Parkinson's Movement
13,213 members11,810 posts

Chest pain or tightness is it a Parkinsons symptom?

My father has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease seven months back. His gait is bit slow and the handwriting is bit slow and small. He has restlessness leg syndrome at night. He has severe body pain back and knee pain. He is given ropark .5, lonazep, Syncapone .5 ,macglaw . For the past one month he experiences right chest tightness / pain and we met a cardiologist who after taking eco and stress test have said there is no trouble with the heart. He has developed gerd symptoms. Is the chest tightness due to Parkinson's? Have anyone else experienced it? How to treat it. The chest tightness aggravates while walking and sometimes even when lying down. It commences and goes off on its own. What are we missing here?

Please help

Thank you

19 Replies
oldestnewest

maybe ask for a catheterization? My husbands ekg stress tests came out ok but when he got a cath was found to have blockage and had triple bypass

Ok. Thank you daffodil48

Hey there, While stiffness of the chest muscles can be from the PD, you should treat any chest pain or heaviness and go to the ER. Don't mess around with such pain and wait too long.

The chest pain/tightness sometimes begins with walking or doing some work. Sometimes after food and while at rest. We have met three different doctors and all seem to think there is no problem with the heart. We will go for another check up again. Thank you arwenmark

I had a similar attack, had complete cardiac workup which was normal. The cardiologist prescribed Nexium to see if that helped which it did. Does your dad take anything for gerd? If not you may ask his doctor if it’s o.k. For him to try or the pharmacist where it is an over the counter medicine now.

1 like

Thank you for the response camper1 . My dad takes esoga rd only when the gerd is unmanageable. His doctor has asked him to use it optionally when he gets heart burns regurgitation and aciidity . Will the cheat pain due to gerd begin with walking?

I even read that the anxiety chest pain feels a lots like chest issue and begins without any reason sometimes. Anxiety is also a side effect of the PD medications.

Mine did begin with walking, after taking the nexium for a couple of weeks it completely went away, that was years ago. Now every now and then it returns and I take nexium for a couple of weeks and it goes away. Anxiety can cause all kinds of symptoms. Good luck to your dad.

1 like

Ok. I will talk to his doctor about this. Good luck to you too camper1

It might be a panic or anxiety attack,

1 like

I suspect so. But does it occur without any reason/ cause at all?

Although the moment he feels it he panics and even gets depressed about it.

They don't know why the autonomic nervous system switch gets triggered on. There is a strong genetic component to all of the anxiety disorders. What you describe is called the "second panic." It is best to divert the attention with conversation, reading, etc.

movinngroovin1 Thank you very much. It's informative. I will search in this direction for remedy.

Consider Bach Flower Remedies

1 like

Ok. Sure.

I had chest tightness off and on when I was first diagnosed about 30 yrs ago. It lasted about 6 - 8 months. I haven't had it since.

1 like

Jocee Did it go on its own?

I wrote on other thread. I think it is because he is on too much meds.

1 like

Hi when I walk or talk a lot (I used to teach and HD to talk for long periods) I get chest tightness and breathlessness but I find its when my upper back muscles go into spasm.

Ok. He gets it while walking or even while talking. Sometimes it begins without any reason just like that while in rest or after a meal. Thank you for sharing Kaykaykay123

You may also like...