Mucuna pruriens caused unpleasant side effects

I have been on Mucuna pruriens for 4 weeks. I had decided to go off most of my Parkinson's meds or at least decrease the doses because of the headaches I was getting from gritting my teeth. The same thing happened to me when I took Paxil and stopped when I went off it. I titrated off azilect and 1 1/2 g requip substituting 3/8 tsp. MP. I continued taking sinemet 100/25 3x daily plus the MP 3x. I could not increase the MP dose to eliminate or decrease my sinemet without feeling agitated. My restless leg has gotten so bad to be unbearable. Last night my big toe was on fire....beginnings of gout? I read levadopa and diuretics can be a risk factor. So after weighing my options I am going to go back on my requip and maybe azilect at a reduced dose.....and stop taking the MP. I wish I could have stopped all my Parkinson's meds and substituted MP......but it hasn't worked out for me. I can't help think the MP has resulted in the problems I am having now. I had such high hopes.

14 Replies

• I am allergic to 4 parkinson drugs. Everything they give me makes my symptoms worse or a body rash develops. Yesterday I experienced sharp stabbing pains in my brain. I am going off all drugs and do a complete body cleanse of all toxins and heavy metals and parastes. Will let you all know the results.. it is a known fact that the body will heal itself if all toxins , chemicals and parasites are removed. Pray for me as I stand on the Word of God and cleanse my body.

• Hi ahavasavta,

Good Luck and please keep me informed.

• Let me know how it goes I've been wanting to do the same. Are you going off all meds or just PD drugs?

• The only other drugs I take are:amlodapine for high blood pressure and antenoil. So far NO PD drugs work without a reaction. Drugs treat symptoms. I want the info on the root cause. I know I am not going back on any drugs they have prescribed. Too msny reactions!

• Salut !

How are you now ??, sorry my englinsh is little....

• Hello bmakla54,

May I please have your permission your post about mp with people who inquire about it in the future? I am continuously running into inquiries who are looking for the magic pill/silver bullet and thinking tha MP is THE answer. I don't need your name, I wIll protect your privacy. I'm not against MP but need more ammo than just my research.

Bisbee, AZ

• Hi Steve,

See my reply to oldtke. You may use my post but add I was taking the MP seed powder from Z Natural Foods in West Palm Beach, Florida. It contained the entire ingredients of the powder beyond the l-dopa content.

• I keep wondering whether to try Mucuna prurens. I suspect the Madopar is not working as efficiently as it did, and the neupro patches are now making marks appear which look like the beginnings of Psoriasis.

Even though I dont use the same place over 14 days, I think after using them over a year eventually one must be using the same places to stick them on.

without being a contortionist space does become limited.

I do think MP needs a lot more research for me to feel settled in taking it.

I must say the temptation is there.

• Hi oldtyke,

I was taking the MP seed powder that had other ingredients, such as serotonin and even nicotine.......I believe I reacted to the other ingredients. Zandopa which is FDA approved in Canada does not have the extra ingredients.....maybe I should have taken that one, but read the other ingredients were beneficial. It is hard when it is not standardized.

• Interesting re Canada. do you have a reference on the approval? thanks.

• Hi mmery,

I read this somewhere...will try to find for you.

• bmakla54,

Thanks, will do!

• Thanks for sharing, I wondered how you were progressing on the change in your meds.

• Thankss for the update.

You may also like...