesterday from a hospital clinic and I declined because I've heard that they don't really help and then you get labelled with chronic fatigue. I honestly don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi

So sorry to hear you are going through the mill, I can understand. Just one thought initially have you had your vitamin D checked can't see it on the blood test.

Mark

• Vitamin D in January 2017 was 68nmol/L (51 - 75).

I'm currently taking 5000iu of D3 each day with Vitamin K2 MK-7.

• Hi Serendipitous,

I have seen in the article by Stichting Tekort ( link on right side, under Pinned Posts ) regards elevated levels being a result of underlying illness ( in article " Treatment with high doses"..... 6th one down in list. ), but they seem to be extremely high levels, re 30,000 !

It does state further investigation is reqd , if levels high without taking B12.

I`m sure someone will be along with more knowledge than me shortly.

ATB

You may also like...