Coconut Lecithin Butter: Ingredients... - Parkinson's Movement

Parkinson's Movement
16,459 members15,787 posts

Coconut Lecithin Butter

park_bear
park_bear
11 Replies

Ingredients: coconut oil and lecithin granules, 2:1 ratio by volume.

Coconut oil and lecithin are both good for people with Parkinson's. A discussion of the benefits of coconut oil can be found here: healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

A discussion of the benefits of lecithin can be found here: geneticgenie.org/blog/2013/...

Here is my source for coconut oil. A good education on the details of how it is refined: azurestandard.com/shop/prod...

During winter months coconut oil kept at room temperature tends to get quite hard – not easy to butter on toast, for example.

Lecithin can be had in both granular and liquid formulations. I have experienced a liquid formulation going rancid so I stick with the granular version. The question then arises what do you do with granular lecithin?

According to Bear philosophy it is a sin to put into capsules anything that can be tasty. People think bears spend the winters snoozing away in our caves. However, your modern Bear, who has cleverly assumed human guise, whiles away his time in the kitchen inventing new recipes.

Now back to the subject at paw, or hand as the case may be. The combination of lecithin and coconut oil turns out to be quite delicious – as good as butter. In addition, even when refrigerated, it remains soft enough to be used as butter. So how to prepare it?

Lecithin is quite temperature sensitive and will easily decompose at common cooking temperatures. It should be kept below 60°C, 140°F, at all times. So, the key to preparation is a digital thermometer that reads down to room temperatures. Here is one at Amazon: amazon.com/gp/product/B01IM...

The first step in preparing this recipe is to melt the coconut oil. Getting it out of its container can be a challenge. I find a blow dryer and ordinary table knife works efficiently. Heat the knife and use the hot knife to cut out chunks of coconut oil. Melt the coconut oil in a small pot on a low setting of the stove. Now turn off the stove and measure the oil temperature with your handy thermometer – chances are it will be above 60°C. If so let it cool down. If not, return it to low heat until the temperature is in the 55 to 60° range. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle the lecithin granules uniformly across the surface of the liquid oil, cover it and set it aside. Check periodically and re-warm it to the 55 to 60° range until the lecithin is dissolved. Again turn off the stove once you have reached the appropriate temperature. It is too easy to overheat if left on the stove unmonitored. It is a slow process and can take an hour or two for the lecithin to fully dissolve. Once the lecithin is dissolved, pour into a widemouth glass jar. Refrigerate to speed solidification.

Enjoy!

11 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

Lecithin granules will lower cholesterol and triglycerides, but the liquid soft gel lecithin will not. I wonder if your coconut version will or won't? If it does lower cholesterol, that could be a problem for people who are also using cholesterol lowering meds as it could take their cholesterol level below the sweet spot. Our bodies use cholesterol and being too low can be a definite problem in the long run.

Me, personally, I detest the taste of granular lecithin that has been liquefied. That is one reason my experimental home made lyposome formulations fell by the wayside.I just couldn't get past the taste of the liquefied lecithin. That and the fact that I finally realized that my sonicator was way too under powered to create a reliable high quality lyposome! I can take the granules as the taste is hardly noticeable if I pour the granules in a small glass of water and slam it down right away without allowing the granules time to start dissolving.

I never tried mixing the granules with coconut oil, but I can eat coconut oil by the tablespoons as the taste is not a problem for me. There is a liquefied form of coconut oil, I think it is called fractionated coconut oil, but it is minus the long chain fatty acids and is used frequently as a carrier oil for other things like essential oils, but still edible. I think this fractionated form would be more in line with MCT oil products.

Art

1 like
park_bear
park_bear
in reply to Hidden

There is apparently more than one way to create liquid lecithin. It can be hexane extracted or not:

mountainroseherbs.com/produ...

"Our certified organic liquid Lecithin is produced using a unique process which does not utilize solvent or alcohol extraction."

By keeping the temperature low, it is my intention that the lecithin remains chemically unaltered. I would guess it behaves similarly to the original granulated form.

As to taste, I am confident that if you try this you will find it quite tasty.

1 like
faridaro
faridaro
in reply to Hidden

Thanks Park Bear for sharing your recipe. Could you please tell if Azure Market coconut oil comes in a glass or plastic jar? It's hard to tell by looking at the picture and I try to avoid plastic packaging.

park_bear
park_bear
in reply to faridaro

I agree plastic packaging is best avoided. Unfortunately this does come in a plastic jar.

jeanette2372

I also make coconut lecithin butter, though my method and proportions are different. This is my YouTube video showing how I make it. 🙂

2 likes
park_bear

Thanks for sharing, Jeanette!

1 like
faridaro

Since starting having some cardiovascular issues I came across the following information on lecithin that thought would be good to share. Here is the link:

consumerlab.com/answers/do-...

park_bear
park_bear
in reply to faridaro

In the matter of cardiovascular disease distinguishing correlation from causation is particularly tricky. I am in the process of writing up an analysis of two studies - one in China which showed that eating eggs was associated with reduced cardiovascular disease, and one in the US that showed the opposite. Eating eggs in the US is associated with eating bacon, but not in China. Bacon has by far the highest concentration of "advanced glycation end products" of any food. These substances are known to cause cardiovascular injury, and are most likely the guilty party in the matter. The consumer labs article states that eating eggs causes elevated TMAO. So it may be another innocent bystander.

1 like
park_bear
park_bear
in reply to faridaro

I took a look at the study, "Intestinal Microbial Metabolism of Phosphatidylcholine and Cardiovascular Risk". Only the very highest quartile of blood TMAO levels had significant hazard. TMAO levels vs CVD risk, adjusted for other risk factors:

Quartile 3 hazard ratio 1.11 P value = 0.50 Quartile 4 hazard ratio 1.43 P value = 0.02

"TMAO enhances the accumulation of cholesterol in macrophages, the accumulation of foam cells in artery walls, and atherosclerosis, all factors that are associated with an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and death."

The accumulation of foam cells that contain cholesterol in artery walls only starts after the body is fooled into thinking there is arterial injury. This occurs as a result of consuming food cooked at high temperatures. These foods contain toxic substances called advanced glycation end products. These substances are created during browning, also known as the Maillard reaction, when sugar breakdown products attach to proteins. For further detail and references, see: A Tale Of Two Studies Leads To A Deeper Understanding Of Cardiovascular Disease

tinyurl.com/y6agl45j

faridaro
faridaro
in reply to park_bear

Thank you for looking into this study. I've aware of advanced glycation end products and try to avoid cooking at high temperatures, so then TMAO may not be of concern. Appreciate you taking time to analyze information.

1 like

You may also like...