Parkinson's Movement
13,556 members12,092 posts

Find out if your doctor takes drug company money

Not sure if anybody here knows that there is a website where you can put your doctor's name and see how much money he/she received from pharmaceutical industry between 8/2013 and 12/2015. I looked up my 4 doctors and the amount was between $2,500 - $67,217 (the last one was received by my neurologist). No wonder drugs are so expensive - someone has to pay for these "gifts".

Here is the link to Dollars for Docs:

projects.propublica.org/doc...

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Boy, got you beat hundred Thirty-One thousand.

3 likes

Holy sh*t! Where is yours located?

1 like

Spokane, Washington. He was also doing some trials I don't know what kind they were, I was wondering if some of the money came for that. I have only seen him twice so far.

I looked up two of my study docs. The one for PPMI wasn't listed and the one for the focused ultrasound study (he's a "pioneer" and "foremost in his field" type) is at $33,000, so $131,000 seems high.

Interesting. Neither of mine are listed.

1 like

Mine got a smidge over 3K for DBS from Metronics.

1 like

We do not have in the UK the system that you have. Our docs are not allowed to receive payments from drug companies and the NHS negotiates the pricing of drugs for the whole service.

6 likes

thanks so much for posting this. i forwarded it to a bunch of people. my md only took $64 and my neurologist around $1600, but he never pushes anything. he knows i like to stick with the older drugs (dont want to be a guinia pig for the new ones, before theyre forced off the market for some horrible side effect). so i guess my mds didnt do too badly considering some of the other mds i saw listed.

3 likes

Is this payment legal and legitimate?

1 like

It's legal. The question is whether it's ethical.

doing an illegal activity cannot be ethical

It is legal.

Definitely taking money from pharmaceutical companies can influence the doctor. it should be illegal

2 likes

wow! one of the doctors I work for took $129,000!

2 likes

You may also like...