Parkinson's Movement

MUCUNA IS THE ONLY 'MED' I'M ON. Am I being naive ?

I'm new, having joined since my symptoms have increased. PD advanced slowly over 10 yrs. I'm now a young 70. I almost recouped 7 yrs ago after trapsing around Europe for 3 weeks and became 'normal' (GO FIGURE) , till 4 months Iater I became ill with a typical winter cold accompanied by fever...then all PD symptoms reappeared.

I have never had a decent MD, and while I know they're out there I'm tired of the stress associated with appts., unnecessary, repetitive testing, and poor attitudes, thus I'm going it alone with whatever natural sources I can muster from my readings.

At this juncture, 1/2 tsp. of mucuna daily from nutravita seems to do the trick. Is there any reason I need to take prescription meds if the mucuna is helping ? I also take the usual b vitamins, coq 10, minerals,turmeric, and healthy eating.

18 Replies
oldestnewest

No!

:)

How do you know you have Parkinsons? There are many conditions that could mimic its symptoms....

2 likes

Prescription meds are pretty much only for symptom relief, so, no need.

1 like

I hope that this is not another marketing trick!!

1 like

No, just my observations of myself.

I take you diagnosed yourself, you have not had a medical diagnoses yet?

Clearly another self-diagnosis complete with "reversal" - albeit temporary...

Does the mp help the tremors...

Has so far, also gives me a sense of well being. It seems to give tremor relief, at least for me, for about 4-5 hrs. They return very, very slowly..I am supersensitive to meds, and have a slow metabolism. I started out at 1/8 tsp. 3x day...now take 1/2 daily, but going to try skipping on light tremor days.

not as well lately

We used Zandopa very successfully for the first two years following diagnosis...if it’s working for you, go for it! It’s dopa in another dress.

I've been thinking of trying Zandopa myself. Would you recommend it for movement issues? I don't have "at rest" tremors yet.

Awesome. I’m doing the same. Although I have Orthostatic hypotension and will be getting meds for that.

Hi parkie how long have you had Orthostatic hypotension and how do you manage it? I only seem to have it since diagnosis of pd and it has made me reluctant to get out alone,

I have had it awhile. Not severe- only one time did I have to stop walking and kind of collapsed on beach. -just got out of car and didn’t talk too long. I get up slowly now

I guess you've read a lot about Orthostatic hypotension ?

Mucuna contains levodopa, so no reason it shouldn't work. Clinical trials indeed show it works for PD. Concern would be lack of quality control and unevenness of dosing (since there's no FDA control), which can increase risk of dyskinesias long-term.

You may also like...