Cognitive losses

Has anyone found help for cognitive losses? It is probably the hardest symptom for me to deal with. I write everything down, but still struggle, following is an example.

Have you done things that you have no recollection of? I hesitate to even share this. Recently my 16 yr. old daughter went to visit friends and was to fly home on Sunday morning. I had set my alarm so I would be up and ready to pick her up at the airport. I remember turning off the alarm and realizing that I was unsteady.

Apparently, I called a friend to pick her up, gave flight time, etc. I then texted my daughter to let her know who was picking her up. When she and my friend rang the doorbell, I was in bed in a fog. I went to the door totally perplexed as to how I could have done all of this and have no memory of it...

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • wow you sure your meds are right and your getting enough sleep at night

• What meds would help cognitive losses? From my understanding, the general PD meds mask the physical symptoms.

I cannot blame this experience on meds because I had other similar things happen before I was diagnosed and started on meds.

• armchair diagnosis here, but you were probably more ok when you made those arrangements, but your nap cleared the slate. i try to set an alarm for daytime naps (half-hour max) because if i sleep too long i am disoriented, sometimes for hours, unaware of when i went to bed or what i did before that. of course it doesn't help with that night's sleep either.

• It helps me to know that I am not the only one who has such memory gaps. My experience is similar to yours. My kids will tell me that I got up and ateor even went outside and watered the plants and went back to bed but I have no memory of it.

I wish I could find the article. When I was first diagnosed, I sat down with my kids and told them what strange behaviour they might see from me and this was similar to what the article talked about.

I know that symptoms will vary with PD. Michael, it is helpful that I am not the only one this occurs with.

I have always had trouble sleeping, in general it has become even harder to get a good night's sleep. On the other hand I have had times when I slept all night and all day.

• Recent reports on the use of the Parkinson's Improvement Programme by a school headmaster user have described great improvement in alertness and short term memory such that he can envisage remaining in work

You may also like...