What were the guidelines in 2006 for b12?

Hi there.  I just wondered if anyone knows the guidelines for treating b12 deficiency back in 2006? I was very ill for years and when they tested my b12 it was 115. I wasn't prescribed any tablets or injections.  Just told to eat more green veg. I did this and bought a b complex of my own accord. A year later my b12 was at the lowest end of the range but I  told by my doctor at the time that this was fine even though I was still very symptomatic.  I fear raising folate with green veg may have skewed the results. Does anyone know where I stand legally with this? I have suffered for years. 

13 Replies

• It is appalling that you were told to eat more green veggies when only meat and dairy products contain B12. If the lab's reference range showed that 115 was outside of the normal range for B12 and you weren't offered any treatment at all, but instead given inaccurate dietary advice, I would think you would probably have a case for filing a complaint. I don't know about a legal case, but I certainly would be hopping mad if that happened to me.

Come to think of it, I was once told to eat more 'unwashed' fruits and veggies to get more B12 in my system. That advice was certainly just as questionable as what you were told, so I can understand the frustration.

Have you since found a better doctor who is not such an idiot and will actually treat your deficiency? It might be better to focus on getting as well as possible before taking up a legal battle.

• Actually advice on unwashed veg is reasonable as there can be B12 traces in soil so it is one way that strict vegans are advised that they might be able to get enough B12.

• I suggest that you actually join and contact the PAS. directly.

contact details are bottom left.

You would also need to get some good legal advice if you really do want to bring a case.

• I am a member already, thank you. I should ask Martin.

• Thanks so much for relying.  Yes I was drastically below range. The pass was 188 in 2006. I've been so seriously ill and other health problems have followed as a result of not being treated adequately. Therefore, I do feel upset that my level wasn't taken seriously.  You are right about the advice being terrible. My g.ps knew that I wasn't a vegetarian so should have known that it wasn't diet related.  Even if it was i should have still had loading injections. I know what you mean about being better before considering legal action.  I don't know if I would put myself through it. I was just curious if g.ps were allowed to do nothing at all....*gasp*

• The hypocratic oath is to do no harm.  This is very different from do nothing.

• I agree with you.  Seems so wrong. I ended up getting a private doctor to get my injections.  Terrible I had to do that. I now just recently changed practice and have a wonderful doctor who said that he would provide them on the NHS. 

• We all so need a test case won to bring it to the attention of the regulators.  If you wanted to start one I know there are lots of people on here and through the Facebook support group that would like to help.  

• Thanks Denise. I guess it really depends on what the guidelines were back then. If loading injections weren't advised or high dose b12 in tablet form then I would be wasting my time . 

• The treatment guidelines in the BNF (British National Formulary) in 2006 were the same as they are now:

B12 deficiency without neurological involvement - 3 hydroxocobalamin injections per week for 2 weeks followed by a hydroxocobalamin injection every 3 months

B12 deficiency with neurological involvement - a hydroxocobalamin injection every other day until no further improvement followed by a hydroxocobalamin every 2 months

• Thank you so much.  How did you find that out? 

• I read the BNF in 2006.

• Ah that's great.  You can only find the updated versions on the Internet.  Thanks again for letting me know! 

You may also like...