Check out this guy's stack. A lot of... - Parkinson's Movement

Parkinson's Movement
15,786 members14,674 posts

Check out this guy's stack. A lot of good research and links.

longecity.org/forum/stacks/...

(Longecity does have a lot of good researchers.)

Notice, there is a lot of overlap. Even if I could afford all this stuff, my stomach's not big enough to hold it all.

"The purpose of this stack is to possibly:

induce mitochondrial biogenisis ( PQQ, Nicotinamide Riboside )

prohibit a-synuclein aggregation ( PQQ, NAC, Bacopa monnieri, EGCG, flavonoids: Nobiletin, Apigenin, Fisetin )

increase / sustain dopamine levels ( Citicoline, NAC, Mucuna Pruriens, Bacopa Monieri )

increase glutathione levels in mitochondria (NAC)

offer neuroprotection ( PQQ, NAC, Ubiquinol Q10, EGCG, Curucumin solid lipid / micellar, Lipoic Acid, Oleuropein, Taurine, Acetyl-Carnitine, Anthocyanins, Bacopa monnieri, Vitamin D3, L-Theanine, Omega-3, flavonoids: Apigenin, Nobiletin, Fisetin, Genistein )

exhibit anti-inflammatory activity ( Curucumin solid lipid / micellar, Omega-3, NAC, Flavonoids, Anthocyanins, Oleuropein, NAC )

offer overall antioxidant protection. ( Ubiquinol Q10, PQQ, NAC, Flavonoids, Anthocyanins, Lipoic Acid, EGCG, Vitamin C with bioflavonoids )

lower homocystein levels ( Folate, B12, NAC )

Improve mitochondria function & energy ( Nicotinamide Riboside, PQQ, Ubiquinol Q10, NAC, Taurine, Acetyl-Carnitine, Omega-3, Phosphatidylserine )

Recommended Physical Exercise to improve balance and motor control :

Tai Chi & Qigong

Tai Chi and Postural Stability in Patients with Parkinson's Disease (N Engl J Med, 2012)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

Effects of Tai Chi on balance and fall prevention in Parkinson's disease: a randomized controlled trial. (Clin Rehabil. 2014 )

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/245...

A Meta-Analysis on the Efficacy of Tai Chi in Patients with Parkinson's Disease between 2008 and 2014

Effects of Health Qigong Exercises on Relieving Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease.(2016)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/278...

References:

1) Ubiquinol CoQ10

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial of reduced coenzyme Q10 for Parkinson's disease. (Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2015 )

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/260...

Decreased Coenzyme Q10 Levels in Multiple System Atrophy Cerebellum (Barca E1, Kleiner G1, 2016)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/272...

2) PQQ Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (BioPQQ)

Effect of the Antioxidant Supplement Pyrroloquinoline Quinone Disodium Salt (BioPQQ™) on Cognitive Functions (Adv Exp Med Biol., 2016)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/267...

Neuroprotective effects of pyrroloquinoline quinone against rotenone injury in primary cultured midbrain neurons and in a rat model of Parkinson's disease (Neuropharmacology, 2016)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/271...

Pyrroloquinoline Quinone Stimulates Mitochondrial Biogenesis through cAMP Response Element-binding Protein Phosphorylation and Increased PGC-1α Expression

3) Acetyl Carnitine + Lipoic Acid

Combined R-alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine exerts efficient preventative effects in a cellular model of Parkinson's disease. (J Cell Mol Med., 2010)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/204...

4) NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine )

Oral N-acetyl-cysteine attenuates loss of dopaminergic terminals in alpha-synuclein overexpressing mice (PLoS One. 2010)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/208...

N-Acetylcysteine boosts brain and blood glutathione in Gaucher and Parkinson diseases. (Clin Neuropharmacol. 2013)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/215...

5) Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Neuroprotective effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the 6-OHDA model of Parkinson's disease is mediated by a reduction of inducible nitric oxide synthase. (Nutr Neurosci, 2017)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/282...

Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids and the brain: a review of the independent and shared effects of EPA, DPA and DHA (Front Aging Neurosci. 2015)

6) Green Tea (EGCG)

Neuroprotective molecular mechanisms of (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate: a reflective outcome of its antioxidant, iron chelating and neuritogenic properties (Genes Nutr. 2009)

7) Anthocyanins

Neuroprotective effects of anthocyanin- and proanthocyanidin-rich extracts in cellular models of Parkinson׳s disease. (Brain Res. 2014)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/245...

8) Citicoline (CDP-Choline)

Citicoline: update on a promising and widely available agent for neuroprotection and neurorepair. (Rev Neurol Dis. 2008)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/191...

Citicoline in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/228...

9) Solid Lipid Curcumin

Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Novel Standardized Solid Lipid Curcumin Formulations. (J Med Food. 2015)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/254...

10) Taurine

Reduced plasma taurine level in Parkinson's disease: association with motor severity and levodopa treatment.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/260...

Mechanism of neuroprotective function of taurine. (Adv Exp Med Biol, 2009)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/192...

11) Folate, B12

Plasma Homocysteine, Vitamin B12 and Folate Levels in Multiple System Atrophy: A Case-Control Study. (Zhang S1, 2015)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/262...

Vitamins and entacapone in levodopa-induced hyperhomocysteinemia: a randomized controlled study.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/168...

High intake of folic acid or complex of B vitamins provides anti-Parkinsonism effect: no role for serum level of homocysteine.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/226...

12) Probiotics

Gut Microbiota Regulate Motor Deficits and Neuroinflammation in a Model of Parkinson’s Disease (Cell. 2016)

cell.com/cell/fulltext/S009...

Use of probiotics for the treatment of constipation in Parkinson's disease patients.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/215...

The gut-brain axis in Parkinson's disease: Possibilities for food-based therapies (Eur J Pharmacol. 2017)

sciencedirect.com/science/a...

13) Milk Thistle (silymarin)

Silibinin prevents dopaminergic neuronal loss in a mouse model of Parkinson's disease via mitochondrial stabilization.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/256...

14) Fisetin

The neuroprotective effect of fisetin in the MPTP model of Parkinson's disease. (J Parkinsons Dis. 2012)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/239...

15) Apigenin

Curcumin and Apigenin – novel and promising therapeutics against chronic neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease (Neural Regen Res. 2015)

Protective role of apigenin on rotenone induced rat model of Parkinson's disease: Suppression of neuroinflammation and oxidative stress mediated apoptosis.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/283...

16) Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) (NAD+ precursor)

Enhancing NAD+ salvage metabolism is neuroprotective in a PINK1 model of Parkinson's disease (Biol Open. 2017)

Emerging therapeutic roles for NAD+ metabolism in mitochondrial and age-related disorders (Clin Transl Med. 2016)

17) Nobiletin & Tangeretin

Nobiletin protects dopaminergic neurons in the 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium-treated rat model of Parkinson's disease. (J Med Food. 2015)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/253...

Neuroprotective Effects of Citrus Fruit-Derived Flavonoids, Nobiletin and Tangeretin in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/284...

18) Bacopa monnieri

Anti-Parkinsonian effects of Bacopa monnieri: insights from transgenic and pharmacological Caenorhabditis elegans models of Parkinson's disease.(Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/219...

19) L-theanine

l-Theanine protects against excess dopamine-induced neurotoxicity in the presence of astrocytes

20) Vitamin D

Serum vitamin D and the risk of Parkinson disease.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/206...

Systematic Review of the Relationship between Vitamin D and Parkinson’s Disease (J Parkinsons Dis. 2016)

21) Phosphatidylserine (PS)

Double-blind study with phosphatidylserine (PS) in parkinsonian patients with senile dementia of Alzheimer's type (SDAT).

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/269...

22) Olive Oil & Oleuropein

Oleuropein Prevents Neuronal Death, Mitigates Mitochondrial Superoxide Production and Modulates Autophagy in a Dopaminergic Cellular Model (Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2016)

mdpi.com/1422-0067/17/8/129...

23) Mucuna Pruriens

Mucuna pruriens in Parkinson's disease: a double blind clinical and pharmacological study. (J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/155...

An alternative medicine treatment for Parkinson's disease: results of a multicenter clinical trial. HP-200 in Parkinson's Disease Study Group. (J Altern Complement Med. 1995)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/939...

24) Magnesium L-threonate

Efficacy and Safety of MMFS-01, a Synapse Density Enhancer, for Treating Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial (J Alzheimers Dis. 2016)

IngredientDosageFrequencyAdministration

Ubiquinol CoQ10100 mgtwice daily1 Softgel morning with breakfast / 1 softgel evening with dinner

PQQ Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (BioPQQ)10-15 mgevery other day1 softgel morning with CoQ10

Omega-3 DHA + EPA (3:2)350-550 mgtwice daily1 Softgel morning with breakfast / 1 softgel evening with dinner

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)900 mgevery other day900mg effervescent dissolved in water or 600mg capsule/tablet with fruit juice

Acetyl Carnitine (ALCAR)500 mgDaily1 capsule/powder Between meals

CDP Choline (citicoline)300 mgDaily1 capsule with lunch / possible to replace with Uridine but more research is needed)

Solid Lipid Curcumin400 mgDaily1 softgel preferably with food

Phosphatidylserine (PS)100 mgDaily1 capsule with a meal

EGCG (green tea catechins)250 mgevery other day1 capsule/tablet with a meal

L-Theanine (black & green tea)100 mgevery other day1 tablet/capsule in the afternoon

Milk Thistle (silymarin)250 mgevery other day1 tablet/capsule with dinner

Vitamin B12 Methylcobalamin25 µgDaily1 capsule/tablet with breakfast

Folate (L-methylfolate)400 µgDaily1 capsule/tablet with breakfast

Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)1000 IUDaily1 softgel with breakfast

Nobiletin & Tangeretin (citrus flavonoids)100 mgevery other day1 capsule (currently found as sytrinol proprietary blend)

Blueberry Extract (anthocyanins)500 mgDaily1 softgel

Lipoic Acid50-100 mgDaily1 capsule/tablet with food (may increase effectiveness of ALCAR if taken together)

Bacopa monnieri (50% bacosides)300 mgDaily1 capsule with a meal

Taurine500 mgevery other day1 capsule between meals.

Olive Oil Fruit & Leaf (Oleuropein) Extract500-1000 mgDaily1 capsule/softgel

Raw Fruits & Vegetables5 serving(s)Dailypreferably organic / also include nuts like Walnuts Macadamias rich in omega 3

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) Niagen125-250 mgevery other day1 capsule in the morning

Vitamin C with Citrus Bioflavonoids500 mgevery other day1 capsule with food

Apigenin (bioflavonoid)50-100 mgevery other day1 capsule with food

Fisetin (flavonoid)50-100 mgevery other day1 capsule with food

Probiotic complex1 pill(s)Daily1 capsule in the morning

Magnesium L-threonate48 mgDaily1 capsule with dinner"

28 Replies
oldestnewest

Whoa!

Please show us some evidence that the person who authored the above post is a scam. Otherwise, unjustly attacking people who share their research discourages others from doing the same.

"Just take HCL instead ..." I'm so glad to learn that's all there is to it.

Have you been feeling better on thiamine hcl, personally.?

1 like

Really? Where is your evidence to back up your claims? There is no mention whatsoever to any Supplement Company or Brand in this post.

The post appears to be reliable: It includes links to published on PubMed studies as well as exercises to improve balance and well-being (tai-chi, qigong). For example the study with CDP-Choline which involved 85 Parkinson’s levodopa patients has shown great results ( ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/228... ). Also NAC has shown promising results. Most of those supplements mentioned in the post are able to cross the Brain Barrier. Some of the other supplements mentioned in this post are supportive like Probiotics for healthy gut and constipation, common in parkinson's patients, and milk thistle for liver detox. I therefore suggest you spend some time to read the posts before posting your gibberish.

Thiamine HCL is water soluble, of low bioavailability and cannot easily penetrate the brain barrier, even Benfotiamine which is lipid soluble cannot penetrate the BB. Instead Lipid-soluble thiamine derivatives like Sulbutiamine appeared to exert specific effects on brain function ( medscape.com/viewarticle/58... ). So far there is no published study of oral HCL which involves Parkinson’s patients. The study of thiamine uses intramuscular Thiamine injections and no control group and the exact mechanism of action in the brains of Parkinson’s patients is currently unknown.

If any patients of Parkinson’s claim that they have managed to cure the Parkinson’s or MSA disease by a single supplement they should make it available to the community (and win the Nobel Prize in medicine of course). A prominent member of this forum also has posted his daily regimen of supplements ( healthunlocked.com/parkinso... ).

Unless there is a solid evidence from multipurpose drug studies like Nilotinib (phase II) , Exenatide (phase III) or other experimental drugs like ProSavin, I’ll personally opt for a combination of supplements to possibly delay the progression of the disease, in combination with daily activities which improve balance and mitochondrial biogenesis ( resistance exercises, treadmill, tai-chi)

1 like

Can you publish the official *oral studies of HCI for parkinson's?

Out of those studies, only the first one involves parkinson's patients and the administration is intramuscular. No reference on oral dosage of HCI for parkinson's

the way I understand it is the dose for IM is 200 mg/week (100mg 2x/ week). The dose for oral to get the same effect is 4000mg/day Thiamine HCL. Oral is preferred except in emergent cases (whatever that is)

Actually you may be correct and that shows the very low oral biovailability of the thiamin HCL in the brain as opposed to the blood plasma.

A forum member named Roy has posted a correspondence with Dr. Costantini who suggests a whopping 4 gr of Thiamine daily equivalent to 100mg twice-a-week intramuscular injection!

healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

Numerous studies show that lipophilic disulfide derivatives have a much higher bioavailability in the brain than genuine thiamine and therefore are more suitable for therapeutic purposes. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

Possible candidates like Allithiamine, sulbutiamine may better serve the purpose and at much lower dosage.

Those 2 studies are unrelated to Parkinson's patients and BB. You confuse plasma blood levels with the blood-Brain barrier. Thus, raising free blood thiamine concentrations through oral administration does not necessarily lead to an important increase in thiamine transport across the blood-brain barrier. It would need multiple to intra-muscular dosage to reach the same biovalability with oral HCI in order to cross BB and I haven't seen yet such study so far besides andecdotal evidence

What to say, you don't even read the studies you post.

Study conclusion:

“Oral therapy is inadequate in patients who are considered to be at risk and thiamine must be given I.V (intravenously). for prompt, effective correction of its depleted brain levels. “

Most of those studies related to alcoholism not Parkinson's

I tend to believe that you promote/market specific supplements

Do you sell supplements? What is the name of your website?

RE Supplements - Various studies support most, if not all, of the referred supplements for the properties/benefits described. It doesn't mean, however, that you need to take every neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, mitochondrial-boosting, glutathione-boosting, etc., etc., supplement ever studied in order to stay ahead of the PD progression curve. Informed supplementation that address deficiencies, sound diet, regular exercise, and regular human interaction (vs a life of obsessive pill-popping) remains the best strategy until PD's 'holy grail' is found.

Mark Hyman, MD - 'Supplements for a Broken Brain' (from recent series): drhyman.com/blog/2018/01/16...

LifeExtension PD Protocol: lifeextension.com/Protocols...

LifeExtension PQQ: lifeextension.com/Magazine/...

2 likes

i Accidentally Stumbled Upon longecity last week. Great stuff!

1 like

we can argue what works and what doesnt, but when it comes to something as awful as PD and something as harmless as Thiamine, I dont see any reason not to try it.

2 likes

I agree that thiamine may be included in a daily supplement regiment, but which is the right form of thiamine for Parkinson’s that is able to penetrate the BBB and what is the right dosage which can exert specific antiparkisonian effects on brain function?

In the official study, 100mg intramuscular injections of thiamine were administered twice a week to parkinson's patients (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26505466). However I’d like to see a similar study performed with oral use of thiamine.

The published article “Costantini: the secret lies in a massive dosage of Thiamine.” (http://www.ultimaedizione.eu/costantini-the-secret-lies-in-a-massive-dosage-of-thiamine-parkinson-suffers-a-terrible-strik/) includes the following statement: “In 2011 our team was working with dosages based on the body weight: 60 Kg corresponded to 600mg of vitamin B1, to be taken orally and yielding marvelous results: the elimination of exhaustion and all the symptoms that accompany it”.

That’s considerably high dosage compared to 1-2mg of recommended thiamine dosage for healthy people and the twice-a-week 100mg thiamine intramuscular injections in the Parkinson’s study. There is no safety profile established for such oral dosage for long term usage, and I cannot find a link to the study that backs up the article's 600mg/60kg dosage claim.

Parkinson's patients of this forum experimenting such oral dosage of theamine are welcome to post their experience and how it effect their disease.

The published article is at ultimaedizione.eu/costantin...

theman12345,

You said, “Dr. Constantini has studied thiamine HCL for Parkinsons, and cured it …”

Since you used the word “cure,” I have an offer. We both sign legally binding contracts that I will take vitamin B-1 under your direction and control with witnesses and doctors certifying that I am scrupulously following your protocol and if vitamin B1 cures my Parkinson’s, I give you my house, my car, my dog, Margaret, and all my money and if it doesn’t cure me of Parkinson’s, you give me your house and car and all your money.

I'm going to start taking B-1 and I hope it's beneficial. If you don't mind a little unsolicited public relations advice, you would give B-1 lot more credibility if you didn't call people names and impugn the motives of those who disagree with you.

Please don't call me names. I'm a delicate snowflake. I am not challenging your manhood or denigrating your heritage. I would ask that you and every other person who participates in this forum stop using the word cure in the same sentence with the word Parkinson's. False hope undermines real hope.

1 like

Don't bother, the guy is just trolling around to spread his slander with no respect to the community and the PD patients. The last 20 years we’ve heard of hundreds of miracle cures, which eventually proved futile, which shows the compexity of the disease. Remind me of those glutathione injections, that patients feel “cured” as long as they receive the injections. Even Dr. Costantini does not talk about cure and suggest patients continue their medications. Personally I don’t care who is going to find the cure as long as a cure is found. If I have the chance however I could do the intramuscular thiamine injections (even though painful), but with not even a rat study published, I rather won’t try the 4,000mg oral HCL

Have you ever noticed, that the people who come on this forum and claim they know about a cure that the rest of us don't know about, don't have Parkinson's? He says is not selling anything, but the author of the article he referred us to, Bill Sardi, is selling a B-1 formulation for a mere $500 per year - which means that is not so much an article as that is the marketing piece.

I have been taking 100mg of allithiamine daily for a month now. I am feeling better, but in that time I have also increased my exercise. I can't really quantify the improvement other than feel I am stronger and more functional. I start B1/thiamine intramuscular injections tomorrow under the care of my PCP.

Please let us know of any possible benefits or side effects after the intramusculars. Allithiamine is lipid soluble disulfide and able to penetrate the BB from oral route and at much lower dosages. Which brand do you take?

Ecologic Formulas purchased through Amazon.

Yes, it appears to be the only company so far that sells “Allithiamine” on Amazon & iherb, though it is the synthetic counterpart of Allithiamine, as thiamin tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide (TTFD), not the natural form thiamine allyl disulfide (TAD) found in the garlic.

1 like

I suggest you read my discussion with this person on here:

-

healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

-

He is a criminal and a blatant liar. He recommended sci-hub to get scientific papers. That site is a pirate site that is illegal. He then denied that it is a pirate site. Simple enough. He's a crook and has few if any scruples in life.

-

It's unfortunate this forum does not have an ignore function because theman12345 would be my first entry.

1 like

Huh I can see you got admin to delete all my messages, and my account. Funny.

A lot of work here.........Thank you for getting the best out of reams of fighting PD research. I am on many of these things now. This list is a big help in my research into making a smoothie cocktail that promotes energy, relieves constipation, and is anti-inflammatory.

Okay, I'm right on it.

Thanks for posting Mary

Awesome list MB not sure how I missed it last year!! Thanks for all your research!!

1 like

You may also like...