What do you think of my blood results?

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this (if you do!). Another member suggested that I post on here. I feel really frustrated and fed up today and I could really do with some advice.

I've been struggling with the following symptoms for quite a few months now and I feel like they're progressively getting worse:

Overwhelming tiredness (not always, but more and more often), lack of motivation for anything... even the thought of replying to a text message sometimes makes me frustrated, achy muscles, pins and needles, muscle twitches and spasms, restless legs, chest twinges, racing heart, feeling hot and thirsty more often, brain fog, forgetfulness, mood swings, spider veins, veins becoming more prominent under the skin... etc. etc.

I've also been experiencing hallucinations or 'movements' in my sleep (not so much recently but more so a month or so ago)... during one of my dreams, I dived out of bed and broke my nose!

I went to see the doctor, who then asked me multiple times if I see these hallucinations in the day... I said no, it's only during my sleep each time and then he suggested that I might need some counselling. I tried to suggest there may be more to it and I got offered sleeping tablets and told to come back if symptoms persist. I then went back a few weeks later and saw a lady, who said something along the lines of 'we often see patients who are tired all the time, have a blood test and then are completely fine and it always turns out to be their lifestyle'... I continued to persist and fortunately I managed to get a blood test... anyway it all came back 'normal' and the doctor never called me back. I obtained the results online:

25-Hydroxyvitamin D2 level - Result: 2.7 nmol/L - Normal range: N/A

25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 level - Result: 51.6 nmol/L - Normal range: N/A

TOTAL 25-HYDROXY VITAMIN D - Result: 54.3 nmol/L - Normal range: N/A

HbA1c levl - IFCC standardised - Result: 30 mmol/mol - Normal range: N/A

Serum folate - Result: 3.5 ug/L - Normal range: 3 - 16ug/L

Serum vitamin B12 - Result: 218 ng/L - Normal range: 150 - 900ng/L

Serum ferritin - Result: 23.5 ug/L - Normal range: 7 - 90ug/L

Serum sodium - Result: 141 mmol/L - Normal range: 133 - 146mmol/L

Serum potassium - Result: 4.1 mmol/L - Normal range: 3.5 - 5.5mmol/L

Serum urea level - Result: 3.8 mmol/L - Normal range: 3.5 - 7.4mmol/L

Serum creatinine - Result: 63 umol/L - Normal range: 45 - 84umol/L

GFR calculated abbreviatd MDRD - Result: 90 mL/min/1.73m^2 > - Normal range: N/A

Not available, Insufficient data to determine AKI Stage

Serum free T4 level - Result: 16.9 pmol/L - Normal range: 9 - 24pmol/L

Serum TSH level - Result: 2 mu/L - Normal range: 0.2 - 5mu/L

Serum bilirubin level - Result: 10 umol/L - Normal range: < 22umol/L

AST serum level - Result: 18 u/L - Normal range: 5 - 45u/L

Plasma ALT level - Result: 12 iu/L - Normal range: 5 - 40iu/L

Serum alkaline phosphatase - Result: 51 u/L - Normal range: 30 - 130u/L

Serum total protein - Result: 68 g/L - Normal range: 60 - 80g/L

Serum albumin - Result: 42 g/L - Normal range: 34 - 48g/L

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate - Result: 2 mm/1stHr - Normal range: < 7mm/1stHr

Total white cell count - Result: 6.8 10*9/L - Normal range: 4 - 1110*9/L

Haemoglobin estimation - Result: 133 g/L - Normal range: 115 - 165g/L

Red blood cell (RBC) count - Result: 4.48 10*12/L - Normal range: 3.8 - 5.510*12/L

Haematocrit - Result: 0.37 Ratio - Normal range: 0.37 - .47Ratio

Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) - Result: 84 fL - Normal range: 80 - 98fL

Mean corpusc. haemoglobin(MCH) - Result: 29.7 pg - Normal range: 27 - 33pg

Mean corpusc. Hb. conc. (MCHC) - Result: 356 g/L - Normal range: 320 - 365g/L

NB: From 23/10/2014 minor reference range changes.

Platelet count - Result: 188 10*9/L - Normal range: 150 - 40010*9/L

Neutrophil count - Result: 3.94 10*9/L - Normal range: 1.8 - 7.510*9/L

Lymphocyte count - Result: 2.33 10*9/L - Normal range: 1 - 410*9/L

Monocyte count - Result: 0.51 10*9/L - Normal range: 0.2 - 110*9/L

Eosinophil count - Result: 0.05 10*9/L - Normal range: 0 - .410*9/L

Basophil count - Result: 0.01 10*9/L - Normal range: 0 - .110*9/L

I have done my own research as the doctors I have seen are absolutely hopeless and it seems that my ferritin, folate, vitamin d and b12 are all low. However, I'm quite clueless when it comes to these results and I could do with a bit of guidance. I can't afford to go private and I never seem to have much luck finding a reliable doctor that actually takes the time to listen.

Do they actually seem that low to you? What could these results mean? I'm currently on the mini pill and sometimes bleed every fortnight or more, so I do lose more blood than I should do. I'm not sure what it could be. What are the best supplements I could take? I feel so tired, headachy and low today and I just want to get this under control.

5 Replies

• They say your ferritin should be around 80 to be optimal, b12 1000 and vit d 75, folic acid should be higher also, your results are low but not low enough probably for any doctor to consider treating they unfortunately treat only under there ranges and don't treat the symptoms, you will need to supplement yourself, lm not sure about an iron supplement, l have a doctors maintenance dose as mine goes way low at 6, vit b12 l use jarrows 5000mcg lozenge from amazon, you can buy vit d on amazon and folic, you will have to self supplement lm pretty sure, but l certainly feel so much better taking what l do eye q fish oil capsules will do no harm either good luck

• Serum ferritin - Result: 23.5 ug/L - Normal range: 7 - 90ug/L

This is a very unusual reference range. Can you check you've typed it in correctly, please.

• Recent UK documents make it clear that people who are symptomatic for B12 should be treated even if B12 blood levels are "normal" range.

What symptoms do you have?

pernicious-anaemia-society.... Click on link to Symptoms Checklist

People with B12 deficiency with neurological symptoms should receive more intensive treatment. See page 8 "BCSH Cobalamin and Folate guidelines" for recommended UK B12 treatment.

UK b12 documents

1) Google "BCSH Cobalamin and Folate Guidelines"

See 5th summary point

B12 books

"Could It Be B12" by Sally Pacholok and JJ. Stuart

"What You Need to Know About Pernicious Anaemia and Vitamin B12 Deficiency" by Martyn Hooper

UK B12 websites

• Could be B12 - normal range is based on a statistical distribution of people and is driven by formulae - it doesn't necessarily provide any more than a guide for any particular individual. There are several problems with the test done for B12 and this is one of them as B12 is one area where individual variation is known to be quite broad - your results are certainly in the grey range.

Your folate is also low which could be contributing to some of the symptoms you are feeling - as well as meaning that your body won't really be able to process the B12 you do have properly.

HbA1c is to do with glucose levels so an indicator that diabetes isn't a problem.

the MCV and MCH are both at towards the bottom of the range which could indicate that your red blood cells are a little on the small side - meaning that they aren't as efficient as they could be at transporting oxygen around your body - generally GPs associated B12 deficiency with red blood cells being on the high side - however, macrocytosis is just a symptom of B12 deficency - not a defining characteristic so you are likely to have a fight on your hands to get a B12 deficiency recognised.

Ferritin is a protein that enables your body to bind protein so if it is low that is an indicator that you may have an iron deficiency - which would be consistent with the red blood cells being slightly on the small side.

Suggest you go through the materials supplied by Sleepybunny

However, important to remember that the symptoms of B12 deficiency overlap with a number of other conditions ... and having more than one condition going on simultaneous is relatively common.

• Hi anderson29 and good morning.

I am not a medically qualified person but would be interested to know if you can think of any reasons why your B12 and folate levels are on the low side. As Gambit62 suggests "normal" is normal only if you are normal and many of us don't fall into this category.

On page 23 in the book “Could it be B12? – an epidemic of misdiagnoses” by Sally M. Pacholok R.N., B.S.N. & Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O. there is a list showing:-

Who’s at greatest risk for B12 Deficiency?

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient. Thus you need to be tested immediately if you develop the symptoms described in this chapter. However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.

Infants born to and/or breast fed by women who are symptomatic or are at risk for B12 deficiency.

Can you "see" yourself in any of the above "persons"? In addition, antibiotics, stress, extreme exercise and the contraceptive pill can have an affect on B12 levels.

You say your symptoms are "progressively getting worse" and it is these that your doctor should be looking at - not his computer screen.

On page 11 in the book "Could it be B12? – an epidemic of misdiagnoses” under the heading "Types of tests for B12 Deficiency" talking about the Serum Vitamin B12 Test it says:-

"However, it appears that these markers demonstrate B12 deficiency primarily in patients whose serum B12 is in the "gray zone" (a serum B12 result between 200 pg/ml and 450 pg/ml). We believe that the "normal" B12 threshold needs to be raised from 200 pg/ml to at least 450 pg/ml because deficiencies begin to appear in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) below 550 pg/ml

At this time, we believe normal serum B12 levels should be greater than 550 pg/ml. For brain and nervous system health and prevention of disease in older adults, serum B12 levels should be maintained near or above 1,000 pg/ml.

The book is well worth while the purchase as is Martyn Cooper's "What you need to know about Pernicious Anaemia & Vitamin B12 Deficiency" both available via Amazon - and no, I'm not on commission :)

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF,

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 μg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks.

The BNF advises that patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 μg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatment .

I wish you well for the future

You may also like...