Parkinson's Movement

Thiamine and Benfo Thiamine Advice

I have had thiamine tablets made up for me. They are thiamine hydrochloride 130mg. And I am advised that I should take Benfo Thiamine as well. The tablets I have also include 50mg lipoic acid.

Can anyone advise me about quantities I should take. And are there side effects? Should I start slowly? Also, Sunvox, why did you say you would not be taking thiamine?

I tried reading up Dr Costantini but it is all in Italian and I haven't made much sense of it all.

18 Replies
oldestnewest

I have read where he will start with 2g, one X day. After he read my ("situation")thiamin dose was presently high and successful, I think that is why he instructed me:

11/19/2017 "

Dear Roy,

Sorry for my late, but unfortunately I can not speak English well, so it's Dr Erika Trevi who is writing these emails to you.

We don't use benfothiamine because previous trials report it does not enter in the neural cells, that's why it is not used for the diseases which don't affect the Central Nervous System (Bettendorff L.). We administer thiamine cloridrate. For your situation 1 intramuscular injection twice a week (or an oral dose of 4 grams each day, two tablets in the morning and two at lunch time) should bring to the complete regression of the symptoms in 1 or 2 months. As an attached link, you'll find a paper with the possible thiamine side effects.

In another email, I'll send you all my published studies.

Best regards,

Antonio Costantini"

His reports suggest he has presented even higher doses. With a patient not showing sustained improvement, he cuts their dose in half.

5 likes

Roy, I guess you will reach the 2 months thiamine treatment in a couple of weeks. Please let us know if you experience a complete regression of your symptom as Dr Costantini suggests.

I am still looking for improvement in tremors. I could not be happier with ALL the other areas of improvement. I will continue T-HLC the remainder of my life.

4 likes

I always read your posts. Morning Edition NPR.org health section a very interesting treatise on How we mistreat our spines and primitive societies do much better (tabletop bend) and simple tips to more advanced weight lifting stance using hip and feet shoulder width apart even sqeezing gluteal muscles as we take each step to strengthen the spine. Back pain is so common with PD. Here we have a strategy to put to practice. Whatever gives us hope to improve.

1 like

Thank you Royprop. That gives me a better idea of what to do. Do you have to maintain that high dosage? Or can one go onto a maintenance dose?

Dr Costantini is making quite a sweeping claim. Does your or anyone's experience bear that out? Are your symptoms gone? I guess even if they are ameliorated one would not complain.

I am still looking for improvement in tremors. I could not be happier with ALL the other areas of improvement. I will continue T-HLC the remainder of my life.

4 likes

Hello RoyProp,

"With a patient not showing sustained improvement, he cuts their dose in half."

Do Dr Costantini actually diminishes the thiamine dose when it does not work ?

Is it for preventing adverse effects ? Or is there an ideal dose like with mannitol ?

P.S. Will be entering my 5th week with thiamine ( 100 mg, IM, every third day) tomorrow

2 likes

5th week? You should have major improvement to report.

Dose reduction? I suspect there is a translation issue.

It has been shown by others, a rare reaction to vit B. Same can be said about aspirin.

Yes RoyProp, I'm in my 26th day under thiamine. After the first week It was as if I was cured. Even bradytachia was like gone. An amazing feeling I kept for myself.

But sleepiness and procrastination came back. The point is, what part is due to PD, and what part is due to non-chemical, rampant, depression ? What part of who I am refuses to be better ?

By the way, did I thank you enough for that thiamine issue ?

2 likes

I accept your thank you. Help me spread the good news far and wide.

5 likes

Thank you again, RoyProp.

Let's see what happens. I'm afraid of hope...

Can you tell us what specific symptoms you have found diminished with the thiamine?

I can now: button shirt, cut my food with a knife, move faster, get in and out of bed, brush my teeth...normal bowel movement.

5 likes

Good to know. I get that kind of improvement with the Mannitol. Now if I could win the war against the tremors ...I'm still fairly early in the journey yet and while they're not overtly obvious, they still drive me nuts.

Roy please tell me where to order from

Solgar Thiamin HCL 500mg from Amazon or special order from lifeextension.com

You will need to order several bottles to get you by for several weeks at 8 tablets a day.

With or without food.

You could try Google Translate, it works great

2 likes

I tried Benfothiamine and it caused a rise in blood pressure, but at the same time it helped my leg stiffness. I switched to thiamine hcl. That has not changed my blood pressure. I think thiamine is part of a puzzle. Thiamine affects cellular energy. Mannitol cleans out toxic proteins. Niagen enables cellular repair. Thiamine is not a "one bullet" solution.

1 like

You may also like...