Parkinson's Movement
15,479 members14,127 posts

Question I ask myself at the end of every day

At the end of every day , I ask myself what have I done to fight back PD? Then I check apps on my phone to see what exactly I have done.

Today, I walked over 10km and will be on my bike tomorrow at 10.30 for RPM.

This post created with the intention that people in HU share their daily physical and even spiritual activities here to motivate other members. Lets help each other.

Many thanks

Kia

40 Replies
oldestnewest

Great idea. I wish we could add photos or images to our comments so we could have one continuous string of inspirational exercise pictures.

2 likes

Hi Jim, I wish so too... FYI, I just sent a message to the Help Centre asking if they could add such a capability...

2 likes

Jim, What did you do today?

I did my 42 minutes of stationary bike, half at 90+ RPM and half at 110+ RPM.

2 likes

what's the average speed in km per hour

1 like

Normally 7km/hour but today was around 5.5km/h

7 km/hr is very fast. Do you jog and walk intermittently?

1 like

Fast walk but not jog.

That is very fast. Fast walking seems to require a special gait. I've watched a couple of videos on it, and I try to do it right sometimes, but most of the time I just walk fast. I have been focusing on my heart rate rather than time. My goal is to keep my heart rate between 80-85% of my max heart rate (MHR = 220-age) which for me is 159 bpm. So I keep it between 130-140 bpm for about half the time (about 30 minutes). I end up walking 3.2 miles or 5 km a day. I walk a third in the morning, a third during the day, and a third around sunset. In all, it takes me about an hour to do, but I go up and down several good-sized hills, so that slows me down (but is great for getting my heart pumping).

I've found some great fast-beat music, which helps a ton!

I start beginner's yoga class tomorrow. I've been watching youtube videos to get ready.

1 like

Kia what apps do you use? Thank you, Connie

1 like

Hi Connie, here is the app.

stepsapp.io/get

3 likes

Thank you Kia! I used to have a Fitbit but it broke, thanks for sharing this info!

1 like

You’re welcome Connie.

1 like

Walked a mile in hills and bike 5 miles 500 ft ascent. Easy to raise HR in hills. Great Post Kia

4 likes

Having a bit of a casual week with visitors staying but had a healthy breakfast and lunch and walked the dogs for an hour

3 likes

Great idea!

Today was an upper body strength training day for me: pull-ups, push-ups, lat pull machine, and bench press machine. It was a good day, as my muscles felt "fresh"...

4 likes

My husband is doing really well with Pd warriors. It’s been 2 weeks and I notice the difference already !! Love your posts !

4 likes

Hi, what do you mean with RPM ??

1 like

Revolutions per minute or how fast the bicycle wheels spin.

1 like

The RPM is indoor cycling class. “A trademark”

Gym day— 40 minutes on the elliptical, sometimes I get close to 30 min of 80% max heart rate, today it was more like 75%. Streeeeeetching.

2 likes

I couldn't do my exercise bike today as the electricity was off for utility work all day. Shortly, I will do my 25 minutes of stretching/Pilates/yoga that I do before bed.

4 likes

I think getting out of bed is a good start then getting my 14 year old to school walking the dogs then 25 miles on my bike anything to fight this shite condition is a positive move in my book

4 likes

Thank you for the motivation Kia 17. Apathy, depression and a bout of trigeminal neuralgia leave me completely "couched". Parkinsons is a thief. Tri Neura is a complete bastxxd. There must be more to this life.

4 likes

I went to the gym and did jogging, cycling, rowing and weights. I had lunch with a friend. Social activity is also constructive, particularly from emotional and cognitive aspects.

4 likes

Usually run about 30 km per week (in 3/4 days). Being laizy with the gym. Have to find motivation to go back. Great post Kia.

1 like

Husband did 18 holes of golf, its a good 6 mile walk he swings really hard and plays well out for 4 hours so excellent exercise, it also rests the mind as you can't think of anything else but getting the ball in the hole, he's 77

3 likes

Just came back from RPM class. Enjoyed indoor group cycling. Keep it up team.

1 like

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Today I did a 6.24 mile hike in the mountains (including a little bit of running)... It was a great day for it...

2 likes

Great idea thanks.

2 likes

Good of you, Kia. Many thanks! :-)

2 likes

I was discussing about the exercise with a doctor today. He told that for PWP walk of more than 5 km is counter productive. He told that over stretching and over doing an activity causes inflammation of muscles. I don't know if he was right or wrong

2 likes

You can definitely overdo it. Some alternate between walking one day and weight training the next. This gives most of the muscles a relatively mellow day they can use to recover. I do that when I have a sore ankle for instance. But usually the 3 miles a day I walk don't cause me any problems.

1 like

I think he is right but we cannot say over 5km. In my opinion ,as long as we donot put our body under too much pressure with physical activities we should not have any problems with exercise. For someone even 1km is too much but for another 20km isnot.

This Yoga and Meditation app is also a great friend of mine.

“Daily Yoga - Workout & Fitness”

itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dai...

Hello team

Has anyone done any exercises today? meditation? Did we fight back PD today?

yesterday my app marks walking 5.1 km and 12 floors of stairs. Normal quiet day.

1 like

Just came back from 3 km walk

1 like

Well done Iqbal.

You may also like...