Exercise and its benefits to the PWP

Here I am again, in the blogasphere! I write this blog only to tell you what has helped me, not as a medical expert, so each of you PLEASE check with your doctor before you start any program at all!!!!

I do pilates twice a week (on the recommendation of my doctor) to help strengthen my core muscles and help with my balance. In addition I do yoga 3 times a week (also on the recommendation of my doctor). I can't say enough about how much better I feel since I started.

I also have sarcoid so I get out of breathe very quickly but I still keep on going.

The benefits to me have been inmeasurable, I have gone up to an hour of pilated instead of 1/2 hour, and since I started yoga, my breathing is not as labored. I have lost weight and I think I am stronger.

So besides exercising your mind (refer to my last post) start slowly and exercise your body, no matter how little you move. But and I can't stress this enough, CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR first! And if you decide to go the route I have, please find a reputable yoga and pilates studio.

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thanks for the info. I used to do yoga and have been wanting to start again. Thanks for inspiring me!

Chris

• I have a Wii Fit and use this to do Yoga, and yes you are right it does help, although I think it is much more beneficial to go to classes.

I have also been looking for a local class to do Tai Chi. Having finally found one, it is closing as there was not enough interest. I have the DVD but cannot get to grips with this at all.

I also do a Rosemary Conley DVD which I find very good. So I try, not always successfully, to do these as often as I can. Have been advised not to exercise at the moment as I am having problems after a tooth extraction, so getting back into the routine is not going to be easy.

• have a look at taichination.co.uk , there's loads of free stuff and also an online course

• Thanks for this information. I will certainly look it up.

• Can't wait to look into this. Thanks.

• Exercise had truly improved my life. I move much slower and have leg problems when not exercising.

I am blessed with a neighbor who comes over, almost daily and we exercise together.

I have an Xbox Connect and a walking DVD we do together. Alternating between the two is helpful.

• Bravo everybody!

• This is my new passion, also. Tai chi, yoga, just move. Thanks.

• My daughter gave me this DVD:

amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Energy-R... which has both standing and sitting Tai Chi exercises. I have serious balance problems, so the seated version works well for me.

Here's another source that has both standing and seated Tai Chi DVDs:

usa.taichiproductions.com/c...

• I'm so fortunate to be in NyC and have the PD exercise program at the JCC started by Dr. DiRocco of NYU Movement Center. Hope every locale will have this soon!!!!

• Agreed, my experience is same & thank you.

You may also like...