B12 and Folate blood test results

Hello, I have been advised to come on to the Pernicious Anaemia Society to ask about my B12 and Folate results. I recently had a blood test done, it was mainly to check thyroid levels but some other things too. I would be very grateful for any comments or advice on my results as I see my doctor next week to discuss my blood test results.

Here are my results:

Vitamin B12 269 (Deficient <140 / Insufficient 140 - 250 / Consider reducing dose >725 pmol/L)

Serum Folate 2.40 (8.83 - 60.8 nmol/L)

Ferritin 55.9 (20 - 150 ug/L)

Vitamin D (25 OH) 7 (Deficient <25 / Insufficient 25 - 50 / Consider reducing dose >175 nmol/L)

Last edited by

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Your B12 is well within range.

Your folate and Vit D levels are low. Buy some folic acid tablets and some vitamin D from Tesco. Take 800 ug of folate and 10ug of Vit D each day.

• Although B12 is well within range it is possible to be deficient at that level. However, given the overlap of symptoms with folate, vitD and thyroid I would suggest sorting out any problems with those first and then coming back to B12 if you continue to feel ill.

I am assuming that you aren't supplementing B12 at the moment and would advise that you don't for now. The serum B12 test isn't one where you can go purely on the numbers - symptoms are an important part of evaluating a deficiency (as would be a full blood count) but folate deficiency is going to have affected the full blood count as an indicator.

• Welcome to the site Jann.

The BCSH guidelines state you are at higher risk of PA/B12 deficiency if you also have Hashimoto's thyroid disease and, although many symptoms overlap, reading through your past posts, I note you've also been experiencing neurological symptoms, which include tingling and numbness. Therefore, this and any other neurological symptoms you may have from reading the list in the B12def. link given below should be treated according to the UKNEQAS guidelines below:

ukneqas-haematinics.org.uk/... :

“In the event of any discordance between clinical findings of B12 deficiency and a normal B12 laboratory result, then treatment should not be delayed. Clinical findings might include possible pernicious anaemia or neuropathy including subacute combined degeneration of the cord."

Not to treat adequately according to BNF guidelines 'until no further improvement' would be risking irreversible neurological damage as there is no gold standard test - see the BMJ research document summary below:

cmim.org/pdf2014/funcion.ph...

The above latest BMJ UK research document is supported by many research papers:

"Summary points

Vitamin B12 deficiency is a common but serious condition

Clinical presentation may not be obvious thus leading to complex issues around diagnosis and treatment

There is no ideal test to define deficiency and therefore the clinical condition of patients is of the utmost importance

*There is evidence that new techniques such as the measurement of holotranscobalamin and methylmalonic acid levels seem useful in more accurately defining deficiency

If the clinical features suggest deficiency then it is important to treat patients to avoid neurological impairment even if there may be discordance between the results and clinical features"

*. "However, it is important to recognise that clinical features of deficiency can manifest without anaemia and also without low serum vitamin B12 levels. In these cases treatment should still be given without delay.4 13"

b12deficiency.info/b12-writ... (and an excellent film)

Very best wishes

PS You probably already know that D3 supplements are best taken with K2 to ensure it goes to the bones and not the arteries.

You may also like...