The Talk

My daughter told me today that I talk about PD alot. I told her that I didn't want to alienate her, I just want to keep her informed. In the back of my mind I did a tally of other things that come up. I had a difficult time recalling another topic. Hmmm.

Although Parkinson's has become a huge part of my life it's a hard thing for "normal" people to grasp. I guess you've just got to be there to understand how much it takes control of your soul. My advice to all of the PD sufferers out there is to keep a list of other things to talk about. Sports. Yes. Music. Great. Politics? Maybe not.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Joealt-- understand that. Thank you for the reminder - Dennis

• My family also tell me that PD is also my almost my sole subject of conversation. Must try to find other things to talk about. Trouble is if I don't talk about it, nobody else mentions it! Which I suppose is a good thing. Must add this to my growing list of New Year Resolutions.

• i think the best answer is to make a friend who is at the same stage as oneself then you can talk about it to them more and stick to one time a week to mention it to family if it is not too severe. ! i havent told most of my friends i've got it yet. I dont think labels help- just an imbalance in the body! -which reminds me i have acupuncture today -good for that!

• Good reminder. I know I talk about PD a lot as well. I guess I need to remind myself that I was me before PD and I'm still me after PD. I had plenty to talk about before the PD diagnosis so I should be able to converse about other topics now. I think that's why this forum is good because we have others that are walking in our shoes and can share or vent---whatever. Thanks.

• Monitoring my excess PD chatter is my New Years Resolution. We have this Parkinson's Community Blog to bore each other. We're so lucky!

Happy New Year!!

• my family thinks i'm "self-centered." i've wondered how you can't be when you have severe gait and balance problems and getting thru a day can be hazardous.

paula_w

You may also like...