Can B12 def cause very painful feet? I work 12.5 hour shifts and they start to hurt after just a couple of hours so by the end of the shift I am in a lot of pain. I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and wondered if this could all be part of the nerve problems. Been home 2 hours and resting but my heels are still throbbing. My toes go numb during the day (my shoes are not tight) and sensation only returns if I take my weight off my feet. Wondering whether to go back to my podiatrist. If I do 2 consecutive shifts I am in pain from the second I get out of bed on the second day so it just gets worse as the day progresses (occy health have said I am not to do 3 consecutive days for this very reason). I have been given insoles to correct my posture but this makes the pain worse, but they are comfortable in a normal daily situation - just not when on my feet at work all day. It makes my working day quite miserable.

26 Replies

• Low B12 can cause almost any symptom that you can think of LOL but yes it can cause foot pain, indeed it was foot pain that took me to the hospital as I thought it was Arthritis related to Lyme Disease, (I'd had Lyme) they then diagnosed Thyroid Porbs (Hashi) but it wasn't until about two years later, still in pain that I saw an Endo who diagnosed PA and it wasn't until I started the injections that the pain in my feet (and hands) went. I used to walk a lot as part of my job and the pain would be so bad it would literally stop me in my tracks, indeed I remember on my way to the hospital to see about it I stopped at the crossing and waited for the lights to change and when they did I couldn't actually walk as my feet were hurting so much. So I just stood their like a lemon. I'm still not pain free but nothing like it used to be, still takes me a while to get mobile in the mornings. I hope that things improve for you, are you on Injections as if you are you may well need to have more regular then the 3 month that they say is all that's needed. I'm on weekly that I do myself. Hope you get to feel better soon.

• I am injecting every other day. Also on ferrous fumarate, Vid D and folic acid. The hospital floors are a killer for me - any where else it would take several hours for the pain to start but at the hospital it is almost immediately. I am doing a degree but it has been mentioned twice I should temporarily step off the course until my health improves - thing is this is never going to go away, but I am struggling more with the pain when in work than my chronic fatigue symptoms. I think I am going to ring my podiatrist today. I can't cope much more - I have done 6 shifts so far on this placement and have another 27 to go and when qualified I will be working every week so I have to resolve the pain somehow. My podiatrist has checked out my shoes and is happy they are good shoes for working in (Hotters).

• I understand the reasoning that if you feel it's never going to go away, why change your life around it, but truly the body needs time to heal. Working through an injury will only make it worse and more stubborn. It's amazing how tissue can heal when given what it needs. Better to do that if possible than to compound an injury..

• I have waited 25 years to do this degree, I do not want it snatching away from me now.

• Ah, understandable.

• I know what you're going through. I was told I had plantar due to doing a lot of walking in ill fitting shoes that don't support feet(flip flops on Greek island holiday) suffered for 6 months. Now it's gone. Told to rub area as firmly as possible and put ice on. Thought would never go away! however,I think I read somewhere that there is a link with B12 def-am interested in what others say

• I roll my feet over ice after a shift and it does reduce the pain but obviously I am already in pain by then and it does not stop the pain the following day, so it helps me settle once in bed as my feet are not throbbing so much but that is all.

• Short answer is yes.

Has affected myself and my brother ... and my father

We all found that using arch supports helped but also true that none of us have jobs where we are on our feet all day.

I can get away without them nowadays - getting plenty of B12 - but had an experience a few months ago when I changed trainers and they were obviously too flat - a couple of orthopaedic heal inserts have done the trick though.

I found that, when things were bad - the inserts I was offered by NHS podiatrist just didn't work and in fact ended up with back pain if I wore them so went back to some I got from Scholl years ago - they are hard so not the best for other joints - so okay for shoes but wouldn't use them for running. They were expensive at the time but given the wear I've got from them I can thoroughly recommend them.

No guarantees it will work the same for you but may be worth a try.

• I might going back to the insoles I had before I saw the podiatrist then.

• I've heard rumblings that plantar fasciitis and hypothyroidism are linked. You may want to look into that.

I have hashimotos and when I was a teenager, I was hypothyroid. I had constant injuries in my legs- plantar fascia, Achilles, iliotibial band, compartment syndrome, etc. Also carpal tunnel. I'm in much the same situation now.

When I was my worst with low b12 I couldn't feel my feet. They felt like they were made of cold air. There was a shooting tingling numbness in my big toe and my body felt drained of blood.

As my b12 improved it felt like the sensation would turn on and off. There was a lot of burning numbness on the bottoms of my feet. I occasionally still get complete numbness in my toes just from standing.

That said it I could not say what might be causing your foot pain. I would say be extremely wary of plantar fascia surgery, I've heard a lot of horrible outcomes.

• I td the gp Tsh was not the gold standard test they all think and he said he would test Tsh then if abnormal I get t3 and t4 tested but if normal he would talk to the endocrinologist and try to get t3 and t4 tested (why not do that straight away and get it all done in one go I do not know). Anyway Tsh is normal and I am waiting to hear about t3 and t4 test. I am struggling to lose weight too - but then again no energy to exercise does not help. I have lost 5 pounds in the last 5 weeks but the weight has disappeared on the days I do not have the energy to go and get food so basically on days I have starved myself. The days I eat regularly but stick to the diet I do not lose or put on weight.

• This may interest you...http://www.northcoastfootcareblog.com/hypothyroidism-and-plantar-fasciitis/

I'm still trying to get my head around thyroid testing myself. I used to have stubborn plantar fascitis when I was a teen. Saucony grid omni shoes were helpful, although they've since changed the style.

• healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

If I remember correctly small heel lifts did help.

• I have Pernicious Anaemia, now must be 8 years. On and off though have had Plantar Faciitis wih exactly the same symptoms as yours. Sometimes have say gone shopping, maybe done a bit more walking about than usual and got to the corner of the road, put my bags down, had to just stand there wondering if I can make it any further. Have tried Volterol Gel recently which is better than most, and take Dehydracodeine. I had a period of about almost a year when it went away. Gradually came back, and I seem to have bouts when it is much worse and so painfull I am in so much pain if I go out at all, it is bad enough as it is at home. I have excercises, those shoe inserts, supposedly made up to my feet. You only get one pair on the NHS, so they don't last five minutes, need cleaning, don't fit that many shoes. You will be told what shoes to wear, preferred are tie up shoes like a decent trainer, but I don't want to wear trainers with a skirt or dress, and it is far too hot not to have sandals or slinbacks in Summer. I have bought a number of shoes with higher heels, the more expensive with cushioning and it sounds ridiculous but they have proved the best, most comfortable shoes. Flat shoes give no support, unless again are the cushioned ones, and need a small heel too. I used to work in the sailing world so was in deck shoes 24/7, maybe my feet were used to those as it killed me having to put "real shoes" on when I had to - you cannot go to a ball in deck shoes. If there is an answer to Plantar I would love to know, my excercising does not much help. I am diabetic and have Pernicious Anaemia both of which also have some bearing to Plantar. I have no feeling sometimes in the left foot, the Podiatrist (annual) was slightly concerned about my circulation in that leg too. To add to matters I have arthritis, my knees will need replacing but not till after 65. The pain in my knees, wrists, hips,elbows and shoulders, lower back for instance is awfull and my feet hurt to walk. I cannot bend over the bath to wash my hair with the shower without standing up every couple of minutes as it is hurting so much. Try your GP (good luck) I think start with the Plantar, unless you are incredibly tired, memory problems, want to sleep all the time, do sleep for maybe a whole day at a time, pins and needles. If that as well tell the GP, I say good luck as most GP's knowledge of PA could be written on half a postage stamp. I have been trying to get a consultant for years, the neurologist and haematologist went down like a lead balloon, when I explain this site and other people having identical problems I get the "look" ie., stupid woman you are talking rot. Wishing you all the best, hope you have a sympathetic GP who is willing to spend the money on the Consultants you need.

• my GP is not interested. She took advice from a haematologist who said if 3 weeks of loading doses does not completely get rid of all symptoms then they are not down to my pa. I wrote to the practice manager who did not respond but just passed it to my dr and she has referred me to the haematologist. I have heard nothing - asked at the gps twice in December to chase it up - the first time was we will chase it up and let you know (heard nothing), the second excuse was we are waiting for information from the hospital to complete your referral. In January (I visited the GP in tears but that made no difference) the gp said we are not waiting for anything and she expected me to say I had been to the haematologist, so she said she will personally chase it up - I have heard nothing and that was 11 Jan. She did refer me for a brain scan but trying to get an apt to discuss the results is impossible - I have eventually got a telephone consultation with another GP as I could not get one with her. They are not treating my son right either (see my post about my son's bloods). I am going to change surgery as soon as the haematologist & gynae referrals are sorted - don't want to move and have to start again.

• Oh sleepypuss, I, and no doubt thousands of others using this site for a start, are with you and it seems all have this problem. In Australia a friend is injected every two weeks, in China they treat every patient according to their own needs and the injection levels are far higher than the ones we receive in both countries, many European and USA etc. There was a professor in Scotland who had been doing research for 30 years I read about. This was in "Yours" magazine by a lady with PA who wrote about her "lost days" sleeping, bought her injections in bulk in Marbella where her parents lived. I must find the copy and see if I can find out where the Professor was, a University I think. I am not sure how to do it but Change.org help you do online petitions, enough signatures and it has to be discussed in Parliament. I know various societies, maybe this one, have been trying to get it recognised as a more serious disease, obviously the hierarchy have different blood or go to Harley Street so not the remotest interest. I wonder if it could be done by the people who are members/in forums etc., with getting it signed by our relatives, friends, whoever and others who have it perhaps it could get that far. I managed to get my old GP down to 8 weekly using this lady's story, and down to 6 weekly by using the story and another doctor with my current GP. Anything more than that just gets "the look", as if "I have given in on the injections, still don't believe all this sleeping and feeling low lark and can see "$£" signs in his eyes meaning money would be wasted on Neurology or anything else. Also although I have no idea what to look for in results on levels of what, I am told my levels are so good they are x number of times better than norm. The Professor said that normal differs between patients and even when it says normal can still be very ill. A lady I met has it, her son and now granddaughter also. Her son has been in a wheelchair on and off, his legs get bad periods and it is down to PA. It does run in families, is an auto immune disease, my sister has Hashimotos Thyroiditis which is another one, my daughter Adrenal problems possible Crohns. My immune system is gone, not only PA but had so many operations, abdominal mainly. I cannot work which is horrible, my arthritis is trying to murder me as well as the PA. The doctors seem to know more about Arthritis and the consultant I have for that side is lovely, caring and listens. I also believe PA has it's own form of dementia, surely Neurology comes in to that. I have been passed to a Psychiatrist, brain scan for dementia (runs down my fathers side) but not related to PA form. Does anyone know how to explain PA form to a soon-to-be-deaded-and-chopped-up-put-in-a-bin GP? I have told him about Pernicious Anaemia Society but to no avail, I know they cannot know about everything but there are quite a number at this surgery with PA now so surely a look to see what this mad woman patient is babbling about would be good here?!! I will come back to the site if I find the Yours clipping, and when I see the Psyciatrist as to what luck I have with him. Take care sleepypuss, I had a sleepover yesterday, went to bed late (midnightish) and woke up at 3.45, alarms make no difference,nor phone,mobile or door. A bomb could go off even, I am so out. Take care, the more info people can help with on this site the more we can fight, especially with your son poor lamb, last thing you need on top is having to fight for him too. I have cried at appointments, with the Nurse too, but GP gave me a tissue to take out with me! Chin up and stick together,

• wow, you got tissue? I didn't even get that or a gentle touch or kind word (things I rely on in my job). I have to touch women and give them tissues if they cry on me. I am not beyond a hug if needed too ;-) Don't get me wrong the dr was not horrible to me but she didn't actually acknowledge the fact I was upset. I handed her a list of symptoms and how they had developed since my last injection and she put it on her desk then handed it back to me when I left - she had not looked at it. The occy health physician did though and commented too.

• Did your pf resolve, sleepyb?

• I still get pain in my feet within a couple of hours of being at work, but it is more my whole foot than my heel. I have used insoles supplied by the podiatrist, I have tried different shoes and wear trainers now, I have tried having no insoles. Whatever I do I am in pain within a couple of hours and the pain is crippling by the end of the shift. I know many get sore tired feet in my job but I get it soon after starting so by the end of the shift it is bad.

• And your D is maximised? Taking a good B complex with the B12? Thyroid function perfect?

I have a bar stool in my kitchen now so I can wash up sitting down and cook, and soft mats anywhere I stand ... it helps a bit. If I find a cure I will post.

Good luck, I feel for you.

• yes on 1000iu vit D, B complex, B12, magnesium, vit K and folic acid. I don't think there is a cure, I think I am destined to be in pain at work forever.

• From my personal experience, hypothyroidism!

My own TSH only just got above local reference range but my feet were very, very painful. My symptoms started when TSH reached 2!

A year or more of levothyroxine and I felt very much better. That and using very soft diabetic insoles.

• Interesting. My TSH was 2.1 in May. I must pull my finger out and order this blue horizon thyroid test

• I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. The misguided treatment (exercises, special orthotic inserts) made things worse.

The secret of getting treated, for me, was a steadily rising TSH (from 2 to just over 5) over many months.

• Mine has risen from 1.8 to 2.1, so within range but I read on Thyroid UK not to rely on TSH levels. The lab has refused to test any other thyroid bloods. I have just this minute ordered the test from Blue Horizon.

• Best of luck - whatever happens in the results.

You may also like...