PD and Lithium use: My husband was... - Parkinson's Movement

Parkinson's Movement
15,782 members14,664 posts

PD and Lithium use

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson 10 years after using Lithium for bipolar disease. His tremor and stiffness began about 7 years after starting Lithium. PD was diagnosed 3 years later. He still takes 300mg Lithium 3x/day. Is it possible Lithium use can cause PD?

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Not sure but there is a low dose version lithium orotate which is supposed to work and is safer as it is only 5 mg elemental lithium per day.

See this post from yesterday about half way down

healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

1 like

Researchers say it takes at least 10years possibly 20 years for PD to develop in a person. It is unlikely the Lithium caused his PD but perhaps it could have contributed.

I think you might like this book – "Nutritional Lithium: A Cinderella Story: The Untold Tale of a Mineral That Transforms Lives and Heals the Brain" by James Greenblatt, Kayla Grossmann.

Start reading it for free: a.co/4zmaUa1

Discusses extensively how low dose Lithium helps Parkinson's. I take 10mg every day and it helps me .

1 like

Hi Bassofspades, I'm interested in Lithium and I read that you are using it. Is he helping you with Parkinson's? What are the improvements that you observe? Thank you.

Less anxious-feeling. Less tremors. Elimination of all brain fog.

1 like

Lithium orotate is good for PD. Lithium carbonate prescribed at MUCH higher doses is for Bipolar and can cause Parkinsonism.

I think Lithium in high doses can cause Parkinsonism.

Why?

thank you, nice job!

Lithium carbonate and Lithium Orotate are not the same. The first one is a prescription med for Bipolar Disorder, the second one is OTC supplement for mood, etc.

1 like

Oh! Thank you for clarifying .

Article here talks about lithium deficiency and PD. Authored by PD nutritionist.

digital.lib.washington.edu/...

1 like

You may also like...