5-HTP in patients not taking Sinemet... - Parkinson's Movement

Parkinson's Movement
15,786 members14,674 posts

5-HTP in patients not taking Sinemet can worsen symptoms of PD

According to The Clinician's Handbook of Natural Medicine 5-Hydroxy-l-tryptophan (5-HTP) is beneficial only if used in combination with the drug Sinemet (a combination of l-dopa and decarboxylase inhibitor carbidopa). Brain serotonin is decreased in PD, but reduction in dopamine receptors is more severe. In PD, 5-HTP helps counteract negative effects that l-dopa in Sinemet has on sleep and mood. 5-HTP also improves physical symptoms of PD.

● Nine of 10 people with PD have depression as a reflection of serotonin levels. The lower the level of serotonin, the more severe the depression. Starting 5-HTP at 75  mg and increasing by 25  mg every 3 days until depression was relieved, or up to a maximum of 500  mg/day for 4 months gave impressive results in PD patients on Sinemet. Dosage range for response was only 75 to 125  mg.

● CAUTION: increasing serotonin with 5-HTP in patients not taking Sinemet can worsen symptoms of rigidity.

25 Replies
oldestnewest

I am taking 5htp with Mucuna and my symptoms impoved.

6 likes

Me too

3 likes

What dosage are you taking?

37.5 mg twice per day. Never missed a dose.

1 like

What dosage? Thanks

37.5 mg 2 x per day.

1 like

What is htp

it's a supplement

I totally agree with that. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Zoloft also do the same as 5-HTP if are taken without Sinemet.They make PD symptoms much worse. I read a research few months ago that SSRIs won’t help PD patients and other groups of antidepressants should be considered.

4 likes

SSRI did not help me, on the contrary. I tried three of them for months, under medical supervision.

Three-cyclic anti-depressant helps (Amitriptylin).

2 likes

My husband has deteriorated rapidly over the last 4 or 5 weeks with depression exacerbating his symptoms. He was started on Lexapro (same category as Zoloft) 2 1/2 weeks ago and has continued to decline. Please can you remember where you read the research as he goes back to the doctor in 2 days.

Clinician's Handbook of Natural Medicine

SECOND EDITION

Joseph E. Pizzorno Jr, ND

Michael T. Murray, ND

Herb Joiner-Bey, ND

2 likes

I will search and let you know once I found it.

Thank you so much. I've tried googling to no avail.

1 like

Complete article extracted from the book is in the following link

drive.google.com/file/d/1CQ...

Good to know. Thanks

1 like

According to Med scape,

A few reports have suggested that SSRIs may aggravate parkinsonian symptoms. However, trials assessing the effect of SSRIs on motor performance in PD patients failed to find a significant worsening of motor symptoms

medscape.com/viewarticle/47...

1 like

Thanks so much for all your input. It's really appreciated as I'm overwhelmed with everything at the moment.

Here is an older thread featuring SSRIs, bupropion/wellbutrin and tricyclic antidepressants. It notes which ones are best for PD and there are comparative studies:

healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

3 likes

Oh thank you so much for all that info. It's greatly appreciated. I must admit I'm still a bit overwhelmed with it all, but I've printed it off and I'll take it to the doctor (hope it gets well received by him).

1 like

An ssri is not the same as 5htp. Ssri's block serotonin reuptake. 5htp is a precursor to (your body making) serotonin. St John's wort is a natural ssri as well.

2 likes

Unfortunately my husband tried St Johns wort and sadly it didn't help him.

Maybe he didn't take enough or allow time for it to enter the bloodstream

Yes looking back I have wondered that myself...

1 like

St. Johns wort works very well for me.

1 like

You may also like...